TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
I am now getting pre-roll advertisements every time I start a DVR recorded show on my lifetime Bolt+. This caught me by surprise. Initially I thought this was part of the DVR recorded show. I tried fast forwarding and the screen went black for about a second then the DVR recording started. After I saw the same advertisement twice for a second recorded show I broke the code and came to this thread to find out what's happening.

I wonder how many thousands of TiVo owners who don't regularly monitor this forum wondered what the heck is going on. I wonder how many don't understand they can fast forward out of the commercial. Not a word from TiVo to me that they'd be changing the functionality of their Bolt. My family finds this irritating and it adds additional steps to get to every recording. I want to opt out of this ill conceived and executed change. I won't buy a TV which makes me watch an advertisement every time it starts and I don't want my DVR forcing this on me.

Calling TiVo customer support when they open today to complain and try to opt out as others suggest.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm getting these pre-roll adverts and don't want them. I just got off the phone with TiVo Technical Support via their customer support line: 877-367-8486. I was nice and simply explained I wanted the advertisements removed each time I played a DVR recorded program. The representative was sympathetic and went off the line for a few minutes to see if this can be done. When she came back I was told this function would be removed from my TiVo Bolt +. She indicated it would take up to 3 business days. These obnoxious adverts should go away NLT Wednesday or Thursday. I was given a Case Number and told I'd receive email confirmation. I will report back success or not.

I suggest anyone with a Bolt who is getting these adverts and doesn't want them to call TiVo and get them stopped. TiVo needs to know if the owner community is for, against, or ambivalent.

·
Registered
190 Posts
"Enable Video Downloads

Use this setting to enable a box to download TV shows, movies, and other video content from the TiVo service over your broadband Internet connection. Specific program offerings will vary from time to time and may not be available to all subscribers. You can turn this setting on or off at any time without charge. Changes to this setting take up to 24 hours to take effect. Your TiVo box must be connected to the Internet via broadband in order to download video."

I wonder if disabling that will prevent those commercials to be on your harddrive, I doubt it will be live streaming the ads as not all have true broadband speeds.
I'm getting the pre-roll ads. It does have the appearance of live streaming these ads but it may be going to the HD and taking its time to load. I'm getting the same "blue swirl" connecting to server indication before the advert starts as I get when using any live stream app on my TiVo, i.e., Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.. Your suggestion may work. I prefer to contact TiVo and get it turned off as I've done today and obtained a case number. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Pre-Roll Ads Opt-Out Update: Opted-out last Sunday with Case Number. Still getting Pre-Roll ads. Auto-skip has no effect. Must manually skip. If TiVo Ted is correct ads should go away by Thurs-Fri. I should meet TiVo Ted's opt-out criteria for tenure, etc., though his statement leaves the possibility TiVo can arbitrarily deny owners opt-out request. I'll keep you posted.

With due respect to TiVo Ted who I greatly admire and thank for being here, I don't share his view that pre-roll ads are fine on his TiVos. I'm not okay with them on mine. I was confused when they began because TiVo didn't provide pre-notice to customers nor were we told how to skip them or how to opt-out. I find it ironic that on TiVo's main website today (Tivo.com) in big bold print at the bottom it states "Dreams come true. No more commercials." They ought to add "except when watching recorded programs".

1 - 5 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.