TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I am new here and i think this place is great. :)

As of now, i don't have a TiVo but I am planning to buy one of those series 2 TiVo. I just have a question though, can i connect my Digital CamCorder to a TiVo and record? If so, how? If that is possible, can I use TiVo's amazing playback features such as Instant Replay, pause and FF?

And another, will it support ordinary cable connections? I'm from the Philppines and there ain't no TiVo providers here, but i want to record TV shows from our local cable stations.

hope you can help and thank you very much!!

· Banned
3,481 Posts
redbaks said:
And another, will it support ordinary cable connections? I'm from the Philppines and there ain't no TiVo providers here, but i want to record TV shows from our local cable stations.
You won't be able to get a subscription, so you won't be able to record anything. What you need is plain old DVR.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply!

yes what i initially wanted was an ordinary DVR, but TiVo's playback features such as the instant replay, slomo, pause are what want. I want to be able to playback while recording.

i've read tivo customer support (i would have posted the link but i am new and restricted to) that connecting a TiVo is possible. but i some said that i only need a basic tivo.

can somebody point me where can i find this basic tivo?

thanks!!

· I can't explain
19,455 Posts
not sure about the phillipines but there is a group in Australia that use the Series 1 without TiVo selling subscriptions there. do a google search on Australia and tiVo and maybe you will come across someone with helpful advice that way.

I also do not know about Phillipine TV signal and if it is comaptible with TiVo. Hopefully someone will chime in on that.

assuming it is compatible perhaps a series 2 with dvd burner in it will fit your needs. I know you can easily record from a camcorder to the TiVo on those (I have the RS TX 20 Toshiba model) There are even menus for recording from a camcorder and you can name the recording what you want. The unit also comes with TiVo basic which means that without a sub you can do manual recordings. Again the warning is, I have no idea if TiVo basic will do alright connecting across the internet from the Phillipines, if it does then you will have to pick some gudie data for channel lineup and you manual recordings will have show names that do not match up. yopu can check out www.zap2it.com as that is where TiVo gets the guide data for various channel lineups from. maybe you get lucky and find something similar.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks zeotivo!

does the tivo actually requires a subscription to access it's playback functionality? i searched the toshiba site and found the D-VR650 with tuner. does the toshiba DVRs have similar playback capabilities ?

sorry for being stupid on DVRs. It's just there are no available HD quality DVRs here.

· I can't explain
19,455 Posts
redbaks said:
thanks zeotivo!

does the tivo actually requires a subscription to access it's playback functionality? i searched the toshiba site and found the D-VR650 with tuner. does the toshiba DVRs have similar playback capabilities ?

sorry for being stupid on DVRs. It's just there are no available HD quality DVRs here.
The Toshiba RS TX20 TiVo/DVD-r does not require a sub for playback
there is also the Toshiba RS TX60 - bigger hard drive
and Toshiba SD H400 that is just DVD player (and not as good DVD playback interface)

all of these come with TiVo basic that allows playback of recorded shows and DVDs without paying for a subscription. NOTE - these are all Standard definition only
You can watch the 30 minute live buffe as well, assuming the TV signal is compatible. You can also setup manaual recordings though again, I have no idea how well that will work in the Phillipines so do some research on that.

· Astute User
11,392 Posts
IMO, if you want it to readily support your cable, you need to get a DVR that in fact is sold in your market.

· I can't explain
19,455 Posts
redbaks said:
Actually my main purpose of me buying a DVR is to record coming from a DV Camcorder with TiVo's playback features.

thanks! great site.
in that case I guess we got a little sidetracked. I have done this very thing with my RS TX20 Toshiba TiVo DVR before the TiVo was subscribed. It worked great and I could also burn DVDs of the recording. the only thing missing is a way to edit the movies once on the Tivo

· Contra sceleris
1,715 Posts
Coaches for example love this for showing atheletes what they are doing.

I used a Tivo Toshiba DVD recorder that Zeo mentioned for people working on improving their public speaking and singing/ musicial stage skills. Similar application. I've seen these go for around $150 on ebay.

Worked great because I could burn a copy afterwards that they could take with them. As Zeo stated- I didn't need a Tivo subscription or let it connect. It was perfectly happy.

· Astute User
11,392 Posts
Nearly all standalone DVRs do the same thing. You don't really need a TiVo for the primary purpose of recording and playing back from a camcorder. The playback interface will generally the same. IMO for that purpose, it is not worth it to try and make a (subscribed or Plus subbed) TiVo work out-of market.

For the secondary purpose of recording and playing back directly from cable, you really need a DVR in your market, especially to record from or with DVR based guide data. Where TiVo shines is in its guide data based recording, which of course is unavailable in The Philippines.

Not to say one of the aformentiond DVD combo TiVos may not work.

Oh, and the Humax DVD combos don't have the free Basic mode that Toshiba and Pioneer units have, neither do any non DVD Series 2.

· Contra sceleris
1,715 Posts
Gee Classic- I dunno if any of the third party ones have guides for programming in the philippines. If Sky-OZ has a DVR sure it will have a guide, but it's not going to have an analog input. Maybe there is some free guide thing for third party boxes but I really doubt they are going to do Philippine programming so what's the difference. You are recording by channel and time, and you can do that on a Toshiba Tivo. It plays NTSC so that will work too.

I'd go for lowest price, personally for what sounds like a dedicated application- but yeah the Toshiba Tivo will work even if you want to record TV afterwards.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.