TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TiVo is reporting… er, selling our viewing behavior to anybody who wants to pay for it. This is network programmers, advertisers and more:

The data is anonymous, apparently.

The article is 5 years old. Anyone know if TiVo’s viewer reporting has changed since then?

· Registered
2,169 Posts
TiVo is reporting… er, selling our viewing behavior to anybody who wants to pay for it. This is network programmers, advertisers and more:

The article is 5 years old. Anyone know if TiVo’s viewer reporting has changed since then?
As far as I know, this has been the case from the beginning, or close to it. And you can opt out.

Font Circle Rectangle Number Handwriting

· wait.. I did what?
15,512 Posts
Are you surprised? this has been the way since day one, heck it's how they stayed in business.
You CAN opt-out but it will significantly diminish your Tivo experience and drop you back to SD menus in TE3, I don't know off hand how TE4 handles opt-out.

· Registered
5 Posts
If you would like some privacy on some of your data, use the duck duck go browser and search engine. At least then, you won't be solicited for everything that you might have looked at once.

Facebook and TiVo did not invent this selling of your data and privacy.

· HD Tech
1,092 Posts
Are you surprised? this has been the way since day one, heck it's how they stayed in business.
The only people who refused to buy the very granular data TiVo offered are the major networks, who were too frightened of what actual hard data from real time monitoring of people's viewing hardware would reveal about the real size of their audience, which is FAR smaller than they claim.

I have no idea what is being monitored and send to 'mom' now, but the TiVo used to report every single keypress on the TiVo remote, every show you watched, every season's pass, every show you walked away from halfway, everything you did. It was the perfect data set of nailing precisely what TiVo users were watching.

And as @dianebrat said, it was how they made money on the people who opted for lifetime service.

· Registered
34 Posts
The only people who refused to buy the very granular data TiVo offered are the major networks, who were too frightened of what actual hard data from real time monitoring of people's viewing hardware would reveal about the real size of their audience, which is FAR smaller than they claim.

I have no idea what is being monitored and send to 'mom' now, but the TiVo used to report every single keypress on the TiVo remote, every show you watched, every season's pass, every show you walked away from halfway, everything you did. It was the perfect data set of nailing precisely what TiVo users were watching.

And as @dianebrat said, it was how they made money on the people who opted for lifetime service.
I don't know why we really care. The data is anonymous I believe, not generating any ads to us etc. I support helping local journalistic news media to find the main source for facts, not wild false conspiracy theories. Sadly dishonest news via social media results in factual ignorance for many.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts