TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Put my Roamio OTA and Mini on the update list, then went to a late lunch, and came back to find both units with pending restarts.

Did the Roamio first. I switched inputs on my TV to watch something else while I waited. As others have reported, took 10 minutes tops. No hitches.

On the Mini, as others have reported, the screen goes blank. DISCONNECT THE NETWORK TO STOP THIS. In my case, this meant unplugging the Ethernet cable. Then easily navigated to Network settings and started the pending update. Plugged the network cable back in while it powered down. Upgrade went without a hitch.

Will definitely take a bit to adjust to the new UI.

That's all I have for now.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Looks like Clear and Delete Everything is non functional in Hydra, if you click it it just hangs and does not prompt you to acknowledge, etc. Same with Clear Guide Data/To Do List and Clear Thumbs/Suggestions. I also posted this in another thread but copying here for reference.
Same result on my Roamio OTA, just get a blue circle of death (as my wife calls it).

Also, a couple of my channels have gotten jacked up. One, I really don't care about, the other is the CW affiliate, and I record several shows on that one, so am a bit annoyed with that at the moment.

Hoped running Guide Setup would resolve that issue, but that just results in a blue circle.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
One thing I'm still trying to get my head around. For shows with multiple recordings. After I watch one and delete upon finishing. It still shows as a recording in my list of shows. If I select it, it gives me the option to undelete it. It just doesn't seem very intuitive because hard to figure out which is the next unwatched episode.
I noticed tonight, when I reached the end of a recording, and returned to the folder, the just completed episode did not have a progress bar. After backing out of the folder and returning, the episode had a progress bar. You would probably have a similar experience with the deleted episode. I would call this behavior a bug. Hopefully it will be corrected soon.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Have noticed something flaky on the Mini. When it comes out of hibernation, hitting Live TV on the remote sometimes brings up an error message saying that it is unable to receive any TV channels. It sees the Roamio OTA server, and can play recorded shows. Channels can be tuned from the Guide, however "title unavailable" is displayed in the Info bar. Returning to TiVo Central and pressing Live TV brings up the error message once again.

Restarting the Mini resolves the issue temporarily. Haven't been able to determine if it's going into Standby or something else that makes it return again.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Looking at the Recording Activity log, I noticed quite a few strange entries for shows that weren't recorded because they weren't new. The strange part being that there are no 1P's for any of them. TiVo Suggestions is off. Checking the Guide, the shows had a Thumbs Up, which no one recalls giving. Nothing unusual in the To Do List.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Well said.

Sometimes I scratch my head over the widespread tendency in recent years to re-skin products and OS's with UIs reminiscent of the Fisher-Price look.
I don't see where there's anything "Fischer Price" about new TiVo UI. It looks and feels very modern and intuitive to me. It only took a few minutes to learn, which I think is testament to how well it's laid out. And this is from a 50 year old, who's usual first reaction to change is to grumble and moan and call it stupid.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Well, I'm younger than you and rarely grumble about anything. But in this case they removed functionality and rearranged the eye candy (or layout, as you indicate).
I would assume the missing functionality is the live guide? I was never a fan of it, so I didn't use it, but the up arrow serves a similar purpose, albeit in a different format. Although I can see where that would be less than ideal for someone who liked the live guide. Perhaps it will make a comeback, with so many unhappy with it's disappearance. Is there something else missing that I haven't noticed?

Fisher Price was Windows XP not Hydra at all.
XP was more Teletubbies.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
The new UI seems harder to read. Little things are bothering me. When you go into "My Shows" and select a show's folder to get the list of edisodes for that show. How do you back up the "My Shows" list again. I'm having to hit the Tivo button and start over. I tried the "back button" but it does nothing. Tivo use to be very user friendly. Anyone could easily navigate the menus.
You hit the actual Back button, not the left arrow, and it didn't back up a level? Do you maybe have an older remote? Something is definitely not right if Back isn't working.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I got an update last night to RC8, not sure what was fixed or changed yet.
Same here. Got the update to RC8 a couple days ago, on both my Roamio OTA and Mini. Have seen several references to RC9, so I guess we'll be seeing that on a few days. Haven't really had time to explore and see if any of the bugs from the first release are gone.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
And it now takes three clicks where in the past it only took one. Black screen small type definitely harder to read from across the room. The design team for Hydra should be fired. I've been using it for a few weeks now totally hassled and annoyed with clicks and bugs. I give it a D-, think it's terrible. Give me the old interface with voice and all good. I predict Tivo is going to do a meaculpa in the next couple months and do some major backtracking.
You don't say 3 clicks for what, so no idea what you're referring to, but my everyday tasks seem just as easily accessible as before.

My Shows with old UI was 2 clicks (TiVo/TiVo or TiVo/Select). To reach my shows with new UI is 2 clicks (TiVo/TiVo or TiVo/1). Or just push Down for fast access to a strip view along the bottom of your screen.

The Guide is a single button click with both UI's.

Tuner list is a single click (right arrow) with Hydra, whereas it was 3 clicks before (Info/Down/Right).

I agree that it felt a bit awkward at first, because it was so different, but the feeling didn't last. The bugs are being addressed, with updates already being pushed. Received RC8 a few days ago, with RC9 coming any day now.

Sorry you're so put out with it, but I do not see Hydra as a failure, at all. I'd give it an easy A.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Really, I have to show you? You must not use Hydra much. How about deleting a show that's now in a folder or just selecting a recording. Duh... Bottom line.... it's terrible. Just look at the now thousands of complaints! Did Tivo have anywhere near this number of complaints last time they upgraded the user interface? Tivo wake up this is a donnybrook event!
Hydra is by no means perfect, but it certainly isn't terrible. If only there had been some way of knowing what you were getting into ahead of time. Oh wait, there was. Duh.

What kind of reply is that? It's not hate or vitriol it's calling Tivo out on the horrible upgrade they are forcing on their customers. Wake up Tivo before sales plummet and long time faithful cust9mers start to defect. Wake up!
No one has been forced to upgrade. You CHOSE to upgrade. You were informed you would lose your recordings if you downgraded, but you chose to upgrade anyway. There was plenty of information floating around these forums, and elsewhere, as to the look and feel of the new UI, so you didn't go in blind. Now you feel stuck and blame TiVo, for choices that you yourself made.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
As I think about this more your statement that somehow TiVo's crappy upgrade is my fault because I chose to upgrade is ridiculous. Yup let's blame the bad experience on the customer instead of acknowledging that Tivo really screwed it up and is committed to recognizing everyone's concerns and fixing things as quickly as possible. Yup that's the new way the world works.... nothing is the fault of the producer it's the complainer's fault.
You said Hydra was being forced on people. It wasn't. That was my point. And I still don't agree that it was a crappy upgrade. I can still watch TV and make recordings. Those two things were why I bought my Roamio OTA, when I cut the cord. Everything else is gravy. I think TiVo did a good job with the new UI, and hope they continue to improve it.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Well, that's not my experience. On our Roamio Pros and first gen Minis the performance is very good. I also haven't seen any SD interface screens at all.
I found the following still in SD, at least on my Roamio OTA. YMMV

- Guided Setup
- Antenna signal test
- Antenna channel scan

I'd have to double-check that last one, but I think it was SD. Those are all I've found. Wasn't actually looking for any of them; used each when trying to resolve a channel issue. All are rarely used, so not a big deal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.