TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called Tivo today and talked to two customer service representatives and neither of them knew what SDV was. Kind of disheartening that they didn't know there was a threat or not...

I understand Tivo CSRs probably aren't trained in these matters but... Shouldn't they know about something that could be potentially devastating to the retail end company?

·
Contra sceleris
3,306 Posts
Ask a local cable guy. You may get the same baffled response.

Please be merciful with CSRs. They mean well and they get a lot of unwarranted abuse.

I don't know about Tivo CSRs in particular but generally these folks are paid low wages, generally have to hold down two jobs just to make ends meet, are expected to be genius experts on technology matters, when in fact all they know is what their cheat sheets tell them. Some have decision trees of questions to ask in order to help narrow down a problem and they can solve a huge number of problems with such troubleshooting aids. They may not have actual experience what they are asking you to do, but they don't really need to.

Anyway- it's hardly devastating. The answer is that if you don't have a cablebox now, you are going to need one for your Series 1 or 2 in order to access the switched video. If you have a cablebox now, you will probably have to swap it out (which is one of the reasons that cablecos may be a little slow rolling it out- it means they have to upgrade everyone's boxes for free).

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
What difference would it make if they were SDV experts?
You would then ask how Tivo is going to support SDV. They would then have to say sorry we aren't allowed to answer that question.

The best they could possibly say is "We are hoping the cable companies will come together and develop a standard interface to SDV that we can support. We also are encouraging the cable companies to make it backwards compatible with current Tivo models. But since cable companies hate to agree on anything and generally take years to change anything, we are also realistic that it won't happen tomorrow."

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Justin Thyme said:

Please be merciful with CSRs. They mean well and they get a lot of unwarranted abuse.

I don't know about Tivo CSRs in particular but generally these folks are paid low wages, generally have to hold down two jobs just to make ends meet, are expected to be genius experts on technology matters, when in fact all they know is what their cheat sheets tell them. Some have decision trees of questions to ask in order to help narrow down a problem and they can solve a huge number of problems with such troubleshooting aids. They may not have actual experience what they are asking you to do, but they don't really need to.

Anyway- it's hardly devastating. The answer is that if you don't have a cablebox now, you are going to need one for your Series 1 or 2 in order to access the switched video. If you have a cablebox now, you will probably have to swap it out (which is one of the reasons that cablecos may be a little slow rolling it out- it means they have to upgrade everyone's boxes for free).
I thought the Series 1 and 2 could only receive analog? They can receive digital?

·
Banned
5,556 Posts
Why would a CSR know something about a feature the product doesn't have? :confused:

You are looking for a salesman. One that will tell you it does not matter because the home office is working on the whiz bang boom add on which will blow it away. :D

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Justin Thyme said:

Justin the current cable boxes will do sdv just fine since they are two way.

ajwees41

·
Contra sceleris
3,306 Posts
It is true that I make mistakes and I have made some doozies that folks here have been kind enough to point out, but I think you need to understand when I make a definitive statement I have a reason to.
There aren't any cheap-and-easy fixes. The options are ones operators have been driving toward for years: shrinking or eliminating the analog tier; moving to switched broadcast video, which transmits a program only when one or more subscribers are watching it; or adopting MPEG-4 video encoding, which is roughly twice as efficient as MPEG-2. Each will require wide-scale set-top box upgrades or replacements, as well as new equipment in headends, to effectively reclaim bandwidth.[multichannel news]
A 5 year old two way STB won't necessarily do Switched video. This factor will slow the transition. There are other factors.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Justin Thyme said:
It is true that I make mistakes and I have made some doozies that folks here have been kind enough to point out, but I think you need to understand when I make a definitive statement I have a reason to.

A 5 year old two way STB won't necessarily do Switched video. This factor will slow the transition. There are other factors.
Justin where did you get that paragraph from? What makes you think a 5 year old STB will not do SDV?

The only time they might need new STB's are if they switch to MPEG4.

If the old Motorola DCT 2000's will not do SDV and Cox Omaha is getting ready to use it they will have to replace lots of dct's that's the only NonHD box they carry.

ajwees41

·
Premium Member
38,980 Posts
magus said:
I called Tivo today and talked to two customer service representatives and neither of them knew what SDV was. Kind of disheartening that they didn't know there was a threat or not...

I understand Tivo CSRs probably aren't trained in these matters but... Shouldn't they know about something that could be potentially devastating to the retail end company?
Were you REALLY bored yesterday?? :p

·
Contra sceleris
3,306 Posts
ajwees41 said:
Justin where did you get that paragraph from? What makes you think a 5 year old STB will not do SDV?
The source link is next to the paragraph. I think it because I have seen it reported often enough in authoritative articles such as this one. Think whatever you please, but "wide-scale set-top box upgrades or replacements" means wide scale upgrade of legacy stbs for SDV.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Justin Thyme said:
The source link is next to the paragraph. I think it because I have seen it reported often enough in authoritative articles such as this one. Think whatever you please, but "wide-scale set-top box upgrades or replacements" means wide scale upgrade of legacy stbs for SDV.
That's an old article from 2006

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6400524.html

I haver seen any articles on replacing 2 way boxes because they can't do SDV that is why I was asking for some proof.

reading the paragraph agin it separates uprades from replacements.

ajwees4

·
Contra sceleris
3,306 Posts
December 2006. Maybe some of those STBs that the Multichannel article thought needed replacing/upgrading are still around after 7 months.

I don't have time to help you any further on this nit. If you don't think the author knows he is talking about, maybe you should write him an email and ask him for his proof/ straighten him out.

·
Contra sceleris
3,306 Posts
That's nice to hear. Clearly though, it's not as simple in some cable plant, leading the author to comment as he did.

As a side note, one wonders why Cable companies disallow such advanced 10 year old technology from being used in third party boxes like Tivo S3's.

·
Well-Known Mumbler
12,532 Posts
Justin Thyme said:
I don't know about Tivo CSRs in particular but generally these folks are paid low wages, generally have to hold down two jobs just to make ends meet, are expected to be genius experts on technology matters, when in fact all they know is what their cheat sheets tell them.
Yes. :(

Some have decision trees of questions to ask in order to help narrow down a problem and they can solve a huge number of problems with such troubleshooting aids.
Can they? They've never solved one of mine that way. Instead, they've wasted hours of my time -- not something a company should ignore, as it increases my dissatisfaction, and thus my chances of leaving them. Meanwhile, they may be saving on wages each hour, but they're spending more time with each customer than they would if they had competent people working the phones. Does it really come to a net savings? Has anyone done a proper study, or does one company just do it because every other company does?

·
Registered
450 Posts
do you think a tivo csr is going to tell you that your new tivo wont get some of the new channels your cable company is going to be offering? No, they are going to play stupid and keep selling these boxes until they make a new box or sdv is fully deployed. Neither has happened yet except for sdv in a few select cities.

·
I can't explain
25,527 Posts
you all are forgetting the average time on a call. It is one metric CSRs are measured by. Now they get some leeway for problems that are tiVo's and might take some time on the phone to deal with.
but If I was an ambitous CSR and wanted to keep my average call time as low as possible, then I would not know a thing about SDV as there is nothing I can fix about it and talking about it won't help my employer either. So I know nothing.

A better test would be ti find some channels that are SDV and call in and ask why you are not seeing them on your S3. Then the response should be "That is due to SDV", and whatever explanation it takes to ensure the customer understands the issue. Even so all that could be said is TiVo is exploring options on various fronts to fix this problem.

better yet, the CSRs could be left alone to deal with actual calls vs just trolling their general knowledge level

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.