TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would really like to expect a higher state of TV from TiVo, unfortunately, software bugs in my TiVo Edge have essentially neutered my TiVo Edge and made it useless for it’s primary function of recording TV programs.

The problem I am having is my TiVo Edge is constantly rebooting when it is connected to either a cabled network or WiFi (more on this later). This has been going on since mid-last week and is apparently a “known issue” at TiVo. Though TiVo Tech Support has no clue what the cause of the issue is, or when/if a fix might be available. They were nice enough to end my support session when I was doing the troubleshooting they asked me to do, so I got to spend lots of time I will never get back waiting for a support rep to not help me.

Now the primary function of a DVR, including all the TiVo models, is to record programs. Something the device is incapable of doing as it is constantly rebooting. The only fix is to disconnect this from any network connection, which temporarily resolves the rebooting issue. Though the TiVo Edge gets all of it’s software updates, channel guide updates, streaming services, and sets the unit’s time and date over the internet so a network connection is required. Between all the rebooting my TiVo is now off by somewhere around 21 hours, the channel guide is out of date, and the unit is no longer able to record TV programs that we schedule.

They claim this is a “known issue” and will be addressed by their Engineering team, though they were unable to do anything else to resolve the issue or even give me an estimate of when it might be fixed. They did say my unit has been added to the list of units experiencing this issue, which is really less than helpful. Now they did have me disconnect the cabled network connection, which was the only way to get the unit to boot and not crash and reboot, and then enable WiFi connection which they said had corrected the problem with other users having this problem. Well no joy, the unit then started rebooting constantly when connecting to WiFi. I then had to power down my entire network just so I could disable my TiVo WiFi so we could at least watch live TV like we did back in the 1980s, by surfing up and down the channels until we found something we were interested in watching.

TiVo claims this is a “known issue”, but a known issue is something minor like a wrong color on a menu or an issue with the font. Basically, something that might be annoying but does not impact the core functionality of the unit. So this is not an issue, it is a severe bug, one that should have never made it out of software QA. This has essentially rendered my TiVo Edge a single-channel tuner, like a TV from the 1970s or 1980s, unable to perform it’s core function.

I have enjoyed the TiVo, this is my second unit, but I do expect the DVR to be able to do the job it was designed for. Something the Edge is currently unable to do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not on my end, still waiting for Tivo to get their **** together. My Edge did not work after deleting all of the recently deleted programs, and my guide has now expired so it is just empty. Though the clock is off by about 21 hours so the guide was sort of useless anyway. It is now also saying that we are not authorized to watch some of the channels we are authorized to watch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do not think you understand the issue, my Edge and some others, reboot continuously. So after it boots up fully, it will hang in about 10 seconds or so, then reboot in less than 10 seconds and repeat the cycle if the Edge is connected to a cabled or wireless network. The only way to get the box to boot up and be stable and usable is to disconnect the network connection.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another update, I had about 79% of the space full. I deleted out a good portion of old shows I am no longer watching or care about. I got the drive to 48% and still was getting reboots. I kept the Ethernet plug unplugged and decided to go into the "Recently Deleted Recordings" and was deleting one by one... well duh there is an easier way. I did not notice you could hit the "Clear" button over the "Recently Deleted Recordings" folder and choose to delete everything like that. I had to do that 2x or so until everything was gone, had to delete 2 shows manually. I rebooted again to be safe, waited for a tv show to play, then plugged in the Ethernet and crossed fingers. No reboots! Okay, so now I slowly went to the Network settings to do a Tivo Service update and that succeeded too! I did another reboot to be sure, and everything looks to be fine :) Crossing fingers. Hope this helps you! 😀
The reboots are being caused by a software bug that is linked to the SkipMode feature. Tivo disabled SkipMode on my Edge and the reboot cycles stopped, though now I cannot automatically skip commercials.....

I am really not sure they have sorted out exactly what is causing this, other than disabling SkipMode seems to resolve the issue for now. My Edge was continually rebooting when it was connected to either Ethernet or Wireless, and clearing the deleted programs folder had no effect on my unit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So I now get weekly calls from someone on the TiVo Executive Response Team, yeah terrible name, to update me on the progress on fixing this issue. Or more correctly, the lack of progress. Disabling the SkipMode stops the problem, but then you cannot just press one button to skip all the commercials. TiVo disabled SkipMode on mine and it did stop the continuous rebooting. Today's update was to ask me if I had a specific episode of Stephen Colbert's show on my TiVo, an episode from mid-May. Now we do record Colbert, but that episode is long since aged off the unit. They re-enabled SkipMode on my Edge this afternoon, though it does not work so they probably did not re-enable it.

So they are working on the premise that the problem was caused by this specific Colbert episode, though I doubt they really have a clue as to what is really causing this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So mine just started doing this on Friday but I'm not sure it's exactly the same situation. I have a reboot loop but only get as far as the "Starting Up" screen then I get a message that it's going to take 3 hours to fix, then a reboot, then rinse and repeat. Did that all weekend, called them this morning when they opened and got "it's a know issue, no ETA, but we'll let you know". Unfortunately I'm 2 months out of warranty with this box but I'm going to give then a day or two, then call them back and see if I can get a new out out of them. If not I'll threaten to cancel all 4 of my boxes and see where that gets me.
This is just my opinion on this. TiVo merged with Xperi in 2020. Xperi, formerly Tessera, is a company that makes money by licensing intellectual property and patents they acquire by mergers and acquisitions. Xperi has historically had no interest in being a technology company and does not want to be designing, manufacturing, and marketing hardware. So I suspect that they will sell the TiVo units until they deplete the existing inventory, or as long as there is short-term profit in it and then stop selling them. You can already see this move as they no longer sell through third parties like BestBuy, they only sell direct now.

Couple that with the cable companies starting to end support for CableCARDs since the FCC ruled they no longer have to support them in late 2020. Comcast just told me that they are no longer providing new CableCARDs but will continue to support the units in the field. Again this is just my opinion, but I would look for Xperi to spin the TiVo hardware business off at some point while retaining all of the IP and Patents. That would free them from having to provide service for existing boxes, and when the TiVo hardware business is no longer profitable the company goes into bankruptcy and shuts down.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Can't say that I disagree. I work in the software QA field professionally and I suspect something wonky has been going on with their software for a while. In May or June allot of my season passes started recording sporadically on 2 of my 3 boxes and now this. If they've had a software issue for this long and haven't notified the customer base or even offered account credits it ridiculous. I had to call them to only be told it's a "know issue" and when I asked if it was hardware or software they had no clue. I'm pretty much done with Tivo but I'm going to give them one more chance on Monday to see what they do but I may just have to give in and become a slave to Cablevision as much as I hate doing it. I refuse to pay money to Xperi for a substandard product while they decide what to do with it.
I am running a Channels DVR on my Synology NAS now, recording from Hulu and Comcast streaming sources. So far so good, though need to upgrade my storage......

As for TiVo, I am looking to move away from my TiVo so when Comcast pulls the plug on the CableCARD I already have another option up and running. Long term I will probably dump Comcast and go to full streaming. Lower cost and other than no PBS it basically has the same channels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts