TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
The closest thing to idiot proof instructions is the "quick guide" at www.mfslive.org for the winmfs software.

This tells you how to copy the drive from a Series 3 or Tivo HD to a new virgin drive. It does not tell you how to remove the drive from the Tivo, etc, allthough in their quick guide for their bootable CD there are some instructions for hookup of the SATA drive to your PC motherboard.

I paid $99 for my 500GB Hitachi Deskstar drive which I then ran the acoustic management software on and installed in my Tivo HD. dvrupgrade.com wants $299 for a 500GB upgrade. So, it's more like triple the cost of doing it myself. DVRupgrade wants $599 for a 500GB Tivo HD. I paid $218 for my Tivo HD + $99 for the bigger HD. So in that case it's $300 more than doing it myself.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
dammad said:
I see some instructions around on the net for updates to large internal drives (such as those on WeaKnees).

Do these work for TiVo HDs (Series 3 Lite) also? Has anyone tried?
Yes. The WinMFS upgrade program works for the TivoHD and Tivo Series3.

Instructions Summary
  1. Remove the outer case and existing drive using a torx screwdriver in the T10 size. If you don't have one of appropriate length, you can purchase the Star Driver T10 Ampro (9014713) from Advance Auto Parts for about $4.
  2. Download WinMFS here.
  3. Shut down Windows and attach original TiVo drive. You can open your computer and attach it with a SATA cable, or attach it externally using a SATA->USB adapter like this.
  4. Boot to Windows XP (SP2) or Vista, run WinMFS, and click 'Select Drive' to select the drive you attached.
  5. In WinMFS, click the 'Backup' option. Save the file to your hard drive.
  6. Shut down the computer and attach the new, larger drive. You can disconnect the original Tivo drive.
  7. Turn your computer back on, run WinMFS, and click the 'Restore' option. Select the file you saved to your hard drive in step #5.
  8. You're done. Install the new drive in the TivoHD.

Detailed Instructions

Note that won't backup your existing recordings. The "Backup" option in WinMFS just backs up the Tivo software and your configuration, not the recordings.

If you want to backup your recordings too,then you need to choose the MFSCopy option in WinMFS which requires that the original Tivo drive and new drive be connected at the same time -- in which case you may want 2x SATA -> USB adapters.

Be sure to purchase a hard drive with appropriate noise output and heat dissipation. Many retail drives will make your TivoHD sound like a jet engine. You can buy the same quiet Seagate DB35 drives used by Weaknees right here. For the TivoHD and Series3, you need the SCE version, available in 500Gb ($150) and 750Gb ($265) sizes.

If you want to buy a drive locally, ask in the forum for recommendations on quiet drives.

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Excellent summary...thanks for that! :up:

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Note that the order listed for bkdtv will not copy your existing programs over.

To do that, you'll need to attach both drives at the same time and use mfscopy instead of restore.

·
Registered
203 Posts
jfh3 said:
Note that the order listed for bkdtv will not copy your existing programs over.

To do that, you'll need to attach both drives at the same time and use mfscopy instead of restore.
What if you have only 2 SATA connectors - couldn't you use MFSCOPY to backup your recordings to the windows drive, then (after connecting the new drive) restore to the new drive?

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
mazman said:
What if you have only 2 SATA connectors - couldn't you use MFSCOPY to backup your recordings to the windows drive, then (after connecting the new drive) restore to the new drive?
No, MFSCopy is supported Tivo drive to Tivo or bare drive only.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Guy Kuo said:
Get a USB to SATA adapter and connect the original drive to a USB2 port. I used a Vantech which cost about $30. Compared to the old days of Hinsdale instructions, winMFS is blood simple.
Do you have the model # of the Vantech?

·
Tivo Junkie
636 Posts

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
chrishicks said:
would this let me do the process posted above using a laptop(I have 3 of them)? I haven't owned a desktop in years.
I don't see why not, so long as you have a laptop running Windows XP or Vista.

You should not connect your Tivo drive to any PC running Windows 9x / Me or Windows 2000 SP1.

·
Tivo Junkie
636 Posts
bkdtv said:
I don't see why not, so long as you have a laptop running Windows XP or Vista.

You should not connect your Tivo drive to any PC running Windows 9x / Me or Windows 2000 SP1.
cool. thanks for the reply.

all my laptops are newer. I run XP, XP Pro and Vista Ultimate.

·
Registered
67 Posts
chrishicks said:
would this let me do the process posted above using a laptop(I have 3 of them)? I haven't owned a desktop in years.
If you have two free USB 2.0 slots, you can even do an MFSCopy, and do a full copy of the drive.

USB-to-SATA Adapters: $25
750GB upgrade hard drive: $200
Your seeing where this is going: priceless.

;)

Bill

·
HD Tech
987 Posts
Is it possible to take the internal drive and the eSATA drive from an S3, and copy their contents (programs and all) to a single new drive which can then be installed internally?

I'm concerned with the many horror stories from people with eSATA drives losing all their programs, and would like to go to a large internal drive but preserve what I have recorded.

·
Registered
419 Posts
dougdingle said:
Is it possible to take the internal drive and the eSATA drive from an S3, and copy their contents (programs and all) to a single new drive which can then be installed internally?

I'm concerned with the many horror stories from people with eSATA drives losing all their programs, and would like to go to a large internal drive but preserve what I have recorded.
Not yet but working on it.

·
HD Tech
987 Posts
spike2k5 said:
Not yet but working on it.
So I browsed around the MFSLive upgrade guide, page 3, and found this:

"Series 3:

Disk to Disk Copy
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Slow way but preserves recordings: (avg 2GB/min)

Option 3.20 To copy everything from original capacity (250GB) internal drive and eSATA drive to bigger single drive and expand capacity. If you get "Backup target not large enough" error, chances are you will need to use this command. This option works only if your internal drive is never been expanded with restore -x option.
This option is built into WinMFS so give it a try."

But at the top of the page, it says:

"Option 3.2 To copy from expanded dual drives to new single bigger drive:
This option if not supported yet."

So I'm confused.

If I don't have an expanded internal drive (just the original 250 gig it came with), and I have a 500 gig eSATA drive as well, can I use WinMFS to copy all the contents to a new 750 gig SATA drive and make that the only drive (internal)?

Or is this what you are working on?

Thanks (and for all your work on this so far as well).

21 - 40 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.