TiVo Community Forum banner
681 - 700 of 1099 Posts

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,761 Posts
It works 100% fine for me, no problems at all. It was mostly people with minis with the problems and the ones that don't like some of the changes complaining. Just the like the internet, the people that do not like something are way more vocal than those happy. Most people that are happy probably do not even post much.
That's the thing: I don't want to have to endure communication glitches between my Roamio Pro and Mini due to Hydra. Not to mention the apps that are awaiting certification.

I was actually eager to upgrade on day one just for the newer UI experience (I guess that's the opposite attitude to those who don't like the changes), but since there are no functional improvements that I can't live without and Gen3/Encore is working for me just fine, I am happy to wait a while longer while the TiVo elves smooth out the edges on our shiny new toy.:)

·
Registered
868 Posts
24 days with a Bolt-Vox and Hydra after 14 Years with DirecTV and 10+ being a tester with them. Hydra takes some getting used to but the speed and efficiency blows away the new DirecTV interface. Also so far Hydra has not required me to reboot every day, lose recordings, or replace clients (at my cost) that firmware rendered useless. I think I am going to stay with it and watch it get better. I just ordered a mini!

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
For me the UI is simple a tool to allow me to get my TiVo to do what I want it to do. To that end I want the UI to be as simple/intuitive and efficient as possible.

This concept of talking about liking or not liking change when talking about comparing 2 UI options on a TiVo seems like complete foolishness to me. What should be talked about is does one UI get what you want to do done in a simpler/more intuitive and more efficient manor than the other.

Unfortunately because people are different (what one person fines to be simple or intuitive may seem complicated and not intuitive to another person) and because what people are trying to get done with their TiVo may also be significantly different, views on how well a UI works can very greatly.

Bugs are Bugs all UIs have them, we have to assume major ones will be fixed, so put them aside.

For those that have switch ask yourself: Is Hydra simpler/more intuitive and does it allow you to more efficiently get done what you want to do with your TiVo or Not?

For those that have not switch ask yourself: Have you read/seen anything that makes you think Hydra will be simpler/more intuitive for you and allow you to more efficiently get done what you want to get done with your TiVo?

If you answer the above questions honestly then you have your answer about Hydra.

Those that have switch to Hydra please keep posting your honest experiences positive or negative.

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
I'm not associated with TiVo in anyway, so this just my opinion based on 30 years in the software business.

Eventually everyone will be moved to Hydra. At some point it will be too onerous to maintain two operating systems. When that happens is unknown, but it likely won't be anytime soon. But I don't see them keeping both supported forever. In the near term Encore will be "stabilized" and no further development will be done on it (just bug fixes) and in a few years it will become unsupported.
IMHO TiVo did this new UI so that they could sell to MSOs and compete with the Comcast X1, for retail customers what difference does it make (to TiVo) between the old UI and this new UI. TiVos Series 2 still work and TiVos Series 3s still work with older UIs. I would agree that only bugs would be fixed on the old UI (if even that) and all new features will only go to the new UI, like voice remotes. If and when any new hardware comes out that will only work with the new UI (Hydra), no downgrade then will be possible.

·
TiVotarian
2,612 Posts
It is very different from the old UI, no doubt about that. But seriously...you judge a UI by how many clicks it takes? I could build a UI so that every possible function required only one click, but the menu would hundreds of items long. Is that preferable?
The HDUI didn't have a menu with hundreds of items, Hydra added a few unnecessary steps and many shortcuts that could still work simply don't. Hydra looks great, I want to use it, but it is frustrating at times.

And yes, for the basic tasks on a DVR that are repeated every day, for every show, I too judge by how many clicks it takes. I want to watch a show, not navigate through a menu, even if it is pretty.

To deal with some of the difficulties, I displaced another device from my limited HDMI inputs so I could have one HDMI for a Hydra TiVo and another for a HDUI TiVo.

When I have a task that is easier on the HDUI I switch to the HDMI input with the HDUI Romio and use it. Even when the task is on the Hydra Bolt, it is occasionally easier to do it through a remote device with HDUI vs directly on Hydra, this really shouldn't be the case.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
That's a valid opinion. But personally, the difference between two or even three twitches of a finger versus one seems like a silly criteria. The more important issue is once I have clicked the first time, is the second click obvious or not. My opinion is that in Hydra there is less "special knowledge" required.

Of course, some people may have used the old UI for so long that they no longer think about what they are doing and so get lost in the new UI. This will change in time. But the bottom line is that TiVo is trying to keep the retail market alive. Hydra is absolutely required if their MSO business is going to survive, and they need the retail market to use as a development test bed. We are the only users TiVo has direct access to, and we provide feedback that they can't get elsewhere. So Hydra is necessary to TiVo's survival.

I'll say it one more time...Hydra is not an "upgrade" it is a rewrite. Everything is different - from how it looks to how the menus are structured to how recordings are grouped and managed. Comparing the "clicks" and that you must do between the two products is like complaining that Office for Windows requires a different number of clicks to do something, or is in different menu, than in Office for Mac. These are different products.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Can you give some examples of things that take more clicks? I’m seeing very few instances of it. Most things take fewer clicks now. Netflix and other streaming only takes one click now. Used to take several. Perhaps you simply don’t know the new way of doing these tasks on Hydra.

·
TiVotarian
2,612 Posts
Can you give some examples of things that take more clicks? I'm seeing very few instances of it. Most things take fewer clicks now. Netflix and other streaming only takes one click now. Used to take several. Perhaps you simply don't know the new way of doing these tasks on Hydra.
Ok, here are a couple...

Watching multiple shows in a folder. After deleting a show with the pop up at the end of a program HDUI lands me back in the folder ready to watch the next show.
Hydra lands me back in My Shows and I have to navigate back to to the folder to find where I was, not only multiple clicks here, but actively searching for the program in the list. This is really annoying when watching on a remote device as I first have to navigate to the device then to the folder HDUI left me on the remote device and in the folder ready to just hit Play for the next program.

When in Suggestions Filter - which I use instead of Suggestions Folder since the Folder in My Shows doesn't properly list the show details - deletions by pressing clear of single programs which are shown as a group of 1 are either very slow with the pop up "Show has been deleted, placed in recently deleted" Or I get the delete everything in this group pop up asking me to confirm deleting everything in group (of 1 item). I haven't figured out why I get one or the other, understand it could be bug, buy either is much slower.
Often I delete 50-100 suggestions in a row so speed is of an essence. Now before you ask why am I deleting Suggestions - just know it is because I want to. But essentially I may have suggestions I MAY want to watch, not important enough to go through the process of changing them all to Keep until one at a time, and I don't want to clutter My Shows, but I want them to hang around a while longer so I delete other Suggestions to keep the ones I want hanging around a while longer. Perhaps if I only had Hydra I would have never gotten in this habit since in Hydra it is not quick and easy. Since it is SO easy on HDUI and only takes a min, I take advantage of using this process to control what is in my Suggestions folder.

Not clicks but another reason I go back to HDUI; My Shows no longer shows the Day/Date of last recording. In some cases this is helpful. For example I have a large number of NOVA, Frontline, etc. recordings saved. These don't come on every week and it is not as easy in Hydra to know if there is something new. In HDUI I can take one glance at My Shows to see which shows have been recently recorded by looking at the date listed in My Shows.

To be clear, yes I have been using TiVo since the first Blue Moon, have seen every incarnation of the interface and don't recall having a previous complaint or concern. I really like the look of Hydra and try to use it first. Yes I have some click habits, and I realize that some of what I got used to were shortcuts that were added over time as alternatives to the primary intended use. Some of the issues are around the fact that the HDUI could be worked almost exclusively with direction, select, and transport, With Hydra it seems I now need to use more of the extra tiny keys, but I think some of these shortcuts really should still work;
Left instead of back when/where left does nothing else anyway
Play on folder/etc. to select when/where it currently does nothing, especially when folder of one item it should start playback!
Maybe since Right as a shortcut for Info is gone, (shortcut meaning alternate access using directional keys instead of dedicated Info button, same single click) perhaps they could add Select while playing as alternate access to Info?

One issue that doesn't come up often that I welcome suggestions for alternate methods is an easier process to identify/select channels on Hydra. I will need to do this soon as I will be switching my Hydra Bolt from OTA to cable card soon and by default cable adds nearly all and I have a minimal package.
On the HDUI I could go to channels select some, hit live to check what works, then click Left to get right back to channel list. Made it pretty quick and easy to set up.
On Hydra it is a long process to get back to the channel list after checking channels.

What would be really cool is if Hydra added the option to display a channel preview to the Channel List page instead of displaying live TV on the channel it was left on.

I am sure the interface will evolve over time, just as HDUi did - Play on a folder was not there at first. But until it (and I) evolve, I find it easier or faster to do many things on HDUI.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I've had multiple issues on RC8 with the Amazon app.

On Roamio, I launched the app and received an "insufficient bandwidth" warning (fast.com reported 20mbps at the time). No button presses would allow me to exit the blank screen in the Amazon app. I even tried the old "backdoor" technique of initiating playback of a recording from the iPad app (this would help solve a hung TiVo in the gen3 UI). I had to pull the plug. After the reboot, I tried to play the same title. Same thing happened - I had to pull the plug.

On my Mini, about 24 hours later, I successfully initiated playback of another Amazon app program, but the grey spinning circle wouldn't go away. I couldn't use in-app trick play, go back to the app home screen, and the TiVo button on the remote wouldn't dump me back to TiVo Central. I had to pull the plug.

·
Registered
134 Posts
There does seem to be a few issues around My Shows/Episode Strip, perhaps it will be a while before we see improvements.
Agreed.
At first, I had this enabled, but found that with it on, it would show a description of the recording.
One issue I found is that this "Strip" view is very inconsistent, seems that it displays when it wants to.
This can be re-enabled by "OK" when it is not displayed.

A suggested improvement to this "view" would be to show the 0-4 star rating at the top of the description. I sometimes scroll through the Suggestions, looking for a movie to watch, and this rating would be a nice thing to show.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hydra is not an "upgrade" it is a rewrite
Hi Diana,

With all due respect, it doesn't feel like a rewrite. While performance is just barely acceptable on a new Bolt... apps, animations, screen changes, and even some control sequences are incredibly laggy (or simply unusable) on series 4 hardware. It really doesn't feel any different than back when they rolled out the Flash based HD UI on series 3 units (if anything, it feels worse). In fact, I still see a piece or two here and there of the "SD" interface from many years ago.

I would expect a rewrite in 2017 to offer significantly better performance than the fat, bloated pig that was Flash, but it doesn't feel that way at all. So while it is certainly a new interface, nothing here suggests to me this is a new code base, and if it is, they have failed miserably (performance is still abysmal).

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Well, that's not my experience. On our Roamio Pros and first gen Minis the performance is very good. I also haven't seen any SD interface screens at all.

Reactions: aaronwt

·
TiVotarian
2,612 Posts
Well, that's not my experience. On our Roamio Pros and first gen Minis the performance is very good. I also haven't seen any SD interface screens at all.
Some screens like are pretty plain and appear to be little more than a font and color port of the old screen, even losing some features. Search, a major TiVo feature, loses a lot of capabilities.

Xfinity VOD switches to old menu style, but that is an app.

·
UHD Addict
24,276 Posts
Yes. The same here. I've not run into lagginess on my Bolts, Romaio, or Minis. Performance with Hydra has been nice and quick.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
832 Posts
So you can play a YouTube video 25 minutes in length with no lockup? I can't even do that on the Bolt, let alone a Mini. My download is 90Mbs or better.

On an A93 Mini, just diving into a recorded folder shows 1-2 seconds of stutter.

Do you have background images turned on?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
That's a valid opinion. But personally, the difference between two or even three twitches of a finger versus one seems like a silly criteria. The more important issue is once I have clicked the first time, is the second click obvious or not. My opinion is that in Hydra there is less "special knowledge" required.
As a test engineer, I was taught that the number of clicks to perform common tasks is one of the best ways to rate a GUI. Use cases are created and the most common ones are ranked at the top. Bug reports are filed if a common task requires more clicks than other common tasks. Microsoft even created The Ribbon for Office because the #1 complaint was that many of its frequently used functions were buried within menus.

However, to your point, one of the other best ways to rate a GUI is how much special knowledge is needed to operate it. Using the left arrow as a back button has always been unacceptable -- the Tivo remote has lacked exit AND stop buttons and that has made it almost impossible to operate without special knowledge. And when has "zoom" ever meant "exit"? It usually means the exact opposite. Fortunately the new remote finally adds one of those buttons.

Usually (and unfortunately), the balance between these two conflicting requirements is met by creating shortcut keys for common tasks. For example, "clear" will (stop and) delete the highlighted recording quickly, Tivo-2 brings up the to do list, etc. These shortcuts are acceptable, not preferred, and are allowed because there's only so many buttons you can put on a remote and only so much space on a screen.

I do not know if these shortcut keys don't exist yet in Hydra, or if they simply haven't been discovered yet. There are also many screens in Hydra which are simply horrid, and those combined with all the bugs negate all the advances in usability. While these issues can be addressed in the future, they shouldn't have released it as it is today. I'm not surprised that they released it anyway (especially because it's the holiday season). I have a Dilbert cartoon of this, after all.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
So you can play a YouTube video 25 minutes in length with no lockup? I can't even do that on the Bolt, let alone a Mini. My download is 90Mbs or better.

On an A93 Mini, just diving into a recorded folder shows 1-2 seconds of stutter.

Do you have background images turned on?
Personally, we don't use YouTube much, but watched OverTime (Bill Maher's post show) without a problem. The other apps are all working fine. All my minis are A92s and I'm not seeing stutter at all.

Note: I am running a pre-release version of the software (RC9) which fixed a number of R7 and R8 bugs. But performance of Hydra in terms of responsiveness has always been good.

681 - 700 of 1099 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.