TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
So has anyone been able to get these ads disabled for their device?

When I first saw them tonight I thought my Tivo was being weird/slow. I was trying to play a recording and it went to a black screen with a spinning circle for a bit and then I lost all video input apart from some chopped up sound. It wouldn't really respond to any input, or it would respond VERY slowly, and it took a good minute to sort of get back to live TV. I rebooted it later on after it did this again on a different recording, and then after the reboot I noticed it was serving the ad. Well, trying to serve the ad. It took a while to load it and then it was all choppy. I tried another recording and it played ok, but it was the same stupid ad each time for "see something say something" or whatever. Also, trying to skip the ad with any sort of button presses is pointless since the Tivo is so laggy and unresponsive while it's serving the ad that it'll take you longer to try to skip it and recover than to just watch it. I'm also curious what happens if your internet is down and you try to watch a recording. Does it just sit there and spin trying to reach the server?

This is truly awful. As has been said in this thread already, this feature has no business being rolled out to people with lifetime boxes, at the very least.

·
Registered
346 Posts
To me, this is actually what the the whole thing comes down to. What is the actual experience of having that ad in there. Tivo says they are skippable, but we'll see what that user experience is actually like.

It seems like I am the only person on this thread that pads my recordings. In a best case scenario, now I will have to hit the 30 sec skip button 5 times instead of 4 (I pad by 2 min), or hit the commercial break skip button if that works. All of my recordings already have ads at the beginning, 2 min worth, it's just from the previous program, although sometimes its the previous program itself.

Having 6 tuners and being able to auto pre and post pad a program is one of the great features of a Tivo.

My fear/concern is that this pre-roll ad won't let me queue up 30 sec skips like normal. I'm also suspicious of those BSC blocking the skip presses. I can see lots that could go wrong with integrating a video source from the net with a local video source. Waiting for an ad to download that I'm just going skip would not be optimal.

But if they can make it work like normal skipping (not auto-skip) does mid-program, then it won't actually change much of anything for me. That is until the ad skip feature is turned off, but I'll worry about that then.
Yeah, I mean if they played a short ad before my recording and it was quick and seamless to load (and responsive if you wanted to back out of it), then I wouldn't be nearly as annoyed. But making my Tivo behave like it's in the process of having a stroke while it's trying to load the stupid ad, and then having the entire process of serving the ad take at least twice as long as the ad itself is unacceptable.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I don't have the pre-roll ads, so I can't test it, nor has anyone explicitly reported the behavior, but my inference was that a single press of any of the listed buttons would have the same effect on the pre-roll ad.
This isn't quite correct. In addition to the several seconds of latency from when you play a recording to when the pre-roll ad begins, if I press any of those buttons it just goes to black screen for 20-30 seconds and the Tivo is totally unresponsive until I eventually get a "recording can't be played" error message and it goes back to live TV. While testing this I also saw the same recording can't be played error occasionally when just hopping from one currently playing recording to another. Probably because it can't get the ad to insert for whatever reason.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I successfully got them to flag my account for no ads on the second attempt via emailing support. The first one just gave me a bunch of info about why they're doing pre-roll ads and how to skip them, and then I opened a second ticket and said "No, please just remove me" and I mentioned Tivo_Ted and his statements here.

That said, they seem to have improved their ad serving performance at least. My box no longer freezes up for an extended period when I try to skip an ad. It actually goes to the recording within a couple seconds.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've got ads in the channel guide now. The bottom row in the guide is always an ad for Tivo+ or some random Tivo+ channel. I've been opted out of pre-roll ads, but I'm still seeing these. Less annoying I guess, but still dumb. Tivo+ is full of worthless content nobody cares about, and I don't care to be spammed about it. I can use channel list to control which channels I see in the guide so I don't appreciate Tivo cramming other crap I don't need in there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.