TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Go Pats!
10,354 Posts
I have mixed emotions about this.

In principle, I am pissed. And once we know more and see what is going to be the full roll-out plan and all I will voice my feelings with them as a subscriber from back at the turn of the century.

In practice, I may be willing to live with it for now.

I have a Bolt on TE3 (downgraded from 4). Our needs are rather simple. I have mentioned to my wife that if the box stops functioning totally (it is lifetime), in that if the service ceased to exist totally, we would prob look closely at youtube TV.

In addition to our TiVo Bolt, we also have an apple TV and also have subs to Prime, Hulu, and Netflix, and use all 3 of those equally. Oh, we will also have a year free of Apple TV+ as we are buying our daughter a new phone in a few weeks.

With prime and hulu we get pre roll stuff. It's not the end of the world. So TiVo doing this is something I can get used to (process-wise) if I have to.

The things that will upset me, together, would be forcing me onto TE4 and a very poor implementation of the pre-roll ads that could cause the box to boot or lag or whatever.

TiVo has my money because I very much like the service/interface (TE3). if that stays mostly intact then I will be ok.

Again, I will still speak my voice as best as I Can, but with a LT box, there's really no way to put more weight behind my feelings as they already have my money.

·
Go Pats!
10,354 Posts
I guess I should add that for my wife and I, there’s still a decent amount of content we do like to get from cable so I sorta want to keep things going with TiVo as long as I can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Noelmel and WVZR1

·
Go Pats!
10,354 Posts
Question....the ads truly are PRE-roll, right? I.e., they only kick in when you start a program from the beginning, right? It won't happen when you pick up in the middle of a program or resuming after a pause?

Reactions: Noelmel

·
Go Pats!
10,354 Posts
If you look at his TCF profile you can see his last visit was yesterday.
LOL....I read it as maybe Ted actually visited Dan. silly me.

Reactions: aristoBrat

·
Go Pats!
10,354 Posts
Has anyone with TE3 seen ads yet?

·
Go Pats!
10,354 Posts
From one of the news reports.......the pre-roll would occur once, when a recording first was played back, and that the pre-roll then would not recur for that show.
Sorry for the delay in joining the conversation. I came back from CEDIA with a nasty case of food poisoning that ended up with me in the ER on a drip line for dehydration. No fun.

The ads are served dynamically when playback starts at the beginning of a recording playback. ........To ensure the experience remains consistent these ads are skippable using the same buttons you would use for ad-skip (Chan Up, D, SKIP and FF). ........
First, Ted, I hope you are feeling better. Food poisoning is no fun at all.

Now, there's an ambiguity here that should be addressed if we can. When you start playing a show, for the very first time, does it set some form of flag? What I am trying to get at is when you are done watching a show, where you have played it through to completion, but you don't delete it, when you next go back into the NP list, and select that show (where you get the details before you actually start PLAYING it), it appears like it hasn't been played yet (where it says "play" rather than "resume playing"). So I guess what I am trying to ask/find out is if subsequent (re)play of a show would cause an ad to get served when you first start playback on your rewatch?

Ted, as others have also asked, I would like to know if this will come to TE3 and if there are any immediate plans to force upgrade to TE4? If that were the case, this particular long-time owner with one LT Bolt would not be happy.

·
Go Pats!
10,354 Posts
Sorry, "Maintenance mode" = "Bug fixes only".

Pre-roll ads are a "feature".
Thank you for the clarification Ted. Again, given how you must be feeling your participation today is very much appreciated.

I'd like to follow up your response with another question. Do you have any knowledge at this point if TE3 users will be forced to upgrade any time soon?

It's great that maintenance mode means no ads for TE3 but how long will TE3 be kept alive?

·
Go Pats!
10,354 Posts
That's very troubling. It seems logical that it would do the exact same thing if the TiVo servers went down.
I hope that this is not the case

·
Go Pats!
10,354 Posts
.....I'm going to say something that is probably unpopular here.

If it helps to keep TiVo selling retail boxes, the commercials really aren't a huge issue for me. I would rather have the commercials with TiVo than no commercials and no TiVo. Of course, zero pre-roll ads would be great, but it's only a quick button press to skip them; then the rest of the program is commercial free with Auto Commercial Skip. So, basically, it's a single button press more and you're done.
I'm with you 100%. I also would prefer no ads, but for me, having TiVo is the most important part of the equation. And one more button press is not that big a deal to me. Heck, I don't even care that I don't have auto-skip. And there are even times where I use the FF method to advance even though I know I have the Skip button.

Every person is different. What is important to each of us may be different. But I wholeheartedly agree that perhaps the situation could have been handled differently.

·
Go Pats!
10,354 Posts
Every TiVo post on Facebook this week is filled with comments about preroll ads. If I weren't already a customer it'd definitely give me pause.
I see what you did there..... well played! Oh shoot I just did it too... LOLO

·
Go Pats!
10,354 Posts
I think I sense a good movement in this thread. Some do the heated convo had died down which is good. But we just make sure that anyone that gets ads and had problems or difficulties of any kind that you put as much detail herein regarding what’s happening, what box you have, connection type, speed, etc. this will be the only way folks at TiVo will know what is happening at least to users herein. Of course they may choose not to read at all.....

·
Go Pats!
10,354 Posts
I do like your use of the term "side grading". For ME, being a strictly record/watch person TE3 is an "upgrade" from TE4. Only thing "I" would/will miss on TE4 is auto skip. And hey, if I had to I could do without regular skip, I was a pro at fast forwarding just enough where the few second pullback would leave me right where I wanted to be ;)
Yup same. Most programs overlay the show rating for a few seconds in the upper left corner. So I just look for that, hit play, and BAM I'm where I need to be

·
Go Pats!
10,354 Posts
Heard from a friend in the beta program that they are looking for people to test a "patch" for TE3 this month. No further details were given.
That could be worrisome.

·
Go Pats!
10,354 Posts
This thread has left the notion of rational conversation behind. Time to finally unsubscribe from this post.

·
Go Pats!
10,354 Posts
Mark my words.. the next "feature" will be post-roll ads, everytime you exit a show you will be forced to watch a ad..
Well, you could just walk away and go to the bathroom or something I guess.

Reactions: Noelmel and Bigg
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.