TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Mount Airy, MD
728 Posts
My Roamio upgrade went fine. Signed up at 9 am, connected to TiVo HQ about 9:30 am, spent maybe 10 minutes downloading, then reboot. The actual install only took 6 or 7 minutes.

One of my Mini's isn't doing so well...I've connected to TiVo HQ, it seemed to download something...I've restarted. It seemed to install something (clue was a new looking screen). Now after rebooting it gets stuck in a loop...black screen...old UI screen. I've connected to TiVo HQ again, I've restarted it 3 times...nothing. BTW, this is a Gen 1 Mini.

I'll keep checking back here for hints and ideas. Right now the Mini has been unplugged for about 20 minutes...I'm going to plug it in again and cross my fingers...

· Mount Airy, MD
728 Posts
Took my mini a while to pick it up also. I rebooted it once after my Roamio got the install and it didn't upgrade. Played around on the Roamio for about an hour and then went back to the Mini and rebooted it again and it started the upgrade.
My Mini still isn't getting the update. Stuck in a black screen - old menu screen loop.

It was just off about 30 minutes. I'll leave it off awhile and check again.

Is everyone with Gen 1 Mini's having this problem?

· Mount Airy, MD
728 Posts
Unplug your main box from the network after updating or your minis will take finagling to get updated. Once the minis download the update and restart you can plug your main box back into the network.

This will fox the black screen loop issue.
You were right. Here's what I did, maybe it'll help others with Mini problems:

1) pull the Mini's power
2) pull the Mini's ethernet connection
3) wait a bit...just a minute or three
4) apply the Mini's power
5) after it restarts you'll get TiVo Central with a "no network" error message
6) plug in your ethernet connection
7) wait 15 to 30 seconds for the "no network" error to go way
8) go to Live TV

UPDATE: Live TV only played for a brief period. Now it's back in the loop. Ugh.

· Mount Airy, MD
728 Posts
You dont have to do anything to your mini. Unplug your MAIN BOX from the network. Then you should be able to navigate the minis menu and have it update.
That worked, thanks!

To summarize for others...and this was on a Gen 1 Mini:

1) unplug Roamio (or Bolt) from the network (note: the Roamio/Bolt already has Hydra)
2) force a network connection on the Mini
3) press select to start the update
4) once the Mini is running Hydra...reconnect the Roamio to the network.

I'd say this process took 25 to 30 minutes, total. It's a bit unnerving in that when rebooting the Mini, after the Hydra upgrade, the screen goes black for just long enough to convince you that something is wrong...but then everything comes up and starts working.

And, of course...you've already signed up ALL your devices for the upgrade on the TiVo upgrade page.

· Mount Airy, MD
728 Posts
For me it's both gen 1 and 2 mini's that get the check your cable card message that a re-boot fixes. But it is getting tiring.
Try the kickstart code:

thumbs down
thumbs up
play
play

...when you get the V66 (cable card) error on your Mini.

A fellow user suggested it to me earlier today. I haven't needed it yet...but I'll try it next time I get a V66 error.

· Mount Airy, MD
728 Posts
... has become a much bigger issue now that the Olympics have started: not being able to hit enter to go to back to the last channel. NBC is showing the Olympics on multiple channels, I would like to be able to switch back and forth without entering the channel number each time or hunting through the guide.
As the OP noted...set up your tuners and then switch from tuner to tuner as desired. One advantage to using this method is that each channel will have a 30 minute buffer in case you want to rewind a bit.

I use tuner switching every day...especially during the 5 pm to 7 pm newscasts. I'll put CNN, MSNBC, NBC, ABC and CBS each on their own tuner...then switch around getting a flavor of what they're covering and how they're portraying the day's news.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.