TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Vespa said:
Does anyone have a good list of HDD's that should be considered when upgrading your Tivo? Without starting a holy war...what is better for Tivo? Seagate ? WD?
Seagate's DB35 7200.3 series (SATA 500GB ST3500830SCE and SATA 750GB ST3750840SCE) seems to be the drive of choice by the pros such as The TiVo Community Store and Weaknees. They are dedicated DVR drives with low db, temp and failure numbers plus a 5 year warranty. I’ve had excellent luck with every Seagate drive I’ve owned over the years. My two-cents. :)

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Vespa said:
Thanks....that is very helpful!
No problem...here to help! ;)

When looking for a HDD for TiVo a while back I noted this info on the Weaknees site:

Seagate DB35 drives have a few key differences from normal desktop drives that make them far superior to desktop drives for PVR usage:

Thermal Control: On board sensors monitor temperature and adjust characteristics as necessary to keep the temperature optimal.
Durability: These drives run at 7200 RPM - more than fast enough for every PVR (providing about three times the necessary peak throughput) but not fast enough to wear out sooner.
Acoustic Management: DVR-specific drives are specially tuned to run as quietly as possible.
A/V Streaming: DVR-specific drives have been optimized and tuned to provide consistent data to the PVR processor. Standard desktop drives can hang while retrying drive reads - DB35 drives know to move ahead and provide more data to keep video smooth.
Error Recovery: Desktop drives retry on errors to make sure that your Excel spreadsheet is exactly right - it's imperative. But when watching video, if one block of data is bad, you may not even notice a dark spot on one frame for 1/30th of a second. So these drives are tuned to move past errors faster, putting the stream of data as top priority. Where desktop drives often cause stutters, these drives run smooth.
These are key qualities to look for in any brand I would think.

·
Lean Forward
1,063 Posts
Careful what you read when someone is selling you something. :eek:

Acoustic Management The DB-35 is only of value for the TiVo for its pre-set “silentseek actuator profile”. This feature forces users to pay a premium for a silent seek when other manufacturers use industry standard methods to allow end-users to adjust noise level easily themselves.

Thermal Control This is nothing more than the standby and sleep modes that most drives now have. Not applicable to the TiVo S3/HD which never sleeps.

A/V Streaming related Error Recovery These features are part of a specialized command set and are also irrelevant to the TiVo which will make no use of those features. The TiVo is only looking for a regular SATA hard drive, and thankfully so, too. Otherwise we would be locked in to a specific vendors model for upgrading. The 10 simultaneous streams capability may eventually be of some value for the TiVo S5 or whatever. The current demands on the hard drive are so minimal that the vast majority of time the TiVo's hard drive is just waiting for something to do.

Durability The same as Seagate's other equivalent non-DVR drives. Nothing special here.

The DB-35 (and the CinemaStar and other new DVR drives) is intended as an OEM drive that a manufacturer would build a system around using it's custom command set or having Seagate configure the drive in the firmware especially for the manufacturer. Short of that it is just seen by the TiVo as a regular SATA hard drive.

The DB-35 is a great drive and the most appropriate of Seagate's offerings (because of its quietness) but the spew from Weakness is taking advantage of the warm fuzzy marketing syndrome we all fall victim to. If we think it is better we feel better about it. The DB-35 is no better than an equivalent quality regular SATA drive from another manufacturer that has been manually put into quiet seek mode.

For more info, go to the source:
Seagate Technology Paper
DB35 Series 7200.3 Data Sheet

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just bought a 750gb Seaate DB35 from Thenerds.net for $265 and successfully followed the above instructions and swapped out my own drive (and I am a novice at this stuff). Worked fine. Saved me $120 over weaknees' price.

Thanks everyone for the info! :up:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Vespa said:
Does anyone have a good list of HDD's that should be considered when upgrading your Tivo? Without starting a holy war...what is better for Tivo? Seagate ? WD?
I can recommend the Hitachi 1TB Deskstar drive. I got in on the BB deal for the external drive, and just removed the drive from the enclosure. Ran WinMFS on it, adjusted the Acoustic Management to 128, and popped it back into the TivoHD with great success. It's as quiet as the original WD drive.

I'd also recommend to stay away from the standard Seagate 750GB desktop drive (Non-DB35). Since you have no way of adjusting the acoustic levels, this drive runs super loud and super hot.

But the Seagate DB35 drive seems also highly recommended since it's pre-set to work in DVR's.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You've been sleeping. :) 1.3a works fine. Just threw a WD5000AAKS in the TivoHD, so now I have 64HD hours and 607SD. :) Works like a charm. Broke down and rebooted as I realized my only two sata power connectors were connected to the system's raid. Took about 1.5 hours to do it as I backed up all the recorded stuff. Otherwise we'd be talking 15 minute operation. FWIW, the mfstools from the .iso image will run under Ubuntu.

Mark

·
Registered
108 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance, but I just downloaded winmfs beta 5, unzipped it and ran the program. I don't see a pulldown menu for mfscopy. The only pulldowns are File and Help. I have not yet connected my TiVo Drive or the drive I am upgrading too. Please advise. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
rcamille said:
Please excuse my ignorance, but I just downloaded winmfs beta 5, unzipped it and ran the program. I don't see a pulldown menu for mfscopy. The only pulldowns are File and Help. I have not yet connected my TiVo Drive or the drive I am upgrading too. Please advise. Thanks for your help
You've got to select the drive under File -> Select Drive before you get those extra options.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
rcamille said:
You have to select the drive before you will see the options.

You can't select the drive if you don't have it connected ... :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks for your help. I am running Windows XP w/SP2. Is there any concern that the old or new drive will mount under windows? What is the risk of damaging the existing TiVo drive? Thanks - I am about to take the leap, but am a bit anxious.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
rcamille said:
Thanks for your help. I am running Windows XP w/SP2. Is there any concern that the old or new drive will mount under windows? What is the risk of damaging the existing TiVo drive? Thanks - I am about to take the leap, but am a bit anxious.
No risk with Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If i use a non Seagate DB35 drive, when do i run the acoustic management software? I was looking at the WD 500gb hd. Isn't the factory TiVo HD drive a WD? Does anyone have a specific model number WD drive that they like? (or any other brand??)

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
rcamille said:
If i use a non Seagate DB35 drive, when do i run the acoustic management software?
Before you put the drive in the Tivo :)

You can run it before or after you expand the drive.

And it's not just a non-Seagate DB35 drive, it's a non-Seagate drive (e.g. WD, Hitachi). If you want AM on a Seagate, you have to buy a DB35 drive.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.