TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I would like to get a mini to go with my Bolt Vox. My Bolt is OTA with an ethernet connection.

My Bolt will be in my living room. I'd like the mini in my bedroom. Amazon sells the mini or mini and adapter. Do i need the adapter to connect to wifi?

Also, would i be able to watch my mini by pulling OTA signals from the bolt? Or do i need a coax connection to my mini in addition to my Bolt?

· TDL shepherd
17,753 Posts
The Mini just needs a network connection, preferably wired via Ethernet or MoCA, but wireless can work … though wireless is DIY sans TiVo Support outside the configuration options for the newish TiVo Wi-Fi 5 USB Adapter. (A95 Mini running TE4, 5GHz WiFi-only)

I’d look at MoCA, first, if Ethernet isn’t a possibility.

· Registered
57 Posts
The Mini just needs a network connection, preferably wired via Ethernet or MoCA, but wireless can work … though wireless is DIY sans TiVo Support outside the configuration options for the newish TiVo Wi-Fi 5 USB Adapter. (A95 Mini running TE4, 5GHz WiFi-only)

I’d look at MoCA, first, if Ethernet isn’t a possibility.
To use MoCA, does it require a coax connection or can it go through a power outlet?

· TDL shepherd
17,753 Posts
To use MoCA, does it require a coax connection or can it go through a power outlet?
Though technically "wired," the Powerline approach you suggest doesn't fit into the officially supported "wired network" classification with Ethernet and MoCA.

Like with Wi-Fi, some people have success with Powerline networking of TiVo's (calling @dianebrat), others less so.

· wait.. I did what?
15,512 Posts
Though technically "wired," the Powerline approach you suggest doesn't fit into the officially supported "wired network" classification with Ethernet and MoCA.

Like with Wi-Fi, some people have success with Powerline networking of TiVo's (calling @dianebrat), others less so.
Powerline isn't "not approved" however :)
However with decent wiring, powerline is more reliable than WiFi and far less prone to interference, even the slowest powerline setup is usually more than sufficient to run a Mini.

· TDL shepherd
17,753 Posts
Powerline isn't "not approved" however
To the best of my knowledge, this is an accurate statement:

‘doesn't fit into the officially supported "wired network" classification’​

Please show me a TiVo Support page stating that Powerline is a supported network connection for a Mini. I think I qualified the statement sufficiently, above, but being misleading on this point may negatively impact the OP down the road if/when they contact TiVo for support, or right now, for that matter, asking for help getting their Powerline setup working.

· wait.. I did what?
15,512 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, this is an accurate statement:
‘doesn't fit into the officially supported "wired network" classification’​

Please show me a TiVo Support page stating that Powerline is a supported network connection for a Mini. I think I qualified the statement sufficiently, above, but being misleading on this point may negatively impact the OP down the road if/when they contact TiVo for support, or right now, for that matter, asking for help getting their Powerline setup working.
I wasn't disputing your advice :)
Just pointing out they don't say to not use it.
However my opinion has always been that network connectivity issues are not Tivo's responsibility, a user should be responsible for the network connection to the unit, even if that means plugging a laptop into the RJ45 cable one is going to use for a network connection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts