TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading much on this forum on HDCP and TiVos, I was wondering if I disconnect my HDMI to the TV can I then transfer the TiVo files to my laptop via TiVo desktop. Can I play/record those files to my HDD/DVDR? Also, does having my HDD/DVDR connected to my TV with HDMI affect everything? I can record any premium channel to my HDD/DVDR from my Comcast box while viewing the actual channel. This tells me that my TiVo is what is stopping me from moving these files to my laptop or playing/recording them to my HDD/DVDR. If HMDI is the problem, I can always connect my TiVo and HDD/DVDR using component video and RCA audio.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

· Coney Island Small
26,687 Posts
I don't think it has anything to do with HDMI to your TV.

You likely can't transfer premium channel content due to your Cable company setting the Copy Protection Flag on those channels. You should be able to transfer content from any channels without that flag set.

For the premiums, I believe your only choice is to use your standalone DVDR as you described.

· Electrocuted by TiVo
4,647 Posts
After reading much on this forum on HDCP and TiVos, I was wondering if I disconnect my HDMI to the TV can I then transfer the TiVo files to my laptop via TiVo desktop. Can I play/record those files to my HDD/DVDR? Also, does having my HDD/DVDR connected to my TV with HDMI affect everything? I can record any premium channel to my HDD/DVDR from my Comcast box while viewing the actual channel. This tells me that my TiVo is what is stopping me from moving these files to my laptop or playing/recording them to my HDD/DVDR. If HMDI is the problem, I can always connect my TiVo and HDD/DVDR using component video and RCA audio.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
That's funny. I'll explain. A few years ago the MPAA successfully lobbied for this thing called HDCP. What it does is prevent unauthorized devices from receiving a signal from the main device. They specifically wanted the HDMI cabling to carry the copy never flag on it and for any device connected via HDMI to honor that flag, otherwise the device would be considered unauthorized and unable to get the signal at all.

What it boils down to is that you can't use the HDMI cable like the RCA cables of old since you'll never find a device that will accept the signal to record it. You might want to write your congressman about DRM and how it prevents you from doing things you used to be able to do.

DRM = Suckage

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.