TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
....and I just moved everything over to Hydra a few weeks back, moving to a new Bolt and Mini Vox purchased just Sunday. Oof.

Here's the thing. If it actually worked unobtrusively, and the tradeoff was autoskipping three 3+minute blocks of commercials in return for a 15 second at the beginning of a show, then maybe. BUT, that's not the device/experience and trade off that anyone made when purchasing existing products.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
As said upthread, not notifying customers ahead of time and not prepping the loyalist retail customers just isn't the right approach. You know you are going to get the blowback regardless, so might as well be proactive about it so it doesn't look, well, kinda sneaky and callous.

Maybe they'll enable backdoor autoskip for it like we have for sps30 to keep 30 second skip as instant skip (the way God intended) vs default ffskip. :D

Given my family largely lives in our Roku apps (better speed, features vs TiVo) not as huge deal for us, but it may mean this is the last gen for me in what is my longest running tech platform. I survived losing Palm, I guess I'll survive this too.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
The idea that a preroll ad would be in any way acceptable, even your wishy-washy "maybe", as a tradeoff is moronic. They are relying on weak minded fools to say "well I'm avoiding a lot of ads with the Tivo, so I guess one little one won't kill me".
Dude, it's a device to help you enjoy TV better. No need to say *my opinion* is moronic or that I'm some sort of weak minded fool. That's just rude.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Just stumbled upon this very long thread. Can someone please give me the CliffsNotes version. Is this indeed happening, and exactly which boxes will be affected? Thanks!
Yes. TE4 and maybe TE3 boxes. No official word from TiVo to customers, just TiVo spokespeople commenting to reporters.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
I'm just hoping TiVo at some point does communicate to their customers (other than via press comments) as to what is actually happening, to what boxes, etc. If, as existing TE4 user, I can call or otherwise opt-out, I will keep TE4 in place.

If not, and TE3 will be exempt, I will (despite the pain) downconvert my new Bolt and Mini Vox to TE3, especially as when I prepped the wife and family to expect ads they spoke up and told me how much they hate TE4.

I'm personally ambivalent about TE4...the only real "feature" I would miss would be the Vox remote's voice functionality. I'm assuming apps would remain a bit snappier than my Roamio (still on TE3) just by virtue of faster hardware.

Edit to add: I have yet to see the ads in place on my units. I guess I'm saying if they are annoying, and if "downgrading" to TE3 is still an option, this gives me the impetus to downgrade.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.