TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
quarque said:
In another thread the chip snoopers have decided that the external esata port is a *split* not a separate channel. This would degrade the performance if you add a second external drive.
Well that is true, it is completely unknown what impact this will have on Tivo responsiveness. It may have no perceivable impact whatsoever.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
dammad said:
I see some instructions around on the net for updates to large internal drives (such as those on WeaKnees).

Do these work for TiVo HDs (Series 3 Lite) also? Has anyone tried?
Yes. The WinMFS upgrade program works for the TivoHD and Tivo Series3.

Instructions Summary
  1. Remove the outer case and existing drive using a torx screwdriver in the T10 size. If you don't have one of appropriate length, you can purchase the Star Driver T10 Ampro (9014713) from Advance Auto Parts for about $4.
  2. Download WinMFS here.
  3. Shut down Windows and attach original TiVo drive. You can open your computer and attach it with a SATA cable, or attach it externally using a SATA->USB adapter like this.
  4. Boot to Windows XP (SP2) or Vista, run WinMFS, and click 'Select Drive' to select the drive you attached.
  5. In WinMFS, click the 'Backup' option. Save the file to your hard drive.
  6. Shut down the computer and attach the new, larger drive. You can disconnect the original Tivo drive.
  7. Turn your computer back on, run WinMFS, and click the 'Restore' option. Select the file you saved to your hard drive in step #5.
  8. You're done. Install the new drive in the TivoHD.

Detailed Instructions

Note that won't backup your existing recordings. The "Backup" option in WinMFS just backs up the Tivo software and your configuration, not the recordings.

If you want to backup your recordings too,then you need to choose the MFSCopy option in WinMFS which requires that the original Tivo drive and new drive be connected at the same time -- in which case you may want 2x SATA -> USB adapters.

Be sure to purchase a hard drive with appropriate noise output and heat dissipation. Many retail drives will make your TivoHD sound like a jet engine. You can buy the same quiet Seagate DB35 drives used by Weaknees right here. For the TivoHD and Series3, you need the SCE version, available in 500Gb ($150) and 750Gb ($265) sizes.

If you want to buy a drive locally, ask in the forum for recommendations on quiet drives.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
chrishicks said:
would this let me do the process posted above using a laptop(I have 3 of them)? I haven't owned a desktop in years.
I don't see why not, so long as you have a laptop running Windows XP or Vista.

You should not connect your Tivo drive to any PC running Windows 9x / Me or Windows 2000 SP1.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
rcamille said:
Please excuse my ignorance, but I just downloaded winmfs beta 5, unzipped it and ran the program. I don't see a pulldown menu for mfscopy. The only pulldowns are File and Help. I have not yet connected my TiVo Drive or the drive I am upgrading too. Please advise. Thanks for your help
You've got to select the drive under File -> Select Drive before you get those extra options.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
rcamille said:
Thanks for your help. I am running Windows XP w/SP2. Is there any concern that the old or new drive will mount under windows? What is the risk of damaging the existing TiVo drive? Thanks - I am about to take the leap, but am a bit anxious.
No risk with Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.