TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Cable Box, a satellite box, Tivo, and a VHS/DVD Player. I would like to record a cable program while watching another program. TIVO customer tech support says I cannot do this. Does anyone know of a fix

·
Hubcaps r in fashion
7,486 Posts
Is your TiVo set up to work with both a cable box and a satellite box at the same time?

I didn't know that was one of the options.

Are you saying you already have it set up that way, or that you'd LIKE to set it up that way?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can set it up that way, but you cannot record and watch another program at the same time.

·
Hubcaps r in fashion
7,486 Posts
If you're looking to set the TiVo to record one channel, but then also set the TiVo to a different channel to watch, it can't because stand-alone TiVo's are only designed to receive one channel at a time.

If your cable box has more than one output, or you can split the output from it, you could run a second feed to your TV.

Likewise with your satellite box. If it can feed more than one piece of equipment at a time, or the cable can be split AFTER the satellite tuner, you could run the second line to your TV.

Using different inputs or a switchbox, you could, at your TV, select between the cable box, the satellite tuner, and your TiVo.

Just remember, tho'-

If you're recording from the satellite box, you won't be able to watch a different satellite channel on the TV, unless the satellite box has two tuners.

Likewise your cable box. It also can likely only tune one channel at a time. If your TiVo is using the cable box, your TV can't use the cable box to watch a different channel.

Now if you split the cable BEFORE the cable box, you could feed unscrambled analog channels directly to your TV (again, likely thru a switchbox).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts