TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Anyone who is having second thoughts and doubts about upgrading the drive in their Tivo probably shouldn't do it (not everyone has PC repair skills).

On the other hand, if said person has a friend or co-worker who knows the innards of PCs well enough to do the operation for them, a 12 pack of the beverage of their choice works wonders for getting such things done (beverage to be enjoyed AFTER successful upgrade naturally). ;)

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
The closest thing to idiot proof instructions is the "quick guide" at www.mfslive.org for the winmfs software.

This tells you how to copy the drive from a Series 3 or Tivo HD to a new virgin drive. It does not tell you how to remove the drive from the Tivo, etc, allthough in their quick guide for their bootable CD there are some instructions for hookup of the SATA drive to your PC motherboard.

I paid $99 for my 500GB Hitachi Deskstar drive which I then ran the acoustic management software on and installed in my Tivo HD. dvrupgrade.com wants $299 for a 500GB upgrade. So, it's more like triple the cost of doing it myself. DVRupgrade wants $599 for a 500GB Tivo HD. I paid $218 for my Tivo HD + $99 for the bigger HD. So in that case it's $300 more than doing it myself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.