TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
There's a lot to like about Hydra.

One thing that wasn't obvious in the demo videos is that there is no longer an audio dropout when going from Live TV --> TiVo Central or from TiVo Central --> Live TV.

One thing that surprised me is that you can't resume watching a show with a single click. I would expect that strip along the bottom to immediately resume playback of wherever you were (if in an episode, resume from that point; if not in an episode, resume watching the next episode in episodic order) if you hit "Play." You have to drill into the show to initiate playback. Maybe I'm missing an option setting somewhere.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
It's been years since I've had a dropout doing that in my setups. That's more equipment related. They fixed that a long time ago.
True. It's always been present in my setup (TiVo --> Denon AVR). Some updates would make it better; some updates would make it worse. :)

It's possible Hydra is built on a single video "container" which completely eliminates the possibility of it happening for anyone anymore. (The previous UI kinda felt like it had a TiVo Central container and a Live TV container - and it had to bounce between the two containers, which allowed audio dropouts for some setups.)

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
How will I know I can upgrade? I authorized at Tivo, I have the upgrade app checked, but it's not showing in the app list. Do I just keep connecting to Tivo and it will happen, or do I need to do something else?
Force a connection every 30 minutes. It will download eventually and you'll get a Pending Restart. The install goes very quickly - 10 minutes or less.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Didn't someone mention "Start Over" capability on HBO Go when Hydra launched? I just saw it for Netflix (Schitt's Creek) and Hulu (Scrubs).

There's an "A start over" popover (i.e. click A to start over) in the lower right when you tune to a show with an available streaming link.

EDIT: I see this on pretty much every TV show and movie with a streaming link (SVOD, rental, and purchase-only) on one of my active video providers.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
How can I tell if Hydra firmware is updated?
I own an Oppo 205 and when a new firmware is available a message will pop up and ask if I want to do the upgrade.
When I had Dish they would just update, but I could tell because it would start up on a different screen than usual.
Does Tivo give any kind of warning or will it just upgrade?
I see the software version listed as 21.7.2.RC7-A93-6-A93 (on my mini). Is this the original Mini Hydra or has it been changed?
I'd like to know when they do an upgrade so that I can see if the 'guide' issues have been addressed and fixed.
Thank
Tom
It will upgrade on it's own overnight.

You can either check here or periodically check the software version like you've been doing. For larger updates (2 or 3 times a year), a message will pop up on your TiVo announcing the new headline features.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Do the tiles on Home include streaming content? It's only picking up recorded content for me. I'm interesting in seeing how good this Digitalsmiths predictive technology is.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I'm curious what drives the episode-specific tile graphic (or lack thereof).
  • HULU: 4 episodes of Chicago PD (episodes 2 and 3 have generic cover art, 4 and 5 are episode-specific)
  • HULU: 6 episodes of This Is Us (episode 1 has episode-specific cover art, the rest are generic)
  • HULU: 6 episodes of Designated Survivor (all have episode-specific cover art)
  • RECORDING: 3 episodes of Halt and Catch Fire (all have generic cover art)
  • AP: All S1 and S2 episodes of Man in the High Castle (all appear to be generic)
I have 30-40 shows in My Shows. There's episode-specific cover art in 90-95% of the episode tiles I've seen.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I've had multiple issues on RC8 with the Amazon app.

On Roamio, I launched the app and received an "insufficient bandwidth" warning (fast.com reported 20mbps at the time). No button presses would allow me to exit the blank screen in the Amazon app. I even tried the old "backdoor" technique of initiating playback of a recording from the iPad app (this would help solve a hung TiVo in the gen3 UI). I had to pull the plug. After the reboot, I tried to play the same title. Same thing happened - I had to pull the plug.

On my Mini, about 24 hours later, I successfully initiated playback of another Amazon app program, but the grey spinning circle wouldn't go away. I couldn't use in-app trick play, go back to the app home screen, and the TiVo button on the remote wouldn't dump me back to TiVo Central. I had to pull the plug.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Quick sample. Today, NBC:
10am MTP Aired
1pm PGA Aired
7pm FNIA Airs
8:20pm SNF Aired

OAD in the past isn't retroactive either or they would be changing the two days of guide data still available. I see no pattern.
The 10am and 1pm issues could be explained away by the airs/aired logic incorrectly using GMT time instead of local time for it's date comparison, but that wouldn't explain the 8:20pm issue. Maybe the trouble cases are just on the current day? Do you see examples of "aired" tomorrow and beyond?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology, but I see a Gold Star Promo for Altered Carbon on Hydra. It shows up in that bottom bar on the TiVo Home screen, as well as the bottom bar that is invoked when watching a show and hitting directional down on the remote. In both scenarios, it shows up on screen, immediately to the left of my first/top recommended show. Highlighting it reveals the Gold Star. I have Altered Carbon in My Shows, and when I first saw it I thought TiVo figured out how to integrate OTT content into that bar. :)

And re: "Last", everything seems to work OK for me without jumping through any hoops.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Question. When you click on it and go to set a 1P, does it tell you it's not available? That happens to me since I don't have Netflix checked. My Hydra box is usually powered off, so I may have missed the "update" that gave you the gold star. But I have a Premiere that is also off at the same time as the Roamio and it has the gold star. Bad/Good luck I guess.
I just deleted my 1P and re-created it successfully via that method. And the metadata is jacked up for that show, of course. :)

I've been wanting to ping Ted to see if he's willing to do a TiVo Community AMA. That would be my only question - why is there such a delay in having OTT content show up and why is the metadata messed up so often.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Do Mini's and their hosts synchronize positions? Let's say I'm on the Mini and I have a multi season show (seasons 1 thru 10) and I'm on the tile for S3E1 in the episode strip. When I go back to the host and view the episode strip, should it be on S3E1? It seems like sometimes this works, and other times it doesn't.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.