TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On this the eve of the TiVo Hydra/Gen4 User Interface, I thought that it might make sense to establish a separate thread where users' reviews and comments on the new UI could be consolidated. Feel free to use this thread for that purpose.

Given the breath of the topic, I separately have put up a TiVo VOX/voice remote control reviews and comments thread (under the TiVo Coffeehouse - TiVo Discussion sub-forum) and a TiVo Mini VOX/4K reviews and comments thread (under the TiVo Mini sub-forum), to try to make it easier for people to find what they might be looking for. Feel free to use those threads as well.

Exciting times!

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #919 ·
RE: Hydra on new hardware...

It is no mystery...they had built up plans for the rollout of the VOX units for the Holidays and needed software that supported it. It was pushed out while the paint was still wet. It is getting better and most operational issues have been resolved.
But with certain beneficial features of Gen3 still missing, right? Apart from some preferences that people might have (specifically, thinking the TiVo Guide), some major items such as program transferability off and onto the box.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #928 ·
As the OP noted...set up your tuners and then switch from tuner to tuner as desired. One advantage to using this method is that each channel will have a 30 minute buffer in case you want to rewind a bit.

I use tuner switching every day...especially during the 5 pm to 7 pm newscasts. I'll put CNN, MSNBC, NBC, ABC and CBS each on their own tuner...then switch around getting a flavor of what they're covering and how they're portraying the day's news.
I would find this way too confusing, esp. in the morning--but more power to you! :)

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,009 ·
As you can see from my Logo, I have owned a lot of TiVos over the years. Bought my first one in 2000. I recently "upgraded" to Hydra. Perhaps I am just an old guy, but I find the new TiVo experience jarring and unpleasant. My wife absolutely hates it. After upgrading one of our TiVos she vigorously refused to consider doing it on another one.

I'm guessing this is just follow the leader. Newer isn't always better. How many kids are still using cable/ It's us old people who haven't pulled the plug. After switching to the new interface, pulling the plug looks better and better every day.

Personally, I wish I had never switched. I hope this isn't the future of TiVo. If this is, more TiVo isn't in my future.
Do note that you easily can retrograde your Hydra box back to its earlier UI--TiVo made that possible. The one caveat being, you will lose the recordings on your box. (If you want to save them, transfer them to another TiVo box or your PC first--you can transfer them back after. An easy-to-use freeware transfer software: pyTivo Desktop -- pyTivo Desktop -- Easier to use pyTivo.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,015 ·

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,017 ·
How full is your TiVo box? If full/close to full, could it be deleting the shows and then immediately using the space for new shows (and so, the old shows wouldn't show in the deleted folder)?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.