TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Tivo Bolt OTA - monthly fee

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  ThAbtO 
#1 ·
Hey guys, how much do y'all pay for monthly service?
I have a TIVO Bolt OTA and I noticed on the Tivo site the monthly fee is $6.99 and I've been paying $14.99 since 2016! WTF
That and the spam before my recordings start has to go, not looking good for Tivo, time to start looking for alternatives.

#3 ·
"spam" are referred to as "pre-roll ads" and there's a thread somewhere abouts explaining what to do to get them removed. (I believe by calling TiVo Customer Service and asking them to remove them.)

$7 is the retail rate for a monthly service subscription for one of their OTA-only DVRs, but your rate may have been different owing to some other promotion at the time of purchase.

#4 ·
Paying monthly is TOO much! Even if you are paying 6.99, Tivo ended the Multi-service discounts.
If you do the math, $15 x 12 months = $180 x 5 years = $900
In the long run, Lifetime is cheaper @ $550

#9 ·
Straight out of my billing history:
Billed 07/25/2016 TiVo Bundle, 1 Year, Monthly $14.99 $1.05 $16.04
Billed 07/25/2016 TiVo BOLT 500 GB $199.99 $14.00 $213.99
Didn't realize the regular Bolt did OTA, would have gotten the OTA only version - fairly certain the OTA version was released afterwards.

#10 ·
No doubt a bolt+.

As for the wisdom of lifetime. Alternative viewpoint here. Firstly even in the past the product life cycle for the TiVo DVRs generally is less than 5 years. Or should I say upgrade life cycle. Then you are at the mercy of TiVo to offers transfer of your service for a “discounted” rate. Paying annually instead nets you 3yrs and 8months for the same $550.
Given the above and the apparent de-emphasis on the hardware/traditional DVR service in favor of apps and streaming makes me feel like the annual plan is the way to go right now.

#12 ·
Paying annually instead nets you 3yrs and 8months for the same $550.
Given the above and the apparent de-emphasis on the hardware/traditional DVR service in favor of apps and streaming makes me feel like the annual plan is the way to go right now.
The value of the box at the end of that window of time matters to many of those choosing Lifetime/All-In.

#11 ·
No doubt a bolt+.
Not ... given the OP is tuning OTA. (And the BOLT+ was a 6-tuner CableCARD-only model.)

Didn't realize the regular Bolt did OTA, would have gotten the OTA only version - fairly certain the OTA version was released afterwards.
You would have needed to get the Roamio OTA, at that time, as the OTA-only BOLT OTA wouldn't be released for 2 more years. Though, I don't believe that the $8/mo monthly subscription rate became available until the release of the BOLT OTA.

Sidebar: The new EDGE series DVRs lack a combo/either-or model similar to your BOLT. One must choose between cable and OTA at purchase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.