·
Seasoned gas passer
12,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
940 Posts
Azlen said:
Looks like they only want those with a PSP or a video Ipod to sign up.
well what are you waiting for? Head on over to best buy!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great! Maybe I will be picked. I do have a PSP. I'm new to TiVo - just having set up my box on Sunday - and have wondered how video would translate to the PSP.

·
Funkadelic
4,705 Posts
Oberon2006 said:
wondered how video would translate to the PSP.
The PSP has the most gorgeous screen - seriously, it's the best out there!

The main limitation/inconveince is storage. You can get a 1GB card for about 80 bucks on Amazon now. 2GB cards can be had for twice that or under 200. There's also a 4GB hard drive with extended battery out there for $179: http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=&products_id=7825 I can't vouch for it, but it looks useful if video's your thing. Of course by then, you've spent $400 - $500 and could have gotten a nice little Zen Vision, Cowon A2, or Archos AV500.

By the way a 1GB card is fine for probably two movies or more! (Though we don't know what the new software compresses to in size or resolution.)

·
TIVO Bender
214 Posts
The Beta software will automatically expire at the end of the Beta period. At that point, you can download the final version of Desktop 2.3 with auto-transfer support.
You'll need to purchase the iPod and PSP support separately.
What does that mean? :confused:

Alex

·
L: 37-35
12,988 Posts
ZombiE said:
What does that mean? :confused:
The Beta software will automatically expire at the end of the Beta period. At that point, you can download the final version of Desktop 2.3 with auto-transfer support. You'll need to purchase the iPod and PSP support separately.

The iPod/PSP software will require a new codec to work. TiVo would have to pay to distribute the codec. When they announced the iPod/PSP support they announced that there would be an additional charge for this feature. It will be something like $20.

·
Registered
112 Posts
hmm interesting.

I tried the PSP Video 9 program. It takes forever to transcode.

I think I will try this when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
887 Posts
"iPod/PSP software will require a new codec to work."

Ack..if I understand that correctly, me not interested. I like to unleash files to be played on any medium rather than just a specific portable media platform with a specific codec.
I'm also currently using TV Harmony's AutoPilot to autodownload & convert to codecs which can be played on many handheld platforms.

However, I'm sure there will be many IPOD video owners that will take a look at Tivo once they hear about this new available feature.

·
Pawn in game of life
1,433 Posts
I'd guess that's either a typo or they're simply saying if something isn't working with your iPod or PSP, you'll have to contact Apple or Sony.

I don't think you can install codecs on an iPod. It plays what it plays.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Also, it would appear that this fethure might require you to update your PSP to firmware 2.00 (probably using the AVC codec) which is a bummer 'cos I'd rather keep my PSP at 1. so I can run homebrew software.

·
L: 37-35
12,988 Posts
Stu_Bee said:
Ack..if I understand that correctly, me not interested.
Nope, you misunderstood. Rather than codec, I probably should have used the word license.

TiVo has a license for MPEG-2 which is used on the devices and in TiVoToGo. The i-pod and PSP will not play MPEG-2. To upload the files to an i-pod or PSP they will have to be converted to MPEG-4. TiVo does not have a license per user for MPEG-4. What you are paying for if you decide to get the i-pod/PSP software from TiVo is the license to use MPEG-4. The software will likely support multiple pieces of hardware which are capable of play MPEG-4 files, not just the i-pod/PSP, though we will not know until they release more information on it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Can anyone expand upon the other features of the release, besides PSP/iPod stuff? I don't have either, but I use TTG daily and would love to know what else (if anything) we will see for it.

AC

1 - 17 of 17 Posts