TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two Series2 with Lifetime and think it's time that I take the plunge to HD. I have some questions.

Will the addition of a Cable Card allow me to not use a Set-Top Box?

Do I need a Cable Card for OTA?

The root of my question is, I'd like to set up my S3 or HD TIVO (yet to be purchased) to use my OTA and Comcast Cable Card (No Set-top box).

-Status

p.s. Yes, I do have a HD TV to go with the mix.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Yes cable cards replaces your cable companies set-top box (STB).
No you do not need cable cards for over the air (OTA).

Good Luck,

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
A J Ricaud said:
You will need 2 CableCARDS if you want to use the Tivo's dual tuner function.
No. You only need 2 CableCards (or 1 M Card) if you want dual digital cable tuner functionality. The box works just fine for dual analog or dual OTA.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
rainwater said:
No. You only need 2 CableCards (or 1 M Card) if you want dual digital cable tuner functionality. The box works just fine for dual analog or dual OTA.
True, but I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that since he wants to use a cablecard that he also has cable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can I run it as 1 Cable Card and use the other input for OTA, thus giving me local HD through Cable Card and OTA?

-Status

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Status said:
Can I run it as 1 Cable Card and use the other input for OTA, thus giving me local HD through Cable Card and OTA?

-Status
With only 1 CableCard the whole system becomes single tuner. But you can do OTA fine with no cablecards, regular analog cable, or with cablecards. You can only record from 2 sources at a time.

The box has a internal splitter for the antenna and cable input so there is no need for either to be single tuner.

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
1 S-card disables the second tuner chain altogether. You need two S-cards or one M-card (in a TiVoHD, or two in a Series 3 for now).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts