TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1073 Posts

· TDL shepherd
17,903 Posts
Roamio ... built-in transcoding for mobile streaming (roaming)
BOLT ... upgraded hardware for 4K and better overall performance

EDGE ... ??? ... (standing at the edge of CableCARD support, peering into the abyss?)

p.s. As a bland interpretation, the “-R” in MG3-R likely just means “Retail.”

· Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What's our speculation in terms of how the TiVo Edge would differ from the TiVo Bolt? Other than having a chipset that's a bit faster (and better at transcoding), I can't really think of anything else it might have. Dolby Vision? I kinda doubt it. An updated Vox remote with no thumbs? Seems likely but hardly anything to get excited about.

The only thing I can think of that would make a significant difference is if this box runs TiVo's customized ("Operator Tier") version of Google's Android TV, the way that the STBs in the TiVo Next-Gen IPTV Platform do. Having that platform would allow for much more robust app support. But a key question is whether (or how easily) CableCARD can be supported within Android TV. I'm not aware of any devices that run both (although some may exist).

· Bryan
423 Posts
What's our speculation in terms of how the TiVo Edge would differ from the TiVo Bolt? Other than having a chipset that's a bit faster (and better at transcoding), I can't really think of anything else it might have. Dolby Vision? I kinda doubt it. An updated Vox remote with no thumbs? Seems likely but hardly anything to get excited about.
DOCSIS 3.1 and WiFi 5?

1 - 20 of 1073 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.