·
travelling member
133 Posts
Too depressing for words - I want one!

·
Serious TiVo User
1,181 Posts
"Hey, let's see what's on TiVo!"

Excellent animation - but I'm pretty sure you'd be able to skip it (like we can now) once it gets tiresome.

Anyway, what's a restart? I used to do something like that to refresh channel logos, but haven't done so for a while now ;)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
healeydave said:
Like ArielPlug says, whats a restart, once of the benefits to Tivo is you don't have to constantly restart (its linux, not windoz).
You still reboot Windows. :eek:

Out of the 10 Vista machines we have, reveals 33 application faults (6 off Internet Explorer, 8 Acrobat faults (pre version 8.1) and rest our circuit design software) and only 1 windows fault where "Windows stopped working" this due to the ATI graphics driver which was auto-fixed and updated on 23/4/07.

There have been no user instigated reboots or shutdows since first deployement on 17/2/07. :up:

·
from tivoland.com
944 Posts
Well if it is indeed that reliable, its only about 15 years late in the making.

In my experience, I have never been able to have a PC running 24x7 opening and closing different apps and not had to do what I would call a refresh boot of the system to get all memory and resources back after a month or so (with the exception of the Server Editions). Maybe they've done a sterling job with Vista, I'd finally lost interest by the time that came out.

Please tell me in Vista they have finally cracked the old 100% processor utilisation that could be max'ed by simply finding a webpage in Internet Explorer (that is scrollable) and wheeling the mouse up and down??? (P.S. you need task manager minimized in the task bar so you can monitor the processor bar's activity).

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
healeydave said:
Please tell me in Vista they have finally cracked the old 100% processor utilisation that could be max'ed by simply finding a webpage in Internet Explorer (that is scrollable) and wheeling the mouse up and down??? (P.S. you need task manager minimized in the task bar so you can monitor the processor bar's activity).
Just tried it, the % bar moved as I wheeled up and down. With task manager on top I get 10%-30% CPU (both as dual core) using a reasonably wizzo ATI graphics card (Aero capable PI of 4.2) @ 1600x1200 @ 75Hz with Vista Ultimate.

Just tried it on XP with old ATI graphics card (2.8MHz P4) and I get 30-60% CPU utilisation. 1280x1024 @ 75Hz

Tried it on a 2.4GHz Celeron P4 with shared graphics memory (845G) and I get 100% utilisation in scrolling. 1024x768 @ 60Hz.

So certainly graphics card and CPU speed related.

Never noticed it before as usually when wizzing sceen up and down what else is happening is not relevant.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Just tried it on an XP PC with an Nvidia GeForce4 ??? @ 1280 x 1024 @ 85Hz and CPU usage is 10-20%.

So looks like graphics card performance is the limiting factor.

Seem quite possible that the faster/better the graphics card, the less CPU needed.

·
Registered
268 Posts
This one just makes me cry:

:(

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
b166er said:
Video at YouTube

Sorry if it's already been posted.
I personally think our version is shorter sweeter and more to the point. All the other stuff they fill up the minute and a bit with has very little to do with saying this is your Tivo and your Tivo Guy.

I would like to be able to replace the Powering Up screen with some of those nice colourful graphics they use on the later US Tivos though.

·
TiVoCentral.co.uk
2,599 Posts
healeydave said:
Please tell me in Vista they have finally cracked the old 100% processor utilisation that could be max'ed by simply finding a webpage in Internet Explorer (that is scrollable) and wheeling the mouse up and down??? .
Firefox on OS X has had a similar bug for ages too:
http://digg.com/tech_news/Firefox_Bug_Causes_100_CPU_Usage_on_Mac_OS_X

I'd prefer a snappy GUI response and 100% usage for a short time
than a sluggish response and 50% usage though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts