TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved into an apartment complex who has an agreement with AT&T Home Entertainment/Dish Network and its making my TV viewing miserable. I've never had such bad service in my life.

Most of my problems stem from AT&T and their lack of choice. For some reason, they do not offer an HD/DVR box. They offer the basic DISH HD programing, but you have to choose between either owning a DISH DVR or an HD box, can't have both. Its unbelievable! I'm also on the north side of the building, so I cannot install a dish. Since the building has a contract with AT&T, I can't get cable either, so I'm stuck with AT&T HE

Once you've had a DVR its impossible to go back. So I looking into a couple of options and was looking for some feedback from the community.

1. I am thinking about picking up a series 2 TiVo, I'm just unsure how it will work with satellite. While I really want to be able to record HD programming, I'll be fine if I can just record anything. I've been told by the installer that I can get "basic cable" just by plugging a TV into the cable outlet in the wall. This gives me some hope that the dual tuner in the series two will work, but will I have to have two cable lines running to the TiVo? and will I need to use to inputs on the back of my TV? Also, whats the lag? I've only had experience with the basic DVRs offered by cable companies (Time Warner, Comcast)

2. I've been told by the AT&T Home Entertainment people that I can purchase my own receiver and install it myself, and it should work. I've been thinking about picking up the DISH Vip 622 box, I just don't want to spend the $400 for it not to work. Has anyone had any experience going this route?

Any help/feedback is appreciated. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mandatory, in that it is the only choice I have. While its allowed by management to install a dish on the patio, we cannot receive a signal on our side of the building and must use the main dishes on the roof. We cannot install our own dish on the roof.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.