TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my Windows 7 SP1 system, TiVo Desktop works fine, and TiVo videos play properly in Windows Media Player. On a Windows 10 system, TiVo Desktop works fine, BUT TiVo videos only play audio, NO video. I looked at the Video Codecs in Windows Media Player and they both appear to be the same.

Any suggestions?

·
Cheesehead
11,377 Posts
Win7 had the ability to play DVDs. With Win10, it is an additional purchase. The mpeg-2 codec is required for WMP to play .TiVo files. Win7 came with it, Win10 doesn't. I installed a free codec pack I got from Download K-Lite Codec Pack The Basic one should work fine. I can play .TiVo files fine with WMP on my Win10 machines now.

Or you can go to the Microsoft Store and buy the Windows DVD Player app for $14.99. I think that works too. There's a free trial for that one.

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,185 Posts
Are you on cable? This is a sign of TS/MPEG4/h.264 broadcast. (Audio only)

Try setting and enable "Faster Transfer" in Tivo Desktop and download the show again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Win7 had the ability to play DVDs. With Win10, it is an additional purchase. The mpeg-2 codec is required for WMP to play .TiVo files. Win7 came with it, Win10 doesn't.

Or you can go to the Microsoft Store and buy the Windows DVD Player app for $14.99. I think that works too. There's a free trial for that one.
Thanks. I tried the "Windows DVD Player" and despite what the description says - that it is just for playing DVDs in your computer DVD player (not movies during the trial) - it does allow Windows Media Player to play .TiVo files.

On a side note: The Windows 10 system will load .TiVo files into pre-installed Microsoft MovieMaker, but loading is VERY slow. You can then convert them to play in other players using "Save Movie in" ... (not from the File menu)... also VERY slow.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Thanks. I tried the "Windows DVD Player" and despite what the description says - that it is just for playing DVDs in your computer DVD player (not movies during the trial) - it does allow Windows Media Player to play .TiVo files.

On a side note: The Windows 10 system will load .TiVo files into pre-installed Microsoft MovieMaker, but loading is VERY slow. You can then convert them to play in other players using "Save Movie in" ... (not from the File menu)... also VERY slow.
And a faster way to "decrypt" the .tivo files into standard MPEG2 files: TiVo Decoder GUI--works like a charm.

TiVo Decoder GUI - Just another WordPress site - GmonWeb

·
Cheesehead
11,377 Posts
I use kmttg to transfer recordings from my Bolt/RoamioPlus to my PC (Win10 or Linux), and decrypt them on the fly, converting to standard mpg. That goes as fast as the TiVo can feed data over the network. It is a pretty powerful tool, allowing for ad detection and cutting, video transcoding, etc.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
I use kmttg to transfer recordings from my Bolt/RoamioPlus to my PC (Win10 or Linux), and decrypt them on the fly, converting to standard mpg. That goes as fast as the TiVo can feed data over the network. It is a pretty powerful tool, allowing for ad detection and cutting, video transcoding, etc.
@Bob Louder: And pyTivo Desktop can be set to decrypt as files are transferred from TiVo box to PC as well.

·
Registered
7,677 Posts
That's because both are MPEG2 (well unless you are on Comcast and have MPEG4 for most channels).

Scott

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,185 Posts
Reposting since everyone missed it.

Are you on cable? This is a sign of TS/MPEG4/h.264 broadcast. (Audio only)

Try in setting and enable "Faster Transfer" in Tivo Desktop and download the show again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.