TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if there's any chance that TiVo would ever release a box that records HD WITHOUT using cablecard (maybe by using a DVI or HDMI input) for those of us in Canada where there is NO cablecard support?

·
UHD Addict
23,268 Posts
The current box records OTA HD without cablecard.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
From what I have read a HDMI stream is restricted from being recorded by HDMI specifications.

I believe the HD output from component outputs can be recorded but it would take equipment that is more powerful than current TiVos.

Thanks,

·
Registered
27,058 Posts
Vidfreaky said:
Anyone know if there's any chance that TiVo would ever release a box that records HD WITHOUT using cablecard (maybe by using a DVI or HDMI input) for those of us in Canada where there is NO cablecard support?
It also records unencrypted QAM, but without guide data. They seemed to have moved away from the Tivo + cablebox platform, so I doubt you'll see one with HDMI-in support.

Personally, I started using OTA for my HD channels and have been fairly happy with the quality, even though I pay good money to the cable company for basic cable which includes digital HD networks (but Tivo lacks guide data for them)

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
I am assuming that the orginial poster (OP) was asking about recording HD content from a cable or satellite receiver/set-top box's (STB) HD output (DVI, HDMI, or component outputs).

Do to Digital Rights Management (DRM)/licensing no one can record from a HDMI output.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP

HD component output streams however can be recorded, the problem is the amount of power need to transcode the HD component stream back into a MPEG 2 or 4 file. The people who seem to be in the know in this forum have indicated the current Series 3/TiVo HD units would not be able to do it even if they had the inputs.

Personally I would love to have a TiVo HD that could because my only video option is satellite.

Thanks,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.