TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
TE3 still can not access another TE3 box if the other box is in Standby. A TE3 Mini can not access its host if that host is in Standby. I know, don't use Standby. But that bug has been around a long time.
I use TE3 exclusively. I have a 2-tuner Premiere and a 4-tuner Bolt that are currently in standby. I can access both of them from my Roamio, my 6-tuner Bolt and a Mini. Although it shouldn't matter, all my devices share a MoCA network.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I think that the situation only has been exacerbated by the current glitchy-like implementation of the pre-roll ads pass-off and back, which turns a speedbump into something of a pothole. :( Hopefully, that can be improved, but the fact of the involvement of TiVo's servers conceivably will place limits on what can be done. That will get old very fast.
I believe it is technically possible for TiVo to implement pre-roll ads by downloading them in advance, perhaps in some sort of rotating fashion, all in the background. After all, the base OS underneath the TiVo code is Linux, which is perfectly capable of mulltitasking. There is no fundamental reason that the TiVo needs to wait for the launch of a recording to download the ad. It sounds to me like they've made some poor coding choices in their implementation of this "feature". It could be very snappy if done correctly.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
A better plan to monitize pre-roll ads:

1) Make it "opt-in" so that it isn't crammed down anyone's throat. Allow users to enable/disable it at their own discretion (especially if they have Lifetime/All-in).
2) Offer some incentive to watch the ads. For every ad not skipped, give a rebate/discount on the monthly/yearly cost. In other words, pass some of the revenue back to those who are willing to suffer through the ads by their own choice. Not sure what incentives would get those with Lifetime/All-in to choke down the ads, so let them opt out.
3) Mix in a healthy supply of prior Super Bowl ads (you know, the ones people *want* to see).
4) Occasionally throw in the famous Janet Jackson Wardrobe Malfunction :D

In other words, give control back to the customers. The thing that made TiVo great, in my view, was that it provided a mechanism to avoid wasting time watching the same stupid commercials over and over again. It gave us the power to watch TV on our own terms, which truly changed how we watch TV. Then it added multiple tuners and OTA capability. Then skip, quickplay and autoskip.

Now if only we could stream on our own terms, with a TiVo interface rather than a zillion other interfaces that are all about forcing us to stream on the terms dictated by the providers (often more forced ads), then TiVo would be even better. Hey, I can pipedream, can't I?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I'm on TE3 now on all my Tivos. I have an unsubscribed Roamio OTA. I want to activate it month to month with TE4, but not use it. Then contact Tivo to acquire the ads so I can then cancel the ads. Then cancel the subscription. Then if I ever move to TE4 in the future, I won't be interrupted with the ads.
That will only work if "cancel pre-roll ads" is applied to the account rather than each individual TiVo. I don't think we've been given enough information to know just how that works.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Some features are necessary, but aren't the main function of a device. Like live TV controls on a TiVo. TiVo is a DVR first, and a cable box second.
That isn't an absolute, it is in the eye of the user. Someone who mostly uses the TiVo to watch live TV would probably view the live TV controls as the "main function", while those who mostly use the TiVo as a DVR would consider that the "main function".

It's a dessert topping *and* a floor wax.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.