TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Dr_Diablo said:
Drives for the Tivo HD, just to upgrade the Series 3 units...

My hats off to anyone brave nuff to swap out an internal drive. I prefer to add an second drive via the SATA port
Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on your perspective) eSATA is not an option for TiVo HD's at this time.

Swapping out a formatted TiVo HDD takes about 10 minutes. Formatting your own and installing it takes about 20 minutes (or less) depending on how much coffee one drinks. ;)

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Excellent summary...thanks for that! :up:

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Vespa said:
Does anyone have a good list of HDD's that should be considered when upgrading your Tivo? Without starting a holy war...what is better for Tivo? Seagate ? WD?
Seagate's DB35 7200.3 series (SATA 500GB ST3500830SCE and SATA 750GB ST3750840SCE) seems to be the drive of choice by the pros such as The TiVo Community Store and Weaknees. They are dedicated DVR drives with low db, temp and failure numbers plus a 5 year warranty. I’ve had excellent luck with every Seagate drive I’ve owned over the years. My two-cents. :)

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Vespa said:
Thanks....that is very helpful!
No problem...here to help! ;)

When looking for a HDD for TiVo a while back I noted this info on the Weaknees site:

Seagate DB35 drives have a few key differences from normal desktop drives that make them far superior to desktop drives for PVR usage:

Thermal Control: On board sensors monitor temperature and adjust characteristics as necessary to keep the temperature optimal.
Durability: These drives run at 7200 RPM - more than fast enough for every PVR (providing about three times the necessary peak throughput) but not fast enough to wear out sooner.
Acoustic Management: DVR-specific drives are specially tuned to run as quietly as possible.
A/V Streaming: DVR-specific drives have been optimized and tuned to provide consistent data to the PVR processor. Standard desktop drives can hang while retrying drive reads - DB35 drives know to move ahead and provide more data to keep video smooth.
Error Recovery: Desktop drives retry on errors to make sure that your Excel spreadsheet is exactly right - it's imperative. But when watching video, if one block of data is bad, you may not even notice a dark spot on one frame for 1/30th of a second. So these drives are tuned to move past errors faster, putting the stream of data as top priority. Where desktop drives often cause stutters, these drives run smooth.
These are key qualities to look for in any brand I would think.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.