TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
UHD Addict
23,268 Posts
There's a lot to like about Hydra.

One thing that wasn't obvious in the demo videos is that there is no longer an audio dropout when going from Live TV --> TiVo Central or from TiVo Central --> Live TV.

It's been years since I've had a dropout doing that in my setups. That's more equipment related. They fixed that a long time ago.

I'm still waiting for the Hydra update. But I din't sign up my boxes for Hydra until 8:50AM EDT. I decided to update three boxes. Saving my Main Bolt and my Mini connected to it for later.

·
UHD Addict
23,268 Posts
That didn't take long. Less than half an hour to hit the boxes. I only messed with the Hydra UI for a few minutes. But so far it seems like a big improvement. I'll need to dive deeper when I get home this afternoon.

·
UHD Addict
23,268 Posts
Overall I'm really liking Hydra. I have already decided to switch all my TiVos to it. I just added them to the update list.

Reactions: foghorn2

·
UHD Addict
23,268 Posts
Glitch:

Using a few 30skips in quick succession (to get to front of the buffer) leaves me with no audio. Need to skip-back to get audio to return.

Nearly 100% repeatable.
I just tried that here from one of my Bolts on hydra with a couple of shows. I didn't loose audio. I even quickly hit the skip button twenty times so it would go forward ten minutes at 30 second intervals. My audio was still there.

·
UHD Addict
23,268 Posts
One thing I am seeing with Hydra, is that it is taking longer to re-sync when there are resolution changes. Before it was less than two seconds. But I'm seeing up to six seconds now. Which is way too long.

·
UHD Addict
23,268 Posts
How are you getting it to switch? I've had mine at single resolution for a long time but can't get it to go native today.
The same as always. You select the output resolutions you want. I currently have 720P, 1080i, 108P24, and 2160P24 selected.

I also just upgraded my Gen 1 Mini and my 4TB Bolt to Hydra. Both seem to be working fine so far.

·
UHD Addict
23,268 Posts
Hmm. Mine won't take. That's what I tried. No big deal. I was just trying to replicate your issue.
I'll need to change mine to 1080P24, 1080P60, and 2160P24 to avoid the long re-syncs. Since it will play back the Broadcast 720P and 1080i content as 1080P60 and avoid the long resyncs. But I originally had my Bolts set for 720P and 1080i because my Sony TV does a better job scaling than the Bolts.

·
UHD Addict
23,268 Posts
Is that a 4TB internal drive or a 3TB internal with a 1TB Expander? I'm hoping the former because I have an 8TB drive in my Roamio Pro and was looking for somebody with an upgraded drive to report a successful Hydra upgrade.
It's a 4TB internal drive.

·
UHD Addict
23,268 Posts
I cannot find the detailed info screen that had the file size of each program on it. Anyone?
I don't see the size info any more either. When I hit the info button while the show is selected, it doesn't show it.

·
UHD Addict
23,268 Posts
So how do the people with first gen Mini (IR Remote only) get around the fact their remote does not have a Back button?

Do they have to get a new remote? If they do, will it work with that version of Mini, which does not do RF?
I use an RF dongle so I can use the newer TiVo remotes with my Gen 1 Mini. Although I guess it won;t work with the Vox remote since they went back to using Bluetooth.

·
UHD Addict
23,268 Posts
I prefer the TiVo to output in Native Resolution, but it seems like this is broke in Hydra. Anyone know of any fixes or workarounds?
I can get my Bolts to output in native at 1080i or 720P but only if those resolutions are checked. As son as you check 1080P24/30 or 2160P24/30, it goes by the framerate,(which it mentions something about on the output page) So then 720P60 gets scaled to 1080P60 and then 1080i gets output as 2160P30 or 1080P30 depending on what you have set. So between that and the three times longer it takes to re-sync resolution and framerate changes in my setups(up to six second now), I am setting my boxes for just 1080P60 output or 2160P60 output.

Reactions: y2jdmbfan

·
UHD Addict
23,268 Posts
I don't have a bolt or a UHD TV but I have my Roamio hooked by HDMI, through a Onkyo receiver, to a Pioneer Kuro and I have the multiple resolutions checked except for 1080p60. If you check that resolution then it will ignore all the other resolution settings and only output 1080p60. I can get the box to output 720p, 1080i, and 1080p24, but not 480p 0r 480i. On the SD channels it will output whatever HD resolution you were on before tuning to a SD channel.
The syncing time is pretty quick, about 2 to 4 seconds, and that is going through a receiver that is set to pass through. My other Roamio is hooked directly by HDMI to my other Kuro and the syncing time is the same so the receiver is not the issue.
Four second syncing is very slow to me. I've seen as long as six seconds since upgrading to Hydra. Prior to hydra, it was always under two seconds in my setups. For me, I have too many resyncs since I watch a large mix of 1080i and 720P content from Broadcasts. So at least by me selecting only 1080P60 or 216P60 for output, it only takes a split second between content with different resolutions/frame rates, instead of many seconds.

·
UHD Addict
23,268 Posts
I believe that particular feature is called the "episode strip" and it can be disabled, reverting to just displaying the textual show name.

Click 'A' within My Shows to customize.
I love the episode strip! It's one of my favorite features of Hydra!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
UHD Addict
23,268 Posts
I've tried my Gen 1 Mini with Hydra at least five times since I upgraded on Sunday. So far I have not needed to reboot it. It's come right up everytime I've used it. I've been specifically checking it to see if I run into any issues with Hydra on it.

·
UHD Addict
23,268 Posts
My system includes 2 Bolt+ and 3 TiVo mini's.

Can I upgrade one bolt+ to Hydra without impacting the ability of the other Bolt+ and mini's to access the Bolt+ Hydra's content?
If the Minis host has hydra then the mini has to have hydra. Otherwise you should still be able to stream from the Hydra TiVo. I could when I had only upgraded one Bolt to Hydra. I could still stream the content to my other TiVos and Mini not on Hydra. My Mini was still using a non hydra host.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

·
UHD Addict
23,268 Posts
iF you filled that space up then the UI would be too cluttered.

·
UHD Addict
23,268 Posts
Here is a picture of the episode strip (ON) default behavior:
View attachment 31466

Notice that each item has the same image and only 3 items are shown. Yikes.
Here is a picture of Episode Strip OFF List:

View attachment 31467

This is well designed screen that contains:
  • The active Video screen
  • A left justified list view
  • Multiple columns
  • Show Icon
  • Show detail
I would prefer a My Shows behaved like the Episode Strip Off window.

- Rich
Most of the shows in my list show different pics for each episode. I never looked close at the VanHelsing epsiode strip though. I'll need to take a closer look.

·
UHD Addict
23,268 Posts
Most of the shows in my list show different pics for each episode. I never looked close at the VanHelsing epsiode strip though. I'll need to take a closer look.
I gave up on episode strip - hopefully just a bug that will be resolved - it seems to randomly go away when I move up and down in My Shows (sometimes open, sometimes Select to open) and it is more annoying to come and go then just be gone all the time.

I was also thinking it might be useful to have D toggle most screens to display these icons/strips as a uniform method to enable or disable graphics vs txt lists.
I checked around fifteen shows last night with the episode strip. But out of those only two had repeating pictures. Van Helsing and The Blacklist. The rest had a different picture for each episode.

·
UHD Addict
23,268 Posts
Transfers is broken under the new interface, especially using pyTivo to transfer to/from a PC.
pyTiVo works perfectly fine transferring from a TiVo to a PC. So does KMTTG. Its transferring from the PC to the TiVo that doesn't work.

I am using Plex now so I can just stream that content to my TiVos if I need too. I have KMTTG setup to automatically convert the .TiVo Fi!es, then it goes into !u p!ex folder. And I can stream them to my Minis, Romaio, and Bolts.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: SandiMacD

·
UHD Addict
23,268 Posts
HaVing to find a manual to understand how to use Hydra is just another example of how terrible Hydra is. Buggy, NOT INTUITIVE, a prime example of fixing something that wasn't broken. They should have made the old UI better not assumed they knew better than us what we wanted and designed a difficult annoying bugging user interface and thinking it would be embraced as the next greatest thing. As word of how terrible Hydra is gets out they are going to see sales plunge. Wake up Tivo you better fix both the bugs and the negatives in Hydra or you will pay the price at the cash register.
I thought Hydra was very intuitive. I didn't need a manual to figure it out.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.