TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
1,532 Posts
Just got a new Bolt and I thought I was going crazy. When I play a recording the screen goes black with the spinning blue circle for a couple of seconds, then an advertisement plays for about 15 secs, then the recording starts. If you go back and play from the beginning you'll see a different ad. The ones I remember seeing are for Toyota, Keurig and Amazon.

It seems you can skip the ad by pressing fast forward but it's not that seamless.

Anyone else?
Are you a beta tester by agreement?

Never mind, asked already.

· Registered
1,532 Posts
MORONS! I had a Tivo since day 1 in 1999 to STOP ads. If you add ads, then goodbye.
I hardly watch my OTA content anyway, and already have a FIRE recast as a backup plan.

SAY NO TO ADS

TiVo confirms its customers will soon see ads before DVR recordings
I'm using Bolt Vox, TE3 so we will see. My account also say's beta privacy. I would downgrade asap as I'm sure it will be disabled.

From the link for those who did not read it and think this is just a test.

"TiVo has confirmed that it plans to place pre-roll video advertisements before DVR recordings for all customers - even those with a lifetime subscription plan. "DVR advertising is going to be a permanent part of the service,"

· Registered
1,532 Posts
While I'm not thrilled with the idea of yet another ad being stuck in place, I'm not going to drop Tivo because of it.
Replace it with what? Cable company DVR? Go all streaming/OTA? In both cases you will get a worse UI, and in streaming's case, many different worse UIs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Tivo provides no content. We pay Tivo for guide and software use. Pre roll ads from a non content provider is an insult. How about Sony adding ads to their TV every time you turn it on. Same thing.

· Registered
1,532 Posts
Note I did say I wasn't thrilled with it. But feel free to offer something better. If there is something better I haven't found it yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I understand, but for me I won't pay them to give me ads and I would use a lesser service not to be screwed over. I'm on TE3 still so I have hope their will be no ads.

· Registered
1,532 Posts
Has anyone who has seen the ads tried rolling back to TE3?

Has anyone on TE4 noticed if the software version is different when the ads show vs version without the ads?

Those who have seen the ads can you end the show then play it again, is the ad still gone on re showing the same show? real world results.

Are any ads added to premium channels like HBO?

· Registered
1,532 Posts
They've a 0$ down OTA Bolt offer on the 'main page'. I don't know how long there but maybe 'AD INSERTION' is meant to be a portion of that package. I was told in CHAT the feature could be removed like others have mentioned BUT my Bolt being still in the 'wrapper' I'm trying to do something other than connect and do the ask. I can't use the VOX options so the Bolt I've got was a 'intended video' improvement. Having already lost Xfinity VOD there's little else the Bolt can do for me. Their 'support' case options are unusual in that you can't review a case before commenting further. The 1 thing that L3TV/T-Vision was at least very good with was 'CUSTOMER RELATIONS'! You could open a case, review it, add files/snapshots. It was an actual communications event!!

If in fact the 'AD INSERTION' can be turned off maybe I'd do something different. If my Bolt in the wrapper can still be rolled back to TE3 with ads removed and 'LOCKED' in TE3 then I'm maybe good.

Might be a BOLT CableCARD AISP available soon!
That zero down Bolt is not related to the ads, it's zero down with a higher monthly rate. I have one of the cable card zero down bolts, it's $20 a month vs $15 a month for 2 years.

On a side note, not on demand, but HBO Go now works on Comcast.

· Registered
1,532 Posts
Going with your made up numbers we have 10% of ~300,000 customer is 30,000 retail customers forgoing a new purchase they may never have made anyway. That is small compared to the 7+ million OEM cable company subscribers who pay monthly and will watch the pre-rolls happy that auto-Skip removed the other 16 minutes of ads.

Honestly the only reason TiVO didn't start serving up ads sooner is because of the Patent $$$ coming in. That's gone and something needs to replace that recurring revenue stream. Feel free to suggest one.
I get tired of hearing how retail is worthless to Tivo and their bread and butter is MSO's. Show some facts to support this because if it was true why not just kill off retail Tivo if it's such a burden.

Also Tivo should have waited and put the pre-roll ads in their new content. That would be fair.

· Registered
1,532 Posts
Getting this crap removed may not be as easy as some have reported - my experience so far is a bit different.

I sent an email in from the TiVo support site telling them I wanted it off of my Bolt. The email did automatically open a support case, so I KNOW they saw it. Today that case is closed with no contact to me in any way, and the nasty garbage pre-roll commercials are STILL on my Bolt!
My opinion on this. Tivo has a number of ads it needs to deliver via contract or a target goal. It's possible that if the number calling to stop this is to many that it hurts this ability, they will no longer allow it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.