TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Everything is working, though I have a simple setup. No audio system, etc. It's much more modern and I love the high-res artwork assets and text.

The one thing I was starting to dislike about the old HDUI (Encore) was how monochromatic, boring, and stagnant it was. In Hydra the use of high-res poster art and episode art adds a lot of flare and color and liveliness throughout the UI.

Bigger TV preview window is nice (can be turned off.)

Generally it takes more keypresses to get to things. That's not really endearing.

UI is slower than gen3, but it's still pretty good on Bolt. (I didn't try on Roamios or Minis)

Home screen customizations you can choose from: To Do List, OnePass Manager, Settings, Live TV, Guide, Wishlists, all of the major apps

kmttg seems to work but I haven't done an in-depth check.

Overall, it's not bad but there is a lot of fine tuning still necessary.

Issues:
- As reported, No Live Guide
- As reported, pytivo transfers to Hydra don't work (neither push or pull)
- DVR transfers TO Hydra are missing. This can only be done using Tivo Online.
- Prediction bar isn't predicting any movies. Only shows. :unamused:

Thoughts/Points/Nitpicks:

What to Watch is highly upgraded. A lot more categories. Much easier to navigate than that old, awkward grid. It even has a category just for movies appearing on your premium channels. Sweet!

The Prediction bar should include movies and VOD. I seldomly ever watch live TV, so that's all wasted space to me. Maybe it'll learn this over time, or not.

The Left button doesn't work for any "back" navigation anymore. You HAVE to use the Back button, which is not as easy to find.

My Shows episode strips aren't usable, particularly if you have a lot of episodes. There's no season selection. Keep the defaults -- Episode strip: No. Go to episode list: Yes.

My Shows categories -- I love that the categories are now along the top instead of a left-hand column. But why are Paused programs being forced as a category? Really not necessary.

The Program Information menu is.... messy (I don't know what else to call this show menu). All of these strips open up whether I want to see them or not... What's the difference between Watchlists and Recordings? This is weird and unfriendly.

When I go into a show's OnePass menu, the menus are backwards. It's listed as Cast, May Also Like, All Episodes, Upcoming, OnePass Options. I would expect them to be in the exact opposite order with OnePass Options being the default on top. Very odd.

Overall, not bad. It's visually exciting, but usability is not optimal as of yet. It needs a lot of tweaking. Good for version 1.0.

Ted, Tivo has turned away from community developers. Please start a dialog between Tivo and the makers of pytivo and other apps so that they can bring push/pull PC transfers back, and hopefully other new features as well.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I agree.

Yeah, I had to program the "Back" button into my Harmony (taking up the last unassigned button; hope I don't need to add anything else!), and now I have to untrain years of pressing left-arrow to return to the Now Playing list from a recording.

But overall, I'm getting used to it surprisingly (for me) fast.
The Back button thing might drive me a little nuts. 14 years of muscle memory. Overall, it's "new but familiar." Some of the menus are designed poorly but if you know Tivo well, you can figure it out.

I don't know how complete newbies are going to take it, though.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Thanks for that quick, down-and-dirty evaluation.

Since you have already verified kmttg operability, could you please go back and check on the backdoor code functions? This is a high-priority item for some of us. Thanks again.
Most of these don't seem to be working, but 30 second skip is now the button default and doesn't need the code. Someone else is reporting that clock works but it doesn't stick.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Another behavior change is that every show in My Shows is treated as a folder. So if you select a single recording, it opens into a folder with only 1 item in it rather than going directly to the Play screen. Extra unnecessary click.

Then after you watch and delete the episode it goes to an empty folder rather than back to My Shows.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Voice Control -- Commands work pretty well (like channel changes and "go to this screen"), but certain types of searches don't seem to work half the time.

I search for "Harry Potter" and "The Fast and Furious" and it tells me it didn't get anything for me. When I tried an hour later, they pulled up their entire franchises, which is neat.

It's a little amusing testing things out.

HBO
CBS
My Shows
Settings
Jim Parsons
Sheldon Cooper (a character name)
Tom Hanks movies
What games are playing this weekend?
What movies are on tonight?
Cartoons with Seth McFarland
Comedy movies from the 80s

You can also stack them to narrow the results down. Comedy movies from the 80s. -- The ones with John Candy.

Searching for a program you've already recorded takes you to its.... program information screen? I don't really know what to call this (kinda ugly and upside down) menu.

So it's kind of neat when it works, it's just really inconsistent.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
1) When viewing a show and fast forwarding - you see the progress bar at the bottom. On the current software, you can press Clear to well.....clear the bar. Can you do this in Hydra? Is there any button that will clear the bar? If not, I'm guessing it goes away on it's own?

2) Is it possible to transfer to/from Roamio current UI to/from Roamio Hydra? I'm looking for info on both transfers and just viewing from the other box.
Clear works as it did before.
Transfers FROM Hydra work. Transfers TO Hydra need Tivo Online. PC-to-Tivo doesn't work (currently?).

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Thanks! If you have two Hydra boxes, do you need to do everything from Tivo Online?

And what about just watching (streaming) a show from another box. Hydra streaming from old, old streaming from Hydra, Hydra streaming from Hydra?
Streaming (both ways) seems to work normally.

If you have 2 Hydras, yeah you probably need to manage all transfers online.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I'm not going to kick and scream over the Left/Back button issue too much. I'm over the muscle memory.

My problem isn't about not using Left, but actually a separate one -- the Back button is hard to find. Being directly left of the Left button and having a slight indentation on the Vox remotes is not sufficient.

The way I'm doing it, first I have to go to the Left pad, then move left to find it. If I do it any other way I end up fat fingering it on Input and Volume.

The Back button should be larger. For serving such a newly important function, it should have at least equal weight to Ok/Select and possibly even the voice button; not be among the smallest buttons on the remote.

There's nothing that can be done for existing remotes, but I would have expected the Vox remotes to have respected this new role and done this better.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Overall I enjoy Tivo less because of Hydra. I won't list all the awkward things about it, it's just an overall negative drain. The worst part is that everything wrong with Hydra Tivo knew about for a year. They couldn't be bothered.

Hydra is what happens when you marry yourself to a concept before any user testing. If they care at all, at their classically slow pace it'll still take at least another year to get it where it should be.

Tivo's destroyed the the myth that they tirelessly user test their UI. They got lucky once and then clung to it and coasted for 18 years.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
They've released a few bug fixes but no substantive usability improvements yet. There is supposed to be another update at the end of the month but that's not shaping up to be a big leap either, and the missing features will remain MIA for the foreseeable.

Speed isn't a huge problem. It's not as fast as gen3, but it's not slow per se.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.