TiVo Community Forum banner
821 - 840 of 1099 Posts

·
I Am Sometimes Vocal
980 Posts
I am a very simple user all I want my TiVo to do is record stuff I tell it to and play it back.
AMEN!!!

maybe a teeny bit more (tivo to pc transfer), but not much...I gave up my Netflix Streaming when they wanted 2 bucks more a month instead of $1...had it for years (before all the original programming)...sad...:D. I do wish Gen3 was a bit faster (seems they can do it) and had voice command. Oh well.

·
Early Adoptersaurus
1,235 Posts
I don't think "TiVo" would have abandon the things that made TiVo, TiVo. Rovi on the other hand having bought TiVo and rebranding itself TiVo obviously will and has or so it would seem.
I don't care for the Bolt UI, I like its speed but much prefer the look of the older interface.
I have held off on Hydra, sounds like i made a good choice for me in reading the things folks are saying here.
Besides, I can't get past Hydra being a bad guy in the world of Marvel having grown up with the comic's and now movies...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Right or wrong, given the timing of everything, it feels like the Rovi influence. Already was starting to have a bad taste in my mouth over the diminished quality of the guide data since Rovi stepped in. The guide is terrible. This is icing on the cake. Agree that it feels like their influence trying to mold things in their own image. And frankly it stinks.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I don't think "TiVo" would have abandon the things that made TiVo, TiVo. Rovi on the other hand having bought TiVo and rebranding itself TiVo obviously will and has or so it would seem.
I don't care for the Bolt UI, I like its speed but much prefer the look of the older interface.
I have held off on Hydra, sounds like i made a good choice for me in reading the things folks are saying here.
Besides, I can't get past Hydra being a bad guy in the world of Marvel having grown up with the comic's and now movies...

Hydra was designed and mostly implemented before Rovi, so any "blame" is still on TiVo.

·
Banned
1,642 Posts
^^

all this reminds me of early 80's bands that progressed and changed their sound, the early fans called them sellouts and were all of the sudden loud critics while the bands were gaining popularity.

We need the tivo cartoon video back, and with a new hydra theme at the end!!

just spare us the hip-hop or modern music though

the Ultravox sounding 80's music in the video was the best

·
I love my TiVo
736 Posts
Hydra was designed and mostly implemented before Rovi, so any "blame" is still on TiVo.
And you know this how? Link please??
Why would TiVo have gotten away from what the TiVo brand was based on that kept their small but dedicated customer base coming back

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Overall I enjoy Tivo less because of Hydra. I won't list all the awkward things about it, it's just an overall negative drain. The worst part is that everything wrong with Hydra Tivo knew about for a year. They couldn't be bothered.

Hydra is what happens when you marry yourself to a concept before any user testing. If they care at all, at their classically slow pace it'll still take at least another year to get it where it should be.

Tivo's destroyed the the myth that they tirelessly user test their UI. They got lucky once and then clung to it and coasted for 18 years.

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
Overall I enjoy Tivo less because of Hydra. I won't list all the awkward things about it, it's just an overall negative drain. The worst part is that everything wrong with Hydra Tivo knew about for a year. They couldn't be bothered.

Hydra is what happens when you marry yourself to a concept before any user testing. It'll take at least another year to get it where it should be now.

Tivo's destroyed the the myth that they tirelessly user test their UI. They got lucky once and then clung to it and coasted for 18 years.
TiVo had to get Hydra out fast to sell to small MSOs, and have something that looks new to retail xmiss customers. TiVo VOX

·
Registered
405 Posts
And you know this how? Link please??
Why would TiVo have gotten away from what the TiVo brand was based on that kept their small but dedicated customer base coming back

TiVo shows new interface 8/2016 https://zatznotfunny.com/2016-09/tivo-unveils-new-interface-completing-existing/

Rovi deal closed 9/2016.

Even if Rovi hinted to TiVo management in negotiations in 4/2016 they couldn't design and implement a public demo version in a few months.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would assume the missing functionality is the live guide? I was never a fan of it, so I didn't use it, but the up arrow serves a similar purpose, albeit in a different format. Although I can see where that would be less than ideal for someone who liked the live guide. Perhaps it will make a comeback, with so many unhappy with it's disappearance. Is there something else missing that I haven't noticed?

XP was more Teletubbies.
Thanks for the up arrow tip! I personally prefer Live Guide over Grid but the up arrow "feature" will help alleviate my disappointment that Live Guide is gone.

·
I love my TiVo
736 Posts
Soap opera starts about here -> TiVo Staffing Changes
Thank you for the link, reads to me TiVo was working on it, hydra was still in its alpha phase..maybe. Then the Rovi buy out, Rovi ran with Hydra...
I'm sure the original TiVo's (OT) research showed that a large portion of their customers are first adopters. There is their beta program already up and running.
Would the original TiVo folks have put a TiVo product out removing the TiVo personality from it which at a glance appears to be what has been done. Hydra looks very NOT TiVo, or is that that point?

Joe, thanks for the link!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a couple of missing features that I'd like to know about:

SPS feature not working. Is there a way to tell Tivo to SKIP 30 seconds instead of SLIP? I have a new box that I upgraded to Hydra, now it only does SLIP.

Cannot play an entire series by pressing the PLAY button on a folder of items. Gotta have that back.

Would be nice to have Audio apps such as iHeart and Pandora in the list of available shortcuts. I have a disabled son who uses Pandora regliously. It is difficult for him to navigate "4", for Apps, then search out Pandora.

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
I have a couple of missing features that I'd like to know about:

SPS feature not working. Is there a way to tell Tivo to SKIP 30 seconds instead of SLIP? I have a new box that I upgraded to Hydra, now it only does SLIP.

Cannot play an entire series by pressing the PLAY button on a folder of items. Gotta have that back.

Would be nice to have Audio apps such as iHeart and Pandora in the list of available shortcuts. I have a disabled son who uses Pandora regliously. It is difficult for him to navigate "4", for Apps, then search out Pandora.
When watching any recording on your TiVo press SP30S, that should give you the 30 second skip.

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
Thanks. I may have been doing SPS30S. It's been a long time since I needed to enter that code. I'll try again tonight.
I have not done it for such a long time I did get it incorrect as it is SPS30S, but you must be watching a recording when pressing the buttons, and you must press them fast.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm surprised there is so much H8torade being served up. Every company nowadays has issues, as they always have (been an software enterprise tester for 20+ years). Tivo is no different, TBH - I'm surprised this company has been relevant for so long. I guess they can thank the giants for having crappy dvr menu systems too. The only thing I'm going to ding this new UI on is the ability for customizations. Yes, the voice thing is critical - they needed to catch up there. But if you are going to put out a new UI, make it fully customizable. One thing that will keep people loyal is the ability to stick terrible images of naked ladies/guys as the back drop. Or even pre-built themes that turned the screen all to a matrix style, or a coders IDE, or into a candy crush marketing opportunity. When you can touch people on a personal level with an interface, they will sing it's praises until the next messiah comes with an even cheesier and more pepperoni type pizza. When you can provide companies a newer add platform, that gives you more coins. Hell I'm surprised they haven't touched on the VR market. You know that S is on the way!

Hell, hire me TIvO - I'll "make TiVo SMRT, again"

821 - 840 of 1099 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.