TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 19 of 31 Posts

·
I Am Sometimes Vocal
980 Posts

·
I Am Sometimes Vocal
980 Posts
Isn't it an RC? On their own site it says it's an RC2 which implies it's a beta no? I work in this field and just was curious.
All their updates are Release Candidates. They may bump the RC up on the next update or change it to 21.7.x. I am sure there will be one soon. They will be updating several times in the next few months, I think...and that really is a real good thing. :D

On another note, I wish they would at least put SkipMode in 20.7.x for Series4...

·
I Am Sometimes Vocal
980 Posts
Mine works fine with Hydra, I stream out of the house on a constant basis and I have no issue with it at all. If anything it seems to be running better, but that may be down to wishful thinking more then anything.

Hail Hydra

Jack
Sometimes for me on my android when Out of network on 4G, it buffers bad. Never can tell if it is their servers or the coverage. Works fine at home In network on wifi. I was at a friends yesterday with Comcast too and I forgot to do the test there on wifi. Some people have been having problems the last few days.

So Jack, you seem to like to talk. Can you answer some questions for me?

So the only way you can see what is on all the tuners is to see "too big" tiles on the right or do they have the old option (HA) too, to see them in a list?

Does SkipMode and QuickMode work correctly?

I like the option to map functions to the numbers on the remote. Do they have all the needed functions to equate them to and do they use 1-9 or just 1-6 like Gen3 only allows? I am very curious about this and if it works well enough. It does not say what numbers are available to use in their "guide" (of course).

Like that I hear that the video window is a bit bigger and of course no more audio dropout when getting in and out of Live tv. Maybe they will put in the nice screensaver they have in the X1 and tiles with the last x number of things that have been watched. I really have wanted that forever.

IDK, I can't/won't go without the Live Guide, but I also want the voice remote. I am going to order one soon in anticipation.

Hope you reply, THANKS

·
I Am Sometimes Vocal
980 Posts
Everything being a folder is a regression. Before I could just navigate to an ungrouped title and click play to start play, or clear to delete. Now there are extra presses to do the same even with the Hydrated vertical list.
That's so dumb! What is in their heads? But it does show the recording count and then you would be able to hit Play and it would start at the last (and only one), right? I would love to see and play with it, but not without keeping my recordings on downgrade...

Reactions: Bville01

·
I Am Sometimes Vocal
980 Posts
No, you can no longer play a folder's contents...you have to go into the folder and select an episode.
Even dumber still. So that is gone, Play All is gone, Live Guide and on and on and on. It's now really just a glorified X1 that buffers all the tuners and has six of them (Pro/+ versions)...

Of course I basically use my tivo AS A DVR, like it was intended to be!

Reactions: stile99

·
I Am Sometimes Vocal
980 Posts
Is there a better example of how to see many shows on many channels over a period of time in a single view?
Yes, it is called KNOWING WHAT YOU GENERALLY WATCH!!! :D:cool::D

150+ 1P's here...I know what I want to watch...

Maybe some of us will have a nice EASTER present...:rolleyes::D

·
I Am Sometimes Vocal
980 Posts
Full Stop. There is nothing "stupid" about a grid guide. It provides information in an efficient and useable format. And it is certainly more useful that a bunch of big blobby tiles or pictographs.
Whoever said anything about wanting Tiles? I never said that. Also it seems to me that from what I read, that you have not upgraded.

And I wish people would stop using the phrase "full stop", considering where it comes from.

·
I Am Sometimes Vocal
980 Posts
Stop. Just stop. Use it your way. We will use it our way. Some of us actually are open to new things and not closed minded about "what we want to watch." Or use guides to see what we want to watch in the future.
You usually have informative and interesting posts. Someone has a bee in his bonnet.

·
I Am Sometimes Vocal
980 Posts
Folder Question:

I have a question about the folders in Gen4. I am asking regarding a bug caused by Crappy Guide Titles. So I watch Cspan WJ a lot and sometimes some shows do not go into the folder. EDIT: On the 2nd line of the title in the Info there are sometimes things in quotation marks, making it not go into the folder. It should be ignored for folder placement. Now KMTTG is Smart enough to know that the top title controls what folder it should be placed it in and it puts the second line with the quotes after the title in the correct folder in that entry. I am not sure if this started happening before 20.7.2/4 or not (with the 2nd line I mean). Does anyone know if this same situation happens in Gen4? I do not understand why Everything is folders in Gen4, but I guess if the count is still there, whatever (an extra useless click).

Thanks.

UPDATE: This is a very hard thing to test. You actually can't, it just has to happen. I am going to assume it is the same in both. I wish they would fix it.

Maybe Ted will see this and find out why it cannot work correctly in the Tivo software and it does with KMTTG (I know why. Because @moyekj is smart and catches picayune things like that. A REAL DEV).

·
I Am Sometimes Vocal
980 Posts
I was attempting to downgrade at 11 pm and it would not let me. Instead a message displayed saying an upgrade was scheduled for 2:30 am and to try later.
It probably would have been easier to reboot it and then it would upgrade and then downgrade it. How come you want to downgrade (and no, I WON'T upgrade...LOL...just curious)?

It has been said all along that you lose everything going back. I do not have a spare $1000 tivo to test with...:rolleyes::D

·
I Am Sometimes Vocal
980 Posts
Couple of things related to My Shows:

- Please change it so that single shows aren't in folders.
I have not seen Ted commenting on any "design flaws" they may have created...I wonder if anyone has seen any Functionality changes from RC7 to RC9? It would be a miracle if someone said there was.

·
I Am Sometimes Vocal
980 Posts
Busy screen, distracting images, streaming oriented, too many bells and whistles for my taste. I like a plain text menu to record, play and delete my OTA broadcasts. Simple is good.
Thanks for the reply. I quite agree. I still do not understand OTA. I would never be able to live without cable. Where would you get CNN, MSNBC, CSPAN and so many other things? I an old dog. Anyway, I got no choice, I live in a condo where I "pay" in my maintenance for Basic and HBO and my Comcast bill is only $52 a month with Blast Internet and Digital Preferred on Promo (usually get it every year). I have my own modem forever and get my phone service from PhonePower.com (a great phone service for about $150 a year).

I think it will be a long time before Gen4 is up to snuff (for picky me)...if ever.

·
I Am Sometimes Vocal
980 Posts
I was stupid enough to think that when Tivo released a new UI it would work and not be buggy. And now I don't have the time try and transfer downgrade and retransfer. Instead now I will forcefully call out Tivo on how they realeased a new UI that was not ready. Hopefully in the next couple months they will been able to fix the dozens and dozens of problems the new UI has.
Well T-Day is all over. Now Dean, if you have been with Tivo for so long, you really should have known better than to trust them with a totally new UI. For those like me, who only have one upgradeable host (can't count the XL4, which is not, unfortunately...I really would love SM on it), without a way to go back and keep your recordings, the smart thing to do was to wait (maybe forever...LOL). I love it when people just say to backup/restore, but you can't do that for copyrighted recordings (stupid a$$ Tivo should have always allowed copyrighted shows to transfer between your own tivos since they have the same media key) and then what do you do when you have 90+% used on a 3TB drive?

The Tivo, Inc lovers in here think Tivo can do no wrong as far as software is concerned. Far be it from the truth. I have only been with Tivo since 05/2012. People may forget about all the software bugs in the past that we had to wait sometimes months to be fixed waiting for an update (the latest being waiting for almost 2 months to get QM fixed (deaf, dumb and blind testers)). A whole year of C133 errors. The Rovi conversion. Server problems that affect Local functions and the "wonderful" server(s) that control streaming to devices and other things. And then there are the "design bugs", of which Gen4 seems to be full of. But Tivo, Inc does not think these are design flaws. I have been thru it all with them at almost the top levels in the past. Remember the good ole days when you could get to L2 support fairly easily? Some of them actually had contact with L3, where the design and coding is done. Those days are long gone (except maybe for Ted, although he has not really talked about design flaws yet).

Is there a screen saver in Gen4? Does it have the ability to choose from the last X things played, like the X1 does (9 in their case)? I do not know about other people, but I like to get in and out of Tivo Central a lot while I am watching something. How many clicks does it take to get back to where you were in certain situations? A LOT. But everyone is different. Take the Live Guide. It is GREAT. Part of what made Tivo, Tivo...and they took it out. Ridiculous. How about displaying the YEAR in recordings??? It's in the database. I like to keep things!!! Forever sometimes. And who is sick of losing your resume point if you get out of a recording EVEN 10 minutes before it ends? OR USER OPTIONS!!!

Oh so many complaints, but I would never want to give up all tuners buffering always, or QM or SM or LIVE GUIDE!!! As far as Wishlists and Search and predictive crap, I could care less. I know what I watch!

Well back to my Tivo now. This silly Gen4 keeps me too busy checking it out and keeping me from my Tivo. Some of you absolutely live on here. When do you have time to WATCH TV?????????? :rolleyes::D. I have enough problems keeping up with my TV with all the news that is killing our country and the world (yes, I am injecting Politics in here for a moment because it is very important these days...).

I will say one last thing, something I always say. Many of us do not pay for service since we have Lifetime on our Tivos. But we have paid thru the nose for them. So what actually is their incentive?

Good Grief, look what you made me do Dean...LOLOL. This is what happens when one cannot sleep and sits in front of ones PC before the sun even comes out.

HAPPY REST OF THANKSGIVING WEEKEND. HOPE EVERYONE HAS A LONG ONE!!!

·
I Am Sometimes Vocal
980 Posts
Since switching to Hydra, can't seem to figure out how to play all recordings of a particular show. Ie. Prior to Hydra, if i hit play on name of series in my shows list, all available episodes would play but can't seem to figure out how to do this on new UI. Any idea how to do this now?
Other people have said this too. Does anyone have any idea or comment as to why they have taken this BASIC feature out? They are ridiculous...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
I Am Sometimes Vocal
980 Posts
I am a very simple user all I want my TiVo to do is record stuff I tell it to and play it back.
AMEN!!!

maybe a teeny bit more (tivo to pc transfer), but not much...I gave up my Netflix Streaming when they wanted 2 bucks more a month instead of $1...had it for years (before all the original programming)...sad...:D. I do wish Gen3 was a bit faster (seems they can do it) and had voice command. Oh well.

·
I Am Sometimes Vocal
980 Posts
Noticed closed captions don't work properly in Quick Mode.
I love QM (mostly for news and some late night shows at times), but hate CC and I cannot even fathom how anyone could read it that fast...:eek::D

1 - 19 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.