TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done some research, and want to try to confirm some things in a more specific thread.

I have 2 HR10-250's...one is leased, and one is mine. I'm actually not really sure which is which anymore. Neither is hacked.

One of them is dying (addressed in a previous thread.) I'm going to try the clear/delete of to-do information (not things I have recorded) to see if that helps at all...but if it doesn't, I'm thinking about the (probably) inevitable switch to DTV's DVR. I realize I could possibly replace the hard drive and try to get things going, but I kinda see this switch as just a matter of time anyway.

I like in St Pete, FL (Tampa Bay area), and with my HR10-250's I get many of the OTA HD channels just fine, but not all. I like sports, and can't get FSN Florida in HD. Both of those issues will be resolved with DTVs boxes...and I can still get OTA with the new DTV boxes.

I realize the obvious change is that I'll lose the Tivo interface, and some of the functionality/ease of use. Nothing I can do about that.

If I get a network cord to my DTV box (or use some cord to wireless adapter) I can connect nearly any PC that runs Windows Media Player 11 to my DVR, and get music/photos on my TV. That's nice.

I've been a DTV customer for a long time, and by playing the CSR game, I should be able to exchange my "broken" HR10-250 for a new box for no more than $20. Will I need a new dish installed? I don't remember what I have now, can you tell by my description of what I have (I have no MPEG4 receivers in my house)

After this trade, will I still own my one HR10-250...how do they know which I own and lease? Is there any benefit to me trying to make sure I still own whatevers left...assuming this change leaves me commited to DTV for another 100 years, or whatever they want, I assume my commitment will last as long (or longer) than my leftover HR10-250.

Anything I'm missing? Thanks for the help.

· Just hangin'
12,631 Posts
You need to call DirecTV and ask which box is leased and owned. They should be able to tell you by the access card number or serial number of the unit.

You most likely have the three LNB dish now and will need to upgrade to the Slimline 5LNB dish.

· Registered
283 Posts
You will need the new 5 LNB dish known as the Slimline. This will give you access to all 5 orbital slots and is required for any MPEG4 content. Usually you can get this for free when you upgraded from the HR10 to the HR20 - I know I did. Also, I've had the HR20 for a month now and overall it's pretty good. The feature I miss most from the HR10 is the dual live buffers (DLB). The HR20 only has one buffer (but it is 90 minutes). Also, the HR20 still needs some improvement in it's trickplay (FF, RW); they are actually testing some updates to this now. Overall, I wouldn't hesitate going to the HR20. Like you say, it's inevitable if you want the new MPEG4 content due this fall.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You need to call DirecTV and ask which box is leased and owned. They should be able to tell you by the access card number or serial number of the unit.
Why do I really care...will it affect what type of deal they give me on changing to the HR20-700 (or HR20-100...whichever they're giving out)

· Done.
1,904 Posts
mdh333 said:
Why do I really care...will it affect what type of deal they give me on changing to the HR20-700 (or HR20-100...whichever they're giving out)
They will most likely want you to send back the leased one (unless you want to keep it active). Don't want to send back your owned one by mistake (so you can keep it active and/or sell it someday). You can't sell your leased one. However if they don't want the leased HR10 back I would definately get them to change it to owned on your account so you can do what you want with it.

FYI - HR20 info and talk is located here: www.dbstalk.com

· Registered
236 Posts
They replaced a dying HR10 with a new HR20 for me and I did not have to send in the HR10(leased I believe). The HR10 is active in my bedroom, but will be replaced by the HR20 when the new channels go live.
Dug
ps, they sent a couple of HR10's first, that's why I still have 1 active.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I realize they'll want me to send the leased one (and so would I, it at least gives me more options), but in reality the only one I'd send them is the dead one. I guess it can't hurt to figure out which is which before I start talking to them.

Anyone know if they figure that out by access card, serial number, or some other method? I think I read somewhere once that an access card is tied to a certain machine once activated (thus, I couldn't just switch between the 2)

If necessary, could I just open them both up and switch (without doing anything else) the hard drives to make sure I give back the leased/broken one?

· Registered
283 Posts
My HR10 was leased and in good working condition when I upgraded to the HR20. They did not ask for the HR10 back. I simply deactivated and now have it stored in my basement in case I need to temporarily use it again if my HR20 dies. So don't be so sure they're going to want an HR10 back.

· Registered
944 Posts
"I like in St Pete, FL (Tampa Bay area), and with my HR10-250's I get many of the OTA HD channels just fine, but not all. I like sports, and can't get FSN Florida in HD. Both of those issues will be resolved with DTVs boxes...and I can still get OTA with the new DTV boxes."

I would suggest you verify this with D*. They don't give you all locals in HD mpeg4. Also, they give you OTA according to your zip code, not what you think it will pick up. They have a database of local channels that the HR20 uses and if a local station is not in that database, you won't be able to see it unless they update it in a future release of the software. So, if OTA locals are important, you might need to verify before signing up for 2 years.

· Registered
283 Posts
RS4 said:
I would suggest you verify this with D*. They don't give you all locals in HD mpeg4. Also, they give you OTA according to your zip code, not what you think it will pick up. They have a database of local channels that the HR20 uses and if a local station is not in that database, you won't be able to see it unless they update it in a future release of the software. So, if OTA locals are important, you might need to verify before signing up for 2 years.

Simply go to www.zap2it.com and enter you ZIP code for the TV listings and choose local off air antenna as your source. This is the database D* uses to provide the locals to your HR20 (since the HR20 lacks the ability to scan for local signals). One of my OTA locals was not available on my HR20 until I got the station to start providing its data to www.zap2it.com (owned by Tribune Media Services). As soon as the channel was listed on zap2it, it immediately became available on my HR20 (no restart or anything needed).

(And all the channels I'm referring to are the digital signals since the HR20 only has an ATSC tuner and not an NTSC tuner for analog signals.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.