TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to this web-site and apologize if the question has been asked. I have a Series 2 Tivo(Don't know manufacturer(Silver Model) that has all of a sudden gone to the warming up screen and won't get past it. About 4 motnhs ago I had noticed some flicker in recordings where it seemed as if there could be a H/D problem on the way, but it has been fine since then.

I also noticed just today that for the past month my service bill hadn't been paid as my credit card number was changed(issued a new card recently). I didn't know if not paying the bill the last month(6 days over due) would have anything to do with it not starting up.

Anyway, any advice on diagnosing or should I just go ahead and order up a new hard drive?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
You can try a program called dd_rescue to recover the TiVo software and recordings. More likley you are going to need to get an image for your model of TiVo there is a Image begging thread in the TiVoUpgrade forum or you can purchase Instantcake from DVRUpgrade you will need your TiVo's model number images are unique for each model of TiVo.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
rad1701 said:
I've got a similar problem. Is it worth trying to reimage or save the old hard drive? Or in most of these cases is the drive not worth saving?
No, once the drive has started to fail the hard drive is not worth saving. Normally when a drive starts showing symptoms of failure it won't be long before that drive becomes completely unusable. Sometimes you can recover the TiVo software, settings and recordings from a failing drive how much time and $ you put into the recovery depends on you. Restoring the TiVo software from an image to a new hard drive is much quicker and unless the image is made from your TiVo you loose your recording's and settings.

I recommend running SpinRite or the drives manufactures free diagnostics on all drives new or old before trusting them in a PC or TiVo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.