TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
So mine just started doing this on Friday but I'm not sure it's exactly the same situation. I have a reboot loop but only get as far as the "Starting Up" screen then I get a message that it's going to take 3 hours to fix, then a reboot, then rinse and repeat. Did that all weekend, called them this morning when they opened and got "it's a know issue, no ETA, but we'll let you know". Unfortunately I'm 2 months out of warranty with this box but I'm going to give then a day or two, then call them back and see if I can get a new out out of them. If not I'll threaten to cancel all 4 of my boxes and see where that gets me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is just my opinion on this. TiVo merged with Xperi in 2020. Xperi, formerly Tessera, is a company that makes money by licensing intellectual property and patents they acquire by mergers and acquisitions. Xperi has historically had no interest in being a technology company and does not want to be designing, manufacturing, and marketing hardware. So I suspect that they will sell the TiVo units until they deplete the existing inventory, or as long as there is short-term profit in it and then stop selling them. You can already see this move as they no longer sell through third parties like BestBuy, they only sell direct now.

Couple that with the cable companies starting to end support for CableCARDs since the FCC ruled they no longer have to support them in late 2020. Comcast just told me that they are no longer providing new CableCARDs but will continue to support the units in the field. Again this is just my opinion, but I would look for Xperi to spin the TiVo hardware business off at some point while retaining all of the IP and Patents. That would free them from having to provide service for existing boxes, and when the TiVo hardware business is no longer profitable the company goes into bankruptcy and shuts down.
Can't say that I disagree. I work in the software QA field professionally and I suspect something wonky has been going on with their software for a while. In May or June allot of my season passes started recording sporadically on 2 of my 3 boxes and now this. If they've had a software issue for this long and haven't notified the customer base or even offered account credits it ridiculous. I had to call them to only be told it's a "know issue" and when I asked if it was hardware or software they had no clue. I'm pretty much done with Tivo but I'm going to give them one more chance on Monday to see what they do but I may just have to give in and become a slave to Cablevision as much as I hate doing it. I refuse to pay money to Xperi for a substandard product while they decide what to do with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well after my latest phone call with Tivo I'm done. It's still a known issue and they don't recommend switching out the boxes because it will most likely happen again. If I wanted to swap out the box though they would only charge me $100. I pointed out the absurdity of charging me anything to fix an issue they caused and it fell on deaf ears. With that I cancelled all of my accounts and got the new Optimum set up which is pretty good if I'm being honest. Good luck everyone, it's sad to say but Tivo may have run it's course.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts