TiVo Community Forum banner
1041 - 1060 of 1099 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Returning to a partially watched recording from live TV often takes me to the wrong point in the recording.

I was doing this today. I left a recording for live TV several times during an hour. Even though I eventually reached viewing points near the end of the recording, each time I went back to it from live TV the recording began playing at 10 minutes in. I had to FF to find the place I had left off.

The starting point varies with different recordings. Sometimes the return point changes in a given recording. So I might have viewed through 40 minutes of a recorded show. After I leave it and go back later, the return point can be any random place in the recorded show (but always earlier than where it should be, never later).

I think this is happening only while the recorded program is still in the process of recording. I haven't noticed this behavior with shows that have finished recording. At least not yet.

Kind of annoying.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Two comments:

1) Every poll I've seen of users ends up almost exactly 50/50 on approval of Hydra (the new UI)
2) Whether retail users like it or not is irrelevant. TiVo's MSO customers demand the highly graphic UI of Hydra.

TiVo doesn't care whether you use Encore or Hydra...all they care about is not losing MSOs to Comcast, or some other UX vendor.

·
I Am Sometimes Vocal
980 Posts
Two comments:

1) Every poll I've seen of users ends up almost exactly 50/50 on approval of Hydra (the new UI)
2) Whether retail users like it or not is irrelevant. TiVo's MSO customers demand the highly graphic UI of Hydra.

TiVo doesn't care whether you use Encore or Hydra...all they care about is not losing MSOs to Comcast, or some other UX vendor.
I still do not understand why you are always siding with Hydra and who are these "MSO"s that provide Tivo boxes?

There are many features that I am dying for in this, but Tivo, Inc as usual, as you said sorta, Piss Off 50% of their customers who have paid dearly for their equipment...

And Where is Ted and Where are new updates? (since it is soooo perfect....NOT!!!)

·
I Am Sometimes Vocal
980 Posts
I'm just letting TiVo know, hoping that they do consider our feedback, that I believe the new UI is a step in the wrong direction.
I applaud you, BUT They really could care less, in my opinion, but I have always criticized their software development and project development...and have let them know it since 2012 when I got my first tivo!

:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::D

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
...and who are these "MSO"s that provide Tivo boxes?
Limiting my answer to Hydra (from the earning statement):

TDS Telecommunications, the seventh largest local exchange telephone company in the U.S., chose TiVo's Next-Gen Platform, to bring innovative entertainment solutions to its customers.
  • RCN Telecom Services, Atlantic Broadband and Service Electric have begun deploying TiVo's Next-Gen TiVo Experience 4.

TE3 is used by other MSOs. BTW, the above information can be found in their respective threads.

·
Unregistered User
323 Posts
Limiting my answer to Hydra (from the earning statement):

TDS Telecommunications, the seventh largest local exchange telephone company in the U.S., chose TiVo's Next-Gen Platform, to bring innovative entertainment solutions to its customers.
TDS appears to rank 20th in the cable market, with a tiny 145K of subscribers.

List of multiple-system operators - Wikipedia

·
Registered
328 Posts
It is interesting,to me, that a bunch of systems and sites have recently updated their look and interface and certainly the updates generally haven't made people happy - companies seem to want to change looks rather than add features - making many features even harder to use

·
Unregistered User
323 Posts
It is interesting,to me, that a bunch of systems and sites have recently updated their look and interface and certainly the updates generally haven't made people happy - companies seem to want to change looks rather than add features - making many features even harder to use
It's the Fisher-Price / emoji / pictograph effect. It's been going on for a few years, driven by the fad to dumb down user interfaces overall. Eventually the pendulum will swing back to the middle.

·
Registered
13,218 Posts
The vast majority of MSO customers do not use TiVo. The ones that do are a tiny percentage of the MSO market.

List of multiple-system operators - Wikipedia
They do not but what is important is the percentage of TiVo customers that want or use hydra, not what percentage use TiVo. Haven't we established that the MSO base is larger than the direct to consumer base?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I still do not understand why you are always siding with Hydra and who are these "MSO"s that provide Tivo boxes?

There are many features that I am dying for in this, but Tivo, Inc as usual, as you said sorta, Piss Off 50% of their customers who have paid dearly for their equipment...

And Where is Ted and Where are new updates? (since it is soooo perfect....NOT!!!)
For their US partners see: US Operator business

For European MSOs see: TiVo In Europe: 2.5 Million Served

AFAIK, Virgin and Ono have shipped Hydra based units, RCN is planning to, and others are considering when to do so.

I am "siding" with Hydra because I happen to like it quite a bit, just as you "side" with Encore because you prefer it. To each their own.

That's why they make both vanilla AND chocolate.

What I don't understand is why so many of those that dislike Hydra seem so angry about it. But then again, being angry seems to be at epidemic levels these days.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
The vast majority of MSO customers do not use TiVo. The ones that do are a tiny percentage of the MSO market.
But yet they generate WAY more revenue (and more importantly, profit) than do all the retail users. There are also many more users looking a TiVo UI provided by their MSO than do so because they bought a TiVo branded DVR.

You want tiny, that's the total pool of retail users.

Reactions: tim1724

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,763 Posts
My impression of late (as a general observation and NOT specifically relating to TiVo) is that these graphic updates often mask a downgrade in user-friendly functionality driven by the relentless search for savings in corporate operating costs. And the more ballyhoo surrounding the announcement of impending changes, the more likely that the provider is trying to mask this downgrade.

In fact, I would not be surprised if business schools were teaching this technique under the rubric of some principal such as "The Mencken Rule.":D:p

"No one in this world, so far as I know - and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me - has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby."

1041 - 1060 of 1099 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.