TiVo Community Forum banner
721 - 740 of 1099 Posts

· TiVotarian
628 Posts
Yeah, cause people do that so often that a dedicated button makes sense. :rolleyes:

Other things to consider. Stop recording what? It doesn't really stop recording anyway, it just stops saving the recording and resets the live buffer for that tuner. Th only way to stop recording w/o shutting down is to put the TiVo in standby or tune to an "empty" channel.

Stop makes sense for a VCR, not for a DVR.
The question was " what exactly would the "Stop" button do? Stop what?"
The question was not would it make sense to have a dedicated button.

But since you are apparently asking that now....

Perhaps not for you, but I stop recordings and playback nearly every time I use a DVR. In the old HDUI system I would hit left near the end of a program to stop playback, and when recording right-select to stop recording (recording meaning saving the playing program to a file that is stored in My Shows). So in a way a Stop button makes more sense to me then context sensitive use of Left or Right.

That being said I was not arguing for or against one, only answering the simple question - what would stop do....

· Registered
664 Posts
I wasn't going to update but after my wife and daughter saw a demo, they wanted it. So I updated both my Roamio plus and Roamio basic(soon to be a Bolt).

I will say, I am pleasantly surprised at the overall functionality. I have found getting used to it, very easy. One of the things I love is the right arrow to pull up the listing of what's on the other tuners. I use this all the time and find it much more convenient than the old, two step method.

The channel banner being on the bottom will take a bit of getting used to though.

The one thing I HATE is the overall lack of COLOR. Did they have a colorblind person develop this UI? Just about everything is a shade of grey. Put some color back I to this PLEASE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
5 Posts
I don't like the removal of the old functions that Right and Left arrow used to perform. Those buttons are very easy to find without looking. The Back and Info buttons are small and easy to miss.

One simple change would be for Right Arrow to not only show what is on the other tuners, but to show what is on the current tuner.

And Left Arrow should resume its old function of Back.

I wasn't going to update but after my wife and daughter saw a demo, they wanted it. So I updated both my Roamio plus and Roamio basic(soon to be a Bolt).

I will say, I am pleasantly surprised at the overall functionality. I have found getting used to it, very easy. One of the things I love is the right arrow to pull up the listing of what's on the other tuners. I use this all the time and find it much more convenient than the old, two step method.

The channel banner being on the bottom will take a bit of getting used to though.

The one thing I HATE is the overall lack of COLOR. Did they have a colorblind person develop this UI? Just about everything is a shade of grey. Put some color back I to this PLEASE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
5 Posts
Why do you have it on overscan? It should be set to a normal picture. :confused:
If you adjust your TV to its correct scan area, the graphics of Hydra bump right against the edges of the screen, and the left side of the guide is even cut off. I adjusted my TV with its built in grid to be exactly on spec. There should be some margins. It doesn't look good the way it is.

· UHD Addict
23,291 Posts
I don't like the removal of the old functions that Right and Left arrow used to perform. Those buttons are very easy to find without looking. The Back and Info buttons are small and easy to miss.

One simple change would be for Right Arrow to not only show what is on the other tuners, but to show what is on the current tuner.

And Left Arrow should resume its old function of Back.
I don't even need to look for any of the buttons on the top two thirds of the Vox remote. And can use the Vox remotes quickly without looking at them for the buttons on the top two thirds.The bottom third of the remote though, I need to look at it to quickly push the right buttons.

As far as what is on the current tuner, the info button shows that. Which has always been the case.

Reactions: setx70

· Registered
2,697 Posts
Well, that's not my experience. On our Roamio Pros and first gen Minis the performance is very good. I also haven't seen any SD interface screens at all.
I found the following still in SD, at least on my Roamio OTA. YMMV

- Guided Setup
- Antenna signal test
- Antenna channel scan

I'd have to double-check that last one, but I think it was SD. Those are all I've found. Wasn't actually looking for any of them; used each when trying to resolve a channel issue. All are rarely used, so not a big deal.

· in the other Alabama
20,956 Posts
I found the following still in SD, at least on my Roamio OTA. YMMV
- Guided Setup
- Antenna signal test
- Antenna channel scan
I'd have to double-check that last one, but I think it was SD. Those are all I've found. Wasn't actually looking for any of them; used each when trying to resolve a channel issue. All are rarely used, so not a big deal.
If you had cable, all the cable card menus are SD. If you need to check the log files, those are SD also. Since Kickstart no longer works, I can't tell if those are still SD.

· Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
OOps. I meant KickStart codes. My bad. I changed my post. I shouldn't post after dark.

Miscellaneous Services from WeaKnees.com
Someone has to 'police' these 'Old Spammers' who spend their entire day posting misinformation. :eek: ;)

I watched / somehow followed around this other poster who was generating close to a new post every couple of minutes - sometimes 4 or 5 sequential snips in the same thread! o_O Mostly one sentence snipes and personal opinions - gets boring real quick when you're expecting to read something interesting.

Must have been shooting to earn a new TCF Trophy (1000 posts / 100 likes). :rolleyes:

· Registered
12,717 Posts
The question was " what exactly would the "Stop" button do? Stop what?"
The question was not would it make sense to have a dedicated button.

But since you are apparently asking that now....

Perhaps not for you, but I stop recordings and playback nearly every time I use a DVR. In the old HDUI system I would hit left near the end of a program to stop playback, and when recording right-select to stop recording (recording meaning saving the playing program to a file that is stored in My Shows). So in a way a Stop button makes more sense to me then context sensitive use of Left or Right.

That being said I was not arguing for or against one, only answering the simple question - what would stop do....
To stop a recording in Hydra,

Info
Right arrow
Click
Confirm.

I don't recall right/select stopping a recording in the old GUI.

· TiVotarian
628 Posts
To stop a recording in Hydra,
Info
Right arrow
Click
Confirm.
I don't recall right/select stopping a recording in the old GUI.
Not sure why this is important it all started with "what exactly would the "Stop" button do? Stop what?"

For Hydra the Remote buttons you press to stop a recording are
Info - Right - Select - Select

HDUI it similar Info or Right (a shortcut for Info)
This places you on the Rec button as a default landing
So now you press Select to get the recording menu where you have a choice to Continue or Press down to choose Stop Recording and then press select...

So to execute a stop recording
Info (or Right) - Select - Down - Select

I was going of memory and forgot the last down - select, but if it helps, this is the full process.

· Registered
827 Posts
Today both my Bolt Vox and Mini V2 upgraded to RC9. After years of Cutting Edge testing with DirecTV and a year with the HS17 and clients, I can't express how nice and simple it was to download and install the update. Both boxes were back to live TV in less then 5 minutes after "pending restart" with no issues.

DirecTV (aka AT&T) made our TV experience miserable the last few months, with firmware that locked up and ruined two clients and deleted recordings, while they were in a rush to get their new GUI rolled out. I then was expected to pay for the receivers they ruined and spent hours on the phone with them trying to resolve the issues they caused.

After 14 years with DirecTV, IMO, the AT&T purchase and culture ruined what was once a great service.

After a little less then a month with the Bolt Vox and Hydra I am very happy I made the switch. With Hydra being out less then a month it is very stable and a enjoyable TV experience for me and my wife! I ordered a second Mini (this time a Vox) yesterday. I am looking forward to receiving it soon and hopefully enjoying many years of trouble free TV.

· Registered
7,682 Posts
The you tube bug is not a hydra thing, it is on the old Gen3 platform as well.
Yeah but the series 3 was woefully underpowered for HD so I kinda expected that. But the Bolt has a quadcore ARM7 with three gigs of RAM so it should be a walk in the park to do YouTube, however it isn't.

I skipped series 4, did it ever work properly on that platform?
By Gen3, I'm pretty sure that he means the Gen3 UI (Roamio, Premiere, etc) and not the S3/HD hardware series.

Scott

· I love my TiVo
736 Posts
I didn't know where to post this and I'm not reading 38+ pages of stuff that may or may not answer my question. Please forgive if I am being redundant.
I got a few questions;

1) What is this Hydra UI I am reading about? I own a Bolt with a upgraded HDD, a Roamio Pro with a upgraded HDD and a Roamio Cable/OTA also with a upgraded HDD. All show 20.4.7.RC2, is that Hydra or am i missing something.

2) The Vox remote, does it need to be running Hydra to work? Does it work well? Also, i do not see a "Select" button in the pictures on the TiVo website, does that mean the "select codes" are things of the past ie. 30 skip, not this 30 second fast forward they come out doing now when new?

I guess technically that is five questions, sorry but any insight here would be appreciated.

721 - 740 of 1099 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.