TiVo Community Forum banner
741 - 760 of 1099 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I didn't know where to post this and I'm not reading 38+ pages of stuff that may or may not answer my question. Please forgive if I am being redundant.
I got a few questions;

1) What is this Hydra UI I am reading about? I own a Bolt with a upgraded HDD, a Roamio Pro with a upgraded HDD and a Roamio Cable/OTA also with a upgraded HDD. All show 20.4.7.RC2, is that Hydra or am i missing something.

2) The Vox remote, does it need to be running Hydra to work? Does it work well? Also, i do not see a "Select" button in the pictures on the TiVo website, does that mean the "select codes" are things of the past ie. 30 skip, not this 30 second fast forward they come out doing now when new?

I guess technically that is five questions, sorry but any insight here would be appreciated.
Hydra UI:
It's a new UI that, right now, you can request early access to at www.tivo.com/newexperience

I purchased the VOX Remote (for Roamio/Mini) on a whim and didn't know that Hydra UI is required.

·
Registered
5 Posts
TiVo Roamio is lagging with Hydra :worried:

I've found that turning off Background Images alleviates the lag.

0 Menu > Settings > User Preferences > My Shows Options > Background images: > Off

It's going to take some time to get used to using the Back button, which feels less intuitive after using the traditional TiVO UI for so long.

One thing I wish they'd do is show movie posters for the recorded movies section.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
Observation. I bought a 1TB Roamio OTA on BF. It, and my previously upgraded Roamio are on the Hydra upgrade page. My basic Roamio was missing after I did the upgrade, so I guess they're giving me a second chance. I haven't applied power to the new OTA, so I will find out tomorrow if it's got Hydra.

·
I love my TiVo
736 Posts
Hydra UI:
It's a new UI that, right now, you can request early access to at www.tivo.com/newexperience

I purchased the VOX Remote (for Roamio/Mini) on a whim and didn't know that Hydra UI is required.
I just watched the video link you supplied, thank you!
That UI seems busy as hell, no live guide either. I like the live guide, it doesn't seem like TiVo anymore, is Rovi eventually going to be shoving it down our throats, like it or not?
How buggy is it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just watched the video link you supplied, thank you!
That UI seems busy as hell, no live guide either. I like the live guide, it doesn't seem like TiVo anymore, is Rovi eventually going to be shoving it down our throats, like it or not?
How buggy is it?

So far I haven't had any real bugs so to speak. My issues are with the lag. The font they use also has severe aliasing (looks very jagged) on my Dell 2408 WPF, as well as underscan (tiny bit of the edges are cut off). I know it's not a TV, but still. Didn't used to have that issue on the old UI. There's also lag for the guide. It takes about 1.5 seconds to show the details after you highlight a program in the guide.

Overall, I'm not impressed. The text is low contrast (gray on gray), and the natural language VOX features are not quite as natural as I expect. For instance, I ask it "show me movies that I recorded" and it shows me movies in general.

Based on this experience, I personally wouldn't recommend participating in the early access of Hydra. Maybe others have had a better experience?

·
TiVotarian
2,612 Posts
did they remove the plex app as an option for the shortcut page the one that is user configurable?
Yep, Plex is gone as a shortcut (21.7.2.RC8) - ARGH!
App still works though.

I lost another shortcut too, I think I had it set to Suggestions...

Executed a reboot, now on 21.7.2.RC9, I am guessing the shortcut change came with the RC9 update but didn't need the restart?

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
Yep, Plex is gone as a shortcut (21.7.2.RC8) - ARGH!

I lost another shortcut too, I think I had it set to Suggestions...
Plex was there yesterday (or the day before) under #6, now #6 is missing and so is Plex, and I have RC11

·
UHD Addict
24,271 Posts
I have plex shortcuts with rc8 and rc9.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
The one thing I HATE is the overall lack of COLOR. Did they have a colorblind person develop this UI? Just about everything is a shade of grey. Put some color back I to this PLEASE.
I believe the reason for the "lack of color" is to speed up the interface, less pixel to load onto the screen. The more color you add the more pixel the interface need to deal with and slow it down. Diana Collins could probably give a better answer. :)

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
I have plex shortcuts with rc8 and rc9.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk
Does your Plex shortcut show up on the first press of the TiVo button when watching full screen TV ? I have to go to apps then favorites and I get Plex.

·
Registered
935 Posts
TiVo Roamio is lagging with Hydra :worried:

I've found that turning off Background Images alleviates the lag.

0 Menu > Settings > User Preferences > My Shows Options > Background images: > Off

It's going to take some time to get used to using the Back button, which feels less intuitive after using the traditional TiVO UI for so long.

One thing I wish they'd do is show movie posters for the recorded movies section.
I've turned that off as well. It looked stupid imo with the rest of it all a dark grey. Why would you put a multi blue color image on tivo home screen?

·
I love my TiVo
736 Posts
So far I haven't had any real bugs so to speak. My issues are with the lag. The font they use also has severe aliasing (looks very jagged) on my Dell 2408 WPF, as well as underscan (tiny bit of the edges are cut off). I know it's not a TV, but still. Didn't used to have that issue on the old UI. There's also lag for the guide. It takes about 1.5 seconds to show the details after you highlight a program in the guide.

Overall, I'm not impressed. The text is low contrast (gray on gray), and the natural language VOX features are not quite as natural as I expect. For instance, I ask it "show me movies that I recorded" and it shows me movies in general.

Based on this experience, I personally wouldn't recommend participating in the early access of Hydra. Maybe others have had a better experience?
Got me at grey on grey, I'm very color blind, grey isn't going to work for me..

Reactions: Nickipedia

·
I love my TiVo
736 Posts
I believe the reason for the "lack of color" is to speed up the interface, less pixel to load onto the screen. The more color you add the more pixel the interface need to deal with and slow it down. Diana Collins could probably give a better answer. :)
If this color blind person set guide colors everything would be blue, black and white and red and or varying hues there of..
Grey on grey looks grey which ever color is darker is dominant with nothing else showing up, grey next to pink is grey, red next to green is green ZERO red showing up, yellow and blue, only blue shows up and yes, the sun looks rather white on a clear day...

Reactions: Nickipedia

·
Registered
776 Posts
I had a weird one last night. It was definitely Tuning Adapter related but the way the box handled it was whacky and very unusual.

So I had the usual black channels that appears occasionally and requires a TA reboot. After rebooting the TA, a channel that requires the TA, Tivo said didn't exist when trying to select it in the guide, yet manually entering the channel number brought up the picture just fine but with nothing in the info banner(even though the guide showed proper info). When I would goto another channel, the Tivo would always kick me to channel 2, which is my first channel in my list. A reboot of the Tivo didn't fix it but rebooting the TA a second time did.

Obviously this was a TA issue but I have never seen the Tivo react this way. It was definitely odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

741 - 760 of 1099 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.