TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
How will I know I can upgrade? I authorized at Tivo, I have the upgrade app checked, but it's not showing in the app list. Do I just keep connecting to Tivo and it will happen, or do I need to do something else?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
My Roamio upgrade went fine. Signed up at 9 am, connected to TiVo HQ about 9:30 am, spent maybe 10 minutes downloading, then reboot. The actual install only took 6 or 7 minutes.

One of my Mini's isn't doing so well...I've connected to TiVo HQ, it seemed to download something...I've restarted. It seemed to install something (clue was a new looking screen). Now after rebooting it gets stuck in a loop...black screen...old UI screen. I've connected to TiVo HQ again, I've restarted it 3 times...nothing. BTW, this is a Gen 1 Mini.

I'll keep checking back here for hints and ideas. Right now the Mini has been unplugged for about 20 minutes...I'm going to plug it in again and cross my fingers...
I'll let you know how my gen 1 mini goes when I get to that point. My plan today is Roamio first, then my gen 2 mini, lastly the gen 1 mini after the other 2 are working.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Okay...rebooting my Gen 1 Mini with the network connection pulled.
You were right. Here's what I did, maybe it'll help others with Mini problems:

1) pull the Mini's power
2) pull the Mini's ethernet connection
3) wait a bit...just a minute or three
4) apply the Mini's power
5) after it restarts you'll get TiVo Central with a "no network" error message
6) plug in your ethernet connection
7) wait 15 to 30 seconds for the "no network" error to go way
8) go to Live TV

UPDATE: Live TV only played for a brief period. Now it's back in the loop. Ugh.
Above worked for gen 2 Mini. Gen 1 mini worked for a minute, then went back to the loop, not working.

Anyone have a gen 1 mini working?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Gen 1 mini not working after about 5 tries of booting. It worked once for about a minute, now just loops. Upon reboot, following all advice about unplugging the network, it still just loops. Giving it a rest for now as this mini is not that important.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
If you don't like the guide try this. Start with the arrow up, then up and down will scroll through the channels able to see ahead by using right arrow.

After pressing up, you can also enter a channel number and jump to it, not changing channel but jumping ahead in the guide. Looks like a live guide work around. I like this better than grid.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
What is the workaround for the lack of a back button on the remote? I've been trying to find that all afternoon. I have 2 gen 1 minis attached to two different Roamios. One of them is for my 83 year old MiL, so I'm worried that she won't be able to handle any complex workarounds.
I use a gen 2 remote for the gen 1, so I have the back button. I did this for continuity a while ago.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I've tried my Gen 1 Mini with Hydra at least five times since I upgraded on Sunday. So far I have not needed to reboot it. It's come right up everytime I've used it. I've been specifically checking it to see if I run into any issues with Hydra on it.
For me it's both gen 1 and 2 mini's that get the check your cable card message that a re-boot fixes. But it is getting tiring.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
They are not going to. The left arrow doing back SOMETIMES was a flaw in the old UI. It didn't always go back. Now they have a dedicated back button. Just use it. I really don't get the angst over it.
The back button is small and not easy access. The left arrow was easy without looking at the remote, which happens when watching lying down in bed or a dark living room. It may not bother you but it does others.

Also, when scrolling up, down, right and back your finger is in one location to do all these functions. The back button removes that rhythm.

If the back button is so good why not a separate forward, left right and up button?

Sling TV and Vue TV started without a standard guide. They were forced to add them by customer pressure. The customer wanted a simple interface to see what was on, not a graphic oriented interface, which was how they designed it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.