TiVo Community Forum banner
61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Any thoughts on the Samsung Spinpoint drives? Has anyone used it??

SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Newegg has the 500gb Samsung spinpoint for around $119; that is a lot cheaper than the Seagate. Also, where do I get the acoustic management software and do I need to run it on the samsung drive? What level do I set it at?

Do you need to run acoustic management on all HDD, just not the Seagate DB35??Sorry for the newbie questions.

Thanks for the information!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
rcamille said:
If i use a non Seagate DB35 drive, when do i run the acoustic management software? I was looking at the WD 500gb hd. Isn't the factory TiVo HD drive a WD? Does anyone have a specific model number WD drive that they like? (or any other brand??)

Thanks for your help
I was going to use the WD5000YS raid drive which is around $120 locally, however Fry's threw the WD5000AAKS drive on sale so I went with that one. Being a Linux guy and never turning a PC off, I've run the WD KS and YS series drives forever. I also threw a WD 120GB in my Direct Tivo (series 2 SD) 3 years ago and have never had an issue with them. You'll pay a premium for the DB35's, they may be a bit quieter, and they may last longer, however like someone else voiced. At $99 I'll just swap in a new one. I've still got my 40GB SD tivo drive sitting in the drawer, and it just got joined by the 160GB drive from my Tivo HD. YMMV, but the WD5000AAKS is quiet and it works, no opinion on the lifespan of it, but I'll bet it's still running 3 years from now, based on experience with other drives. The only brand I've seen fail consistently, and this is from working as a sysadmin at a site with 5000 clients would be Maxtors. You won't find them in my home equipment, but you do find them spec'd for off the shelf Dell Optiplexes. :)

Mark

·
Registered
22 Posts
rcamille said:
Any thoughts on the Samsung Spinpoint drives? Has anyone used it??

SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Newegg has the 500gb Samsung spinpoint for around $119; that is a lot cheaper than the Seagate. Also, where do I get the acoustic management software and do I need to run it on the samsung drive? What level do I set it at?

Do you need to run acoustic management on all HDD, just not the Seagate DB35??Sorry for the newbie questions.

Thanks for the information!!!!
Not sure what the windows mfs stuff uses, but hdparm can manage that. Use the Linux iso.

Mark

61 - 63 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.