TiVo Community Forum banner
281 - 300 of 1099 Posts

·
UHD Addict
24,271 Posts
So how do the people with first gen Mini (IR Remote only) get around the fact their remote does not have a Back button?

Do they have to get a new remote? If they do, will it work with that version of Mini, which does not do RF?
I use an RF dongle so I can use the newer TiVo remotes with my Gen 1 Mini. Although I guess it won;t work with the Vox remote since they went back to using Bluetooth.

·
UHD Addict
24,271 Posts
I prefer the TiVo to output in Native Resolution, but it seems like this is broke in Hydra. Anyone know of any fixes or workarounds?
I can get my Bolts to output in native at 1080i or 720P but only if those resolutions are checked. As son as you check 1080P24/30 or 2160P24/30, it goes by the framerate,(which it mentions something about on the output page) So then 720P60 gets scaled to 1080P60 and then 1080i gets output as 2160P30 or 1080P30 depending on what you have set. So between that and the three times longer it takes to re-sync resolution and framerate changes in my setups(up to six second now), I am setting my boxes for just 1080P60 output or 2160P60 output.

Reactions: y2jdmbfan

·
Registered
59 Posts
I can get my Bolts to output in native at 1080i or 720P but only if those resolutions are checked. As son as you check 1080P24/30 or 2160P24/30, it goes by the framerate,(which it mentions something about on the output page) So then 720P60 gets scaled to 1080P60 and then 1080i gets output as 2160P30 or 1080P30 depending on what you have set. So between that and the three times longer it takes to re-sync resolution and framerate changes in my setups(up to six second now), I am setting my boxes for just 1080P60 output or 2160P60 output.
Seeing similar here, something with the resolution selection is messed up when you have 1080P / 60Hz selected along with other resolutions, 1080i, 720P, etc. It will always output 1080P even if it is not the native channel resolution. This is with "Auto" 1080P mode turned off. Happens on the Roamio Pro, Bolt, and Mini's. The Bolt becomes the real issue, because you can't leave 4K selected as an option if you want Native 1080i or 720P coming out of the box.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Just a general question....if I go to

What to Watch > Sports

Why do the World Series and Sunday Night Football NOT show up as choices at this moment, as they are Prime Time headline events happening right now? Instead it immediately shows me a sporting event happening three days from now, then an NBA game for tomorrow?
The engineers don't like those sports

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I am using the remotes that came with my old premieres and the zoom button works as the back button. I let everybody use the old remotes as I don't care if they get dropped or damaged.
Just an update, the older remotes that came with the Premieres the zoom button is only a back button and not an exit button. With the old remotes you will have to use the Live TV button or set a numbered button for Live TV.
I pulled out the RF remote that came with the Roamios and these remotes have a back button on the left side and a zoom button on the right side. The zoom button functions as the exit button.
Also if you select the guide and exit and then select TiVo Central and exit, hitting the back button will take you back to TiVo Central and pressing it again will take you back to the guide. Hydra seems to work like a browser as you can go back pages when clicking on the back arrow button.

Reactions: tim1724

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I don't have a bolt or a UHD TV but I have my Roamio hooked by HDMI, through a Onkyo receiver, to a Pioneer Kuro and I have the multiple resolutions checked except for 1080p60. If you check that resolution then it will ignore all the other resolution settings and only output 1080p60. I can get the box to output 720p, 1080i, and 1080p24, but not 480p 0r 480i. On the SD channels it will output whatever HD resolution you were on before tuning to a SD channel.
The syncing time is pretty quick, about 2 to 4 seconds, and that is going through a receiver that is set to pass through. My other Roamio is hooked directly by HDMI to my other Kuro and the syncing time is the same so the receiver is not the issue.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Voice Control -- Commands work pretty well (like channel changes and "go to this screen"), but certain types of searches don't seem to work half the time.

I search for "Harry Potter" and "The Fast and Furious" and it tells me it didn't get anything for me. When I tried an hour later, they pulled up their entire franchises, which is neat.

It's a little amusing testing things out.

HBO
CBS
My Shows
Settings
Jim Parsons
Sheldon Cooper (a character name)
Tom Hanks movies
What games are playing this weekend?
What movies are on tonight?
Cartoons with Seth McFarland
Comedy movies from the 80s

You can also stack them to narrow the results down. Comedy movies from the 80s. -- The ones with John Candy.

Searching for a program you've already recorded takes you to its.... program information screen? I don't really know what to call this (kinda ugly and upside down) menu.

So it's kind of neat when it works, it's just really inconsistent.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Upgraded my Roamio Pro after seeing the generally positive comments here. Interface seems a little snappier and looks better. I like the combination of "What to Watch Now" and "Browse" under "What to Watch." Lack of a Live Guide is making it a bit more difficult to see upcoming movies this week on the same channel, though some of those are featured under "What to Watch."

Also, I may be missing something, but I don't see how to add the "Back" button to my Harmony Elite. Have switched to using my TiVo Slide remote once I've used the Harmony to start watching TV.

Am still learning how to do some things most efficiently, but experience has been positive on balance so far.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Upgraded my Roamio Pro after seeing the generally positive comments here. Interface seems a little snappier and looks better. I like the combination of "What to Watch Now" and "Browse" under "What to Watch." Lack of a Live Guide is making it a bit more difficult to see upcoming movies this week on the same channel, though some of those are featured under "What to Watch."

Also, I may be missing something, but I don't see how to add the "Back" button to my Harmony Elite. Have switched to using my TiVo Slide remote once I've used the Harmony to start watching TV.

Am still learning how to do some things most efficiently, but experience has been positive on balance so far.
Not sure which Harmony you have, but mine maps the Stop button as back when you setup the activity.

·
UHD Addict
24,271 Posts
I don't have a bolt or a UHD TV but I have my Roamio hooked by HDMI, through a Onkyo receiver, to a Pioneer Kuro and I have the multiple resolutions checked except for 1080p60. If you check that resolution then it will ignore all the other resolution settings and only output 1080p60. I can get the box to output 720p, 1080i, and 1080p24, but not 480p 0r 480i. On the SD channels it will output whatever HD resolution you were on before tuning to a SD channel.
The syncing time is pretty quick, about 2 to 4 seconds, and that is going through a receiver that is set to pass through. My other Roamio is hooked directly by HDMI to my other Kuro and the syncing time is the same so the receiver is not the issue.
Four second syncing is very slow to me. I've seen as long as six seconds since upgrading to Hydra. Prior to hydra, it was always under two seconds in my setups. For me, I have too many resyncs since I watch a large mix of 1080i and 720P content from Broadcasts. So at least by me selecting only 1080P60 or 216P60 for output, it only takes a split second between content with different resolutions/frame rates, instead of many seconds.

·
Registered
134 Posts

I also have a Harmony Elite, and thinking I will remap the [left-arrow] to [tivo-back], and [long-press left-arrow] to [tivo-left]. This will let me continue to use left arrow as back, but still have the left for "favorites". will now be able to map [Harmony Exit] to [Tivo-Exit] instead of Live-TV, which give different results based on what's on screen.
Of course, this is when these commands are made available through Harmony.

·
TDL shepherd
17,526 Posts
I haven't yet begun poring through this thread, but wanted to post this finding before taking the dog for a walk...
- - -

FYI... Whether intentional or not, and for better or worse, you can now customize your 'Favorites' channel list from a Mini, with immediate effect on the host DVR (and, I suspect, other connected Minis).

To do so:
  • highlight a station within the station ID column in the Grid Guide, and then ...
  • use the Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down buttons on the remote to add or remove the channel from your 'Favorites' channel list.
The Grid Guide will (imo) unnecessarily flash and reset the listing with the focused channel now at the top of the listing, but you should see a "Thumbs Up" icon either added or removed from the channel's description in the top panel of the display. The Thumbs Up icon indicates the channel is included in the Favorites list.

I haven't yet found whether you can similarly edit the 'Channel List' (fka 'My Channels') channel list.

281 - 300 of 1099 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.