TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Who, me?
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who are interested, I've successfully installed and run TiVo Desktop 2.4a on Windows Home Server RC1. After installing the latest JRE, HD Photos works too.

Sweet!

.../Ed

·
Registered
18 Posts
For those who are interested, I've successfully installed and run TiVo Desktop 2.4a on Windows Home Server RC1. After installing the latest JRE, HD Photos works too.

Sweet!

.../Ed
How do you install tivo desktop on WHS? It is an exe file and the add on is looking for msi files? New to WHS and am trying to get this loaded.

thanks
Rich

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed the add-in on my HP MediaSmart Windows Home Server, but whenever my Series 3 Tivo tries to access the home server it reboots! No idea if it's a bug in the Tivo or the home server add-in but it obviously renders the add-in useless for me.

I've just run across an add-in for WHS to give us the same functionality only it should be much easier to install and manage.

http://durfee.net/software/2007/07/tivo-publisher-for-whs.html

I'll be trying it out and see if it can display HD photos on the S3...

.../Ed

·
Who, me?
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up not using the add-in and am using the normal TiVo Desktop application. It installs and runs just fine - the only catch is that after a WHS reboot, I need to sign on to get the TiVo Desktop app to start up. One of these days, I'll work on figuring out to run it without logging on first.

.../Ed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bump.

Anyone else using the add-in with their windows home server?

I had a HP ex470 before I bought the Tivo.

I've gotten the Tivo to see the list of videos once. But since then nothing is coming up. Not sure if I need to make changes on the WHS side or Tivo side.

I'm streaming to the XBOX360 from WHS with no problems.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Does anyone know if WHS can run the Tivo desktop software? I have an old desktop that I only use for storing Tivo files and I would like to either replace it with a NAS box running WHS or just install WHS on the desktop and add a couple of drives set up in a RAID 1 configuration.
Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
790 Posts
After Googling this thing to death I have decided to install windows home server on a custom made PC using an Atom processor. As far as I determine I can get Tivo to Go or an equivalent running on this machine and keep my Tivo and PCs backed up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I installed TIVO Desktop on my WHS by logging in to WHS via Remote Desktop Connection. Next I created a new user account named TIVO and gave it administrator group access. Then, I logged in as TIVO and installed TIVO Desktop. I installed it under TIVO user name because when you see the server in the TIVO menus, it displays the user name and I did not want Administrator showing up. To keep the server connected, you can not log off of WHS. However, you can exit out and keep your user name logged on to keep the application running. I would like to be able to find a way to run TIVO Desktop as a service on the WHS to avoid having a user always logged on. I did notice a part of the Tivo Desktop known as “Tivo Beacon” running as a service. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

·
Registered
14 Posts
The "best" (?) way to do Tivo on WHS is, to the best of my knowledge, as I have ended up doing after much research:

1) install and configure pytivo for serving up videos (PC -> Tivo), though I couldn't get music or photos working yet but others have I think

2) install and configure Galleon for GoBack (Tivo -> PC)

3) Optional: install and configure streambaby to work through Galleon to stream videos (PC -> Tivo) with a couple of "gotchas" as it's still in early active development

Supposedly, the Tivo add-in service works well for serving up videos (PC -> Tivo), but lacks the ability to go the other direction I believe (Tivo -> PC).

I've never tried installing Tivo Desktop on WHS because I read it's a real PITA (and isn't as flexible).

There is an app you can download (register for free on their forum) from www.wegotserved.co.uk to turn any app into a service, though your mileage may vary.

·
It'll be fine....
4,163 Posts
I wanted to bring this back to the top. I am purchasing the HP MediaSmart server and want to find the best setup to work with my TIVO's.

I would love to use the WHS service if it provides similar functionality as TIVO desk top.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have all the parts for a homebrew WHS build at home and will put it together tonight. One of the first things I'll do is install Tivo Desktop. I intend to install it under the Administrator account since I have no problems with it showing up like that on the Tivos.

My plan is to login to WHS using RDP with the admin switch and install it there. So, mstsc.exe /admin. I believe the administrator account already logs itself in when WHS boots so this should be the most seamless way to get it running with every reboot. If not, it's no big deal to just log in the administrator account and leave it running.

I know running extra stuff on WHS isn't supported (or even recommended outside add-ins) but it's just a Win2k3 Server. As long as you don't goof with IIS or other required services, I can't imagine what would go wrong. If I blow things up, I'll repost. :)

·
It'll be fine....
4,163 Posts
Keep us informed.

I will be picking up the HP Mediasmart soon, but I have not decided the best configuration for my TIVO's. Options would be:

-Durfee WHS Service
-Tivo Desktop
-Pytivo

I would love to use the service, but understand it that it is not a full feature solution.

I use Tivo Desktop now and am relatively happy with it, but I understand there are installation issues. Having to remain logged in, etc...

As for Pytivo, I tried to install it a few years ago onto my home computer and could not get it to work.

Well, just let us know how everything works out for you...

·
It'll be fine....
4,163 Posts
Ok,

I ordered my Mediasmart server from Amazon this afternoon. I will be trying each of these solutions and will report back on what I like and do not like about each option.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been setting up my new WHS server over the last couple of days. Made it from the guts of an old server.

Installed pyTivo today and it was smooth as could be. I was a little hesitant as I had not seen much about it, but it really couldn't be easier. Running as Admin, and pyTivo as a service. After seeing how smooth this went in and enjoying the results, I am not even going to worry about Tivo Desktop.

·
Damn, these are fun!
607 Posts
I just setup a WHS a few days ago and moved all my video files to the server. Today I installed pyTivo just fine.

As for Tivo desktop, I prefer to run that on my desktop client PC as I use it to xfer programs, edit with Video Redo and then move to the WHS for permanent storage and use with pyTivo. I really don't want to eidt video on the server, so it makes more sense for me to have TDT on the client for this purpose.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been setting up my new WHS server over the last couple of days. Made it from the guts of an old server.

Installed pyTivo today and it was smooth as could be. I was a little hesitant as I had not seen much about it, but it really couldn't be easier. Running as Admin, and pyTivo as a service. After seeing how smooth this went in and enjoying the results, I am not even going to worry about Tivo Desktop.
I tried to install it on my WHS(the new HP one) but couldn't figure out how to get it to work. I also don't know jack about PERL or other scripts... SIGH

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.