TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have both Tivo Desktop Plus and KMTTG installed on my PC to download Tivo programs to my PC (I have a Series 2, if that makes any difference). I often have problems getting Desktop Plus to load up and work (the last version I received was 2.8.2), so I installed KMTTG as a backup for when the Tivo Desktop Plus is being slow and acting up. I can't change over completely to KMTTG because I can't get the automatic downloads to work, so I'd rather not disinstall Tivo Desktop Plus.

Earlier today while downloading a program from my Tivo, Tivo Desktop Plus crashed. I attempted to restart it, and got the error message "Unable to begin Tivo Desktop - Element Not Found". Sounds like a file has been corrupted or deleted somehow. The only Tivo download I can find on my computer was the 2.8.2 patch they did back when there was a date related issue, and I've run that repeatedly, and it hasn't fixed the problem.

Problem is, I can't get KMTTG to work because it thinks Tivo Desktop is downloading a program, and Tivo Desktop won't work because of the supposed missing element. I've tried restarting the computer repeatedly, killing all the Tivo related processes on the computer, stopping and restarting Bonjour (and Tivo Bonjour) and nothing is resolving the impasse. I also tried changing the number of active job limit under "Program Options" to 2, in case that helped, but no dice.

I've sent a message to Tivo support, but it could be days before I hear back from them, they may not be able to send me a zip file so I can restore the program, and I need to get this resolved and start downloading soon or I'm going to lose things from the DVR. Anyone have any suggestions what I should do? Even just to sever the connection so at least KMTTG will work?

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,350 Posts
The problem may be the server within the Tivo is stuck, and that can happen often. You would need to restart the Tivo.

I have stopped using Tivo Desktop for much the same reason, it quit loading/working and uninstalled it.
I since replaced it with PyTivo (prior to PyTivo Desktop) and no problems since. KMTTG is used to download the shows, but then you need TivoDesktop or PyTivo to be able to get the shows back to the Tivo.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem may be the server within the Tivo is stuck, and that can happen often. You would need to restart the Tivo.

I have stopped using Tivo Desktop for much the same reason, it quit loading/working and uninstalled it.
I since replaced it with PyTivo (prior to PyTivo Desktop) and no problems since. KMTTG is used to download the shows, but then you need TivoDesktop or PyTivo to be able to get the shows back to the Tivo.
Oh, I haven't been able to get the downloaded programs back to the Tivo in forever (it shows the folder, but won't list any programs to be moved, even if they are there), and the Tivo website says that part is no longer supported, so I gave up on that part long ago. Thank you for responding.

ETA: I deleted the program that Tivo Desktop had been downloading to the computer (it was actually done, though the computer still showed the two files that display when downloading is in progress) and that seemed to kick the Tivo Desktop into downloading a couple more programs to the computer, but I still can't pull up the control to manually download programs (often there's considerable delay between a recording being made and the actual automated downloading) because of the missing element. So Tivo Desktop downloaded a few programs on its own, then stopped. I'll try restarting the Tivo after Colbert. :)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks so much! That actually solved the problem. :)

(ETA: Although I should note for anyone who does this in future, I am able to bring up the Tivo Desktop Plus control panel, and operate it, but every time I download a program, I get an error message saying element not found. It still works, and downloads the program, but the error message every time you tell it to download is annoying.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.