TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago when Tivo first came up with download software, I took a look at the product and seemed to have some usefullness. I checked some forum posts and they were filled with users who were using it and complaining about slow software and slow Tivo responses on their units. Needless to say, I never bothered to download it.

In the years since, I can only hope Tivo software is not hampered with slowdowns and is enjoyable fast. Wonder what the consenses is with todays desktop offering. Is it slowing Tivo boxes down still or has that problem been addresed?

·
what ru lookin at?
10,722 Posts
I use Tivo Desktop 2.8.2 and have no problems with it. It does everything I need it to do, YMMV.
Downloading shows is going to be slow no matter what software you use.

One caveat: If you have a Premiere, the latest TD software defaults to downloading a transport stream instead of the well known program stream.
The transfers are faster, but they currently cause issues with other decoding/editing software.
It is advised if you use Tivo Desktop to download shows from the Premiere, is to go to File -> Preferences and uncheck the box under File Transfer Speed.

I suppose if your goal is to transfer the shows for extra storage and you just plan on sending them back to the Tivo as is, leave the box checked...

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just received an iPod Touch 4g and was re-visting the TTG process. My past experience was not great with TTG 2.3.x versions.

Is the Tivo GUI still part of the process to remove the Tivo "branding" on the video file?

I thought I'd try convering the files for my iPod.

thanks in advance for any pointers

·
Registered
16,595 Posts
Years ago when Tivo first came up with download software, I took a look at the product and seemed to have some usefullness. I checked some forum posts and they were filled with users who were using it and complaining about slow software and slow Tivo responses on their units. Needless to say, I never bothered to download it.

In the years since, I can only hope Tivo software is not hampered with slowdowns and is enjoyable fast. Wonder what the consenses is with todays desktop offering. Is it slowing Tivo boxes down still or has that problem been addresed?
Tivo Desktop 2.8.2 works, but it ain't ready for primetime.

Fortunately the TiVo itself works better.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm happy with 2.8.2 to download my TiVo S2 shows. I use VideoReDo TVSuite with H.264 to edit out the commercials and save to .m4v to import into iTunes and watch on my iPods. I automate the process with VAP.

If TD doesn't automatically download shows after a while, I restart the server with this batch file (WinXP):

Code:
"C:\Program Files\TiVo\Desktop\tivotransfer.exe" /stop
"C:\Program Files\TiVo\Desktop\tivoserver.exe" /stop
"C:\Program Files\TiVo\Desktop\TiVoNotify.exe" /stop
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >NUL
rem cd c:\
rem del "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\TiVo desktop\Cache\*.cache"
"C:\Program Files\TiVo\Desktop\TiVoServer.exe"  /start
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >NUL
"C:\Program Files\TiVo\Desktop\TiVoNotify.exe"  /start
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >NUL
"C:\Program Files\TiVo\Desktop\tivotransfer.exe"  /start
TD still has a nasty habit of keeping cache files for ever, you can manually delete them from the C:\Documents and Settings\[insert username here]\Local Settings\Application Data\TiVo Desktop\Cache folder from time to time. Or do it as part of the restart batch file. Notice how I have it remarked out.

·
Registered
16,595 Posts
I'm happy with 2.8.2 to download my TiVo S2 shows. I use VideoReDo TVSuite with H.264 to edit out the commercials and save to .m4v to import into iTunes and watch on my iPods. I automate the process with VAP.

If TD doesn't automatically download shows after a while, I retart the server with this batch file (WinXP):

Code:
"C:\Program Files\TiVo\Desktop\tivotransfer.exe" /stop
"C:\Program Files\TiVo\Desktop\tivoserver.exe" /stop
"C:\Program Files\TiVo\Desktop\TiVoNotify.exe" /stop
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >NUL
rem cd c:\
rem del "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\TiVo desktop\Cache\*.cache"
"C:\Program Files\TiVo\Desktop\TiVoServer.exe"  /start
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >NUL
"C:\Program Files\TiVo\Desktop\TiVoNotify.exe"  /start
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >NUL
"C:\Program Files\TiVo\Desktop\tivotransfer.exe"  /start
TD still has a nasty habit of keeping cache files for ever, you can manually delete them from the C:\Documents and Settings\[insert username here]\Local Settings\Application Data\TiVo Desktop\Cache folder from time to time. Or do it as part of the restart batch file. Notice how I have it remarked out.
And of course neither the cache file folder or the My TiVo Recordings folder need to be on the C: drive, you can give them their own partition, probably even their own drive, and probably should.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance. I've seen many references to alternatives with examples of scripts.

Can you explain what pyTivo actually is please? Where do I run the scripts?

thanks so much

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.