TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at my vacation home, and I wanted to upgrade my Tivo Premiere to Bolt Vox, and I also want to change from powerline Ethernet to MOCA. The modem/router is in a different room than the Tivo. So i have a new Bolt Vox and a Tivo Bridge.

I have Charter/Spectrum (whatever they call themselves now) I have my own cable modem which is a Linksys, and an Apple Airport Extreme. I connected the Bridge to the splitter, model, and router.

Before powering up the Bridge, all is good, there is a solid yellow US light on the modem, the Airport has a solid green light. When I connect the power plug into the Bridge, all is good at first, but after about 60 seconds, the modem light starts to flash, and the Airport light starts to blink yellow, and I have no Internet service. When I unplug the Bridge power, after 5 seconds, lights are good again, service is good again. I can repeat this over and over, same result. So I am not able to setup my Tivo yet.

At my primary how, I have several Tivos, and I have FIOS, so the MOCA setup could not be any easier.

Any ideas on why this happens or how it can be resolve? I appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
So, you have a 3 port splitter connected to the Modem, the Bridge and feeding the Bolt in the other room?

And if the Bridge is powered on, the Modem drops its 'connected' light?

Could you try a 2 port splitter to the Modem and then another 2-port to the Bridge/TiVo?

Or, how about a MoCA Filter at the input to the Modem?

-KP

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,309 Posts
We would need to know how you have your network set up, a diagram helps.

·
TDL shepherd
17,390 Posts
Or, how about a MoCA Filter at the input to the Modem?
^^^ this ^^^

Some cable modems become unstable when MoCA signals are present, so installing a MoCA filter on the modem's coax input port blocks the MoCA signals and allows the modem to hum along oblivious to the MoCA network on the coax lines.

That said, what brand/model # is your cable modem?

edit: p.s. If you're using a tuning adapter with your TiVo, the same "prophylactic" MoCA filter caution applies to TAs. (see >here<)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^^ this ^^^

Some cable modems become unstable when MoCA signals are present, so installing a MoCA filter on the modem's coax input port blocks the MoCA signals and allows the modem to hum along oblivious to the MoCA network on the coax lines.

That said, what brand/model # is your cable modem?

edit: p.s. If you're using a tuning adapter with your TiVo, the same "prophylactic" MoCA filter caution applies to TAs. (see >here<)
It is a Linksys Cable modem. I don't see a model on the unit. I do not have a tuning adapter.

·
TDL shepherd
17,390 Posts
It is a Linksys Cable modem. I don't see a model on the unit.
No white sticker on the back or underneath? (The model number is needed to research whether there are any known MoCA issues with the particular model.)

Regardless, do you have a "PoE" MoCA filter anywhere on the premises? If so, install it on the coax input of the modem and try the TiVo Bridge again.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We would need to know how you have your network set up, a diagram helps.
I don't know how to diagram this in the forum, but:

Coax comes in from wall
--- connects to spliiter
--- to Bridge
--- ethernet to router
--- to Cable modem
--- ethernet to router

All works until bridge power is turned on

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No white sticker on the back or underneath? (The model number is needed to research whether there are any known MoCA issues with the particular model.)

Regardless, do you have a "PoE" MoCA filter anywhere on the premises? If so, install it on the coax input of the modem and try the TiVo Bridge again.
I have heard of the filter, but i did not know where it gets connected. I don't have one, but i believe it's a pretty cheap part, so i will order one, and it sounds easy if it just gets connected to the router. I thought the filter was just a security device to keep your network from getting accessed by a neighbor. Thanks, i'll try this!

·
TDL shepherd
17,390 Posts
I have heard of the filter, but i did not know where it gets connected. I don't have one, but i believe it's a pretty cheap part, so i will order one, and it sounds easy if it just gets connected to the router. I thought the filter was just a security device to keep your network from getting accessed by a neighbor. Thanks, i'll try this!
Stealing from a parallel post to another thread...

Note that this potential use of a MoCA filter as protection for the modem is distinct from the need to install a MoCA filter at the cable provider's Point-of-Entry to the home, the "PoE" MoCA filter. See >here< for more on the required "PoE" MoCA filter.​

'gist: You still need a MoCA filter installed to secure your MoCA network, installed at the cable signal "PoE" (point-of-entry), ideally on the input of the first split encountered by the incoming cable signal (and typically in an outside junction box or at a wall panel); the MoCA filter for the modem, as described previously, just blocks the MoCA signals from the modem, it does nothing to secure your network.

I was hoping you had a MoCA filter on-hand, in order to confirm whether that was a fix.

edit: p.s. I had intended to explicitly state this but appear to have forgotten... You may require 2 total MoCA filters for your setup, one at the "PoE" and one on the input of your modem. They're cheap enough, so I'd recommend ordering two, to be on the safe side.

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,309 Posts
I don't know how to diagram this in the forum, but:

Coax comes in from wall
--- connects to spliiter
--- to Bridge
--- ethernet to router
--- to Cable modem
--- ethernet to router

All works until bridge power is turned on
Can you confirm from below?

Wall coax <-> POE <-> 3 way splitter <->
  • cable TV
  • Cable modem coax <->router WAN port
  • MoCa adapter <-> router LAN port

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,309 Posts
To post a diagram, just draw it on paper, take a picture with phone and use "Upload a file" button.

Reactions: krkaufman

·
TDL shepherd
17,390 Posts
While you're still at the vacation home, you may want to figure out how the coax outlets in the various rooms centrally connect, and via what coax component -- to determine whether this device is MoCA friendly. It would also aid in determining where the "PoE" MoCA filter needs to go.

p.s. Post a pic or model number of your central splitter, if you can locate it.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Possibly you could select a fairly high frequency on your TiVo's MoCA settings so that when you connect the Bridge it moves the signal high enough to not disrupt the modem.

Apparently there's not any adjustments for the TiVo Bridge / ECB6200?

-KP

·
TDL shepherd
17,390 Posts
Wall coax <-> POE <-> 3 way splitter <->
  • cable TV
  • Cable modem coax <->router WAN port
  • MoCa adapter <-> router LAN port
OP can confirm their connections, but I wanted to make sure that there was no confusion Re: the "PoE" MoCA filter; it would NOT be installed on the input of the splitter within this room, since doing so would block any MoCA signals from exiting the room.

The "PoE" MoCA filter needs to be installed on the input of the first split encountered by the cable signal as it enters the home, not the first splitter in a room. (It's not impossible the two would be the same, but that's not the case for the OP.)

·
TDL shepherd
17,390 Posts
From the sound of it, you're looking to do something similar to the following diagram...

Product Rectangle Font Parallel Slope

... though:
  • you may need a MoCA filter on the modem's coax input;
  • scratch the Mini, unless there's something you're not telling us;
  • ignore the switch connected to the BOLT, for now;
  • adjust the central splitters, as needed (ideally reporting what you actually have).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Possibly you could select a fairly high frequency on your TiVo's MoCA settings so that when you connect the Bridge it moves the signal high enough to not disrupt the modem.

Apparently there's not any adjustments for the TiVo Bridge / ECB6200?

-KP
That would not help because once I turn on the bridge, I have no internet service at all.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
From the sound of it, you're looking to do something similar to the following diagram...

... though:
  • you may need a MoCA filter on the modem's coax input;
  • scratch the Mini, unless there's something you're not telling us;
  • ignore the switch connected to the BOLT, for now;
  • adjust the central splitters, as needed (ideally reporting what you actually have).
Yes, that is correct. I do not have a Mini now, but would like to add a couple once this works. And in the TV room, i don't think i need the switch. But where exactly does the POE filter go? Is that outside the house? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Loss of internet after powering on a MoCA adapter is almost a guaranteed sign that the modem is not MoCA friendly and reacts to the MoCA frequencies as interference. The fix would normally be to install a MoCA filter on the input of cable modem in addition to having a normal MoCA POE (Point of Entry) filter on the input of the first splitter to enter your home. MoCA POE and Whole Home DVR filters are functionally the same thing and are available via Ebay, Amazon, or many other online providers.
BTW that Linksys BEFCMU10 is only DOCSIS 2.0, ancient by todays standards and not usable on most of the larger ISP's. Whatever other issues you may have, you might benefit from almost any DOCSIS 3.0 modem which your ISP supports.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.