TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
If I'm scrolling through the guide and end up on a channel that had a show that ended at an odd time, say 7:02pm. And the current time is 7:15pm. It wont automatically move to the current times program.

So I scroll down, don't notice the sliver of a show that ended at 7:02pm. But thats what the guide ends up on. So when I hit ok to go to that channel it goes to the show that ended at 7:02 and asks if I want to set up a one pass for it (or stream or something). I do this regularly but I don't remember exactly the message for it.

Fios dvr goes to the current time/currently airing programming.

editing to add: I just did this on 692. Its running a couple Schitts Creek in a row that last one ended at 5:31pm. It asks if I want to create a one pass or bookmark the previous episode instead of going to whats airing now.
You named one. Such a minor one for a box that otherwise is horrible. I got a TiVo because the fios interface is among the worst in the land. Horrible controls on setting up recordings. Unpopulated guide past a couple of days. Slow and clunky. Extremely inconsistent. Horrible closed captioning. But, yes, it may handle slivers of time better. Woo hoo!

Wait. It didn't do it for me. It picked the Schitts creek that is over two minutes ago. Oops.

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
This, 1000%. I don't have an issue with Amazon, Netflix, YouTube doing this. I have a major problem with Tivo doing this, and for them to compare themselves to any content provider/streamer doing pre-rolls is ridiculous.
My problem with TiVo doing this is that they are, effectively, modifying the recorded program by inserting a preroll ad. Seems like they are violating some copyright and programming rights.

It's stupid because they open themselves up to lawsuits about skipping commercials but inserting their own. Even if they win the suits, they are opening themselves up to legal costs.

But my real problem is that I'm betting this is not going to be quick or seamless. I've seen enough of their blue circles to know it is going to cause problems.

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
I don't see much reason why they couldn't do it in realtime. YouTube and Hulu do it. I'd agree that the probably are pre-downloading. All we really need is someone with TE4 who is getting these ads to go into their router and see if their TiVo uses a bunch of bandwidth when they go to start up a show.
A bit of a difference for an application that is 100% streaming and tuned for that versus a device that relies on data on the local drive. The latter takes an infrastructure and probably programming change to pull video from a central server efficiently. And we have seen how inefficient all data pulls from the TiVo servers have been.

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
If I were getting these ads (I'm not), I would try going into my router and schedule (via parental control on my router) the Tivo so it is only allowed to connect to the Internet once a week between the hours of 2 AM and 6 AM. My thinking is that they cannot stream an ad when the Tivo cannot access the Internet.

Has anyone tried this? I don't see how it could cause a problem as long as you give it enough time to download the guide. The only way Tivo could counter this would be to download a lot of ads to your Tivo while it is updating the guide and then insert them into the show. I suspect they would not try this because filling up our hard drives with ads would really get lawyers involved.
If you do that, you also eliminate the streaming options from your TiVo (Amazon, Netflix) and severely hamper the graphic loads the TiVo does which could cause slowness all around. And once a week? Guide updates need to be more than that.

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
That's what I would have thought. Just seemed odd that the guy said it was a 10-15 minute download...
Download is just a convenient term. I'm sure it takes some time to propagate where've lists through their servers. Probably much less than 15 minutes but they like to play it safe. Then when you communicate with the mothership, it gets its status.

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
Why, and why consistently do they do so much incorrectly in the technology area, ahh, not a real tech company since raided by their current jailers, oh owners, fits.
While they sort of led in the dvr world in the beginning, I am reluctant to say TiVo was ever a great coding company. They saw the future a bit and still do (tying in streaming into one passes was forward thinking, just poorly implemented) but their execution has always been just a step off. Or have we forgotten how long it took to roll out an HD GUI?

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
That they are still running pre-roll ads. If they knew we were unhappy enough to cause them revenue loss one imagines they would stop.
Asking to opt out doesn't say you won't pay them anymore. Not paying them anymore says you won't pay them anymore. But by then you are gone. You can threaten but they won't really care if you still stay after a concession. In other words, there is little you can do that will be affective. They KNOW no one likes the ads. That's why they invented skip. They just don't care.

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
I got my first ad a few days ago and then used the URLs posted earlier in my OpenDNS blacklist. I haven't seen an ad since and my OpenDNS stats show the URLs being blocked so I know that part is working at least. I assume URL blocking will always work to a certain extent. As long as we can figure out which URLs they are using we should be able to always block it because the Tivo would need to assume "oh well the ad service is down, we need to keep the viewing process moving" and move to the DVR'ed content.
Do you get the gray arrows?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.