TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have received conflicting info on this.

I read in this forum that mentioned that you can no longer use the eSATA port on an hard drive enclosure due to an update on the Tivo software around 2017 or so. Now, to connect an external hard drive that’s inside of an enclosure to the Tivo, you will have to bypass the eSATA port on the enclosure and go direct SATA to SATA from the motherboard of the Tivo to the hard drive itself and have the enclosure just be used to give power to the hard drive.

But I’ve looked at a Bolt external hard drive upgrade video tutorial from Weakness dated 2021 and they were able to use the eSATA port on an enclosure to do the connection.

I contacted them recently and told them about this problem and they said that they have special cables and equipment to make it happen. They’re selling the upgrade kit for around $125.

Are they telling the truth? Has anyone ever bought the upgrade kit from them? I rather do the connection this way since less cables are involved and it looks cleaner. Looking forward to hearing from anyone.

· Registered
1,568 Posts
But I’ve looked at a Bolt external hard drive upgrade video tutorial from Weakness dated 2021 and they were able to use the eSATA port on an enclosure to do the connection.

I contacted them recently and told them about this problem and they said that they have special cables and equipment to make it happen. They’re selling the upgrade kit for around $125.

Are they telling the truth? Has anyone ever bought the upgrade kit from them? I rather do the connection this way since less cables are involved and it looks cleaner. Looking forward to hearing from anyone.
I don't have theirs BUT they have absolutely no reason to tell you 'tales'. I have a Sabrent ec-ueis7 that's actually new that if you're interested in a DIY I could supply.

· der Neuerer
3,457 Posts
I have received conflicting info on this.

I read in this forum that mentioned that you can no longer use the eSATA port on an hard drive enclosure due to an update on the Tivo software around 2017 or so. Now, to connect an external hard drive inside of an enclosure, you will have to bypass the eSATA port on the enclosure and go direct SATA to SATA from the motherboard to the hard drive itself and have the enclosure just be used to give power to the hard drive.

Well have set something up similar to Weaknees for Bolt. It consists of 3 items.

SANS DIGITAL TowerSTOR TS1UT+B 1-Bay 3.5" SATA to USB 3.0 / eSATA Enclosure

CY Dual Power 12V and 5V eSATAp Power ESATA USB 2.0 Combo to 22Pin SATA Cable for 2.5" 3.5" Hard Disk Drive 50cm

CY 3.5 & 2.5inch SATA 22Pin 7+15 Male to SATA 22P 7+15 Male Extension convertor Straight Adapter

Works for me. I was concerned that the enclosure would get too hot since it does not have a fan. I did a test running a 18 TB drive with a full read, write, and read test which lasted for several days. Temp was within specs.

I connected the straight adapter to the Bolt SATA/power connector, the the cable to that and my enclosure. You can disconnect the power plug from the Bolt cable to the motherboard if you like. I did initially but after some research, the enclosure does not have contacts for power so I plugged it back in.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well have set something up similar to Weaknees for Bolt. It consists of 3 items.

SANS DIGITAL TowerSTOR TS1UT+B 1-Bay 3.5" SATA to USB 3.0 / eSATA Enclosure

CY Dual Power 12V and 5V eSATAp Power ESATA USB 2.0 Combo to 22Pin SATA Cable for 2.5" 3.5" Hard Disk Drive 50cm

CY 3.5 & 2.5inch SATA 22Pin 7+15 Male to SATA 22P 7+15 Male Extension convertor Straight Adapter

Works for me. I was concerned that the enclosure would get too hot since it does not have a fan. I did a test running a 18 TB drive with a full read, write, and read test which lasted for several days. Temp was within specs.

I connected the straight adapter to the Bolt SATA/power connector, the the cable to that and my enclosure. You can disconnect the power plug from the Bolt cable to the motherboard if you like. I did initially but after some research, the enclosure does not have contacts for power so I plugged it back in.

The enclosure model you listed is working with an up-to-date Tivo Bolt? And what is the 3rd item you listed (The “male extension converter)? I don’t see it being used in the Weakness video.

Also, why is there a thread here saying that eSATA connection on a hdd enclosure does not work anymore? Is there something to it or is it that only some eSATA hdd enclosures work?

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have theirs BUT they have absolutely no reason to tell you 'tales'. I have a Sabrent ec-ueis7 that's actually new that if you're interested in a DIY I could supply.
That enclosure will actually work in a up to date Tivo Bolt? I’m looking to use a 8TB 3.5” WD RED Plus hdd. Why is there a thread saying that eSATA no longer works any more?

· Registered
54 Posts
The online descriptions of that enclosure only talk about eSATA, not eSATAp, and it is difficult for me to tell from their photos which eSATA receptacle ("eSATA port") it has. Presumably it needs to be eSTATp, since the conversion cable you specify mentions eSATAp and "Power eSATA", and indicates it will not work with just plain eSATA. But the enclosure also includes a "wall wart" power supply (apparently 12VDC, 2A) and a barrel connector receptacle ("power port") for it. I do not understand your statement that "the enclosure does not have contacts for power". Does the enclosure's "wall wart" only work with its USB 3.0 connection?

Are you powering the enclosure/drive from the Bolt's internal power via eSATAp, or via the enclosure's "wall wart"?

· der Neuerer
3,457 Posts
The online descriptions of that enclosure only talk about eSATA, not eSATAp, and it is difficult for me to tell from their photos which eSATA receptacle ("eSATA port") it has. Presumably it needs to be eSTATp, since the conversion cable you specify mentions eSATAp and "Power eSATA", and indicates it will not work with just plain eSATA. But the enclosure also includes a "wall wart" power supply (apparently 12VDC, 2A) and a barrel connector receptacle ("power port") for it. I do not understand your statement that "the enclosure does not have contacts for power". Does the enclosure's "wall wart" only work with its USB 3.0 connection?

Are you powering the enclosure/drive from the Bolt's internal power via eSATAp, or via the enclosure's "wall wart"?
The enclosure does NOT have an eSATAp port and cannot be powered by the Bolt. Consequently the reason it does not matter if you keep the drive power connector plugged into the Bolt motherboard or not. As such the enclosure can only be powered by the wall wart.

If you can find the same cable that is eSATA only and not eSATAp then get that one. This was the one I can source easily. The straight adapter is because I could not source the cable that Weaknees uses bit can source the adapter. Essentially my adapter plus my cable equals the Weaknees cable.

· Registered
54 Posts
The enclosure does NOT have an eSATAp port and cannot be powered by the Bolt. ...
If you can find the same cable that is eSATA only and not eSATAp then get that one. This was the one I can source easily. ...
My question isn't about the 22 pin SATA data + power "male-to male" adapter; that makes sense to me, if you want to connect to the Bolt internal 22 pin cable.

When I search on the text description you gave for the new cable "CY Dual Power 12V and 5V eSATAp Power ESATA USB 2.0 Combo to 22Pin SATA Cable for 2.5" 3.5" Hard Disk Drive 50cm", I find this apparently matching item on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/HDMIHOME-Power-eSATAp-ESATA-combo/dp/B00GM7CMFG.
In the description for that cable is the following image, indicating to me that it is actually eSATAp on the end away from the 22 pin connector.
Font Rectangle Parallel Circle Logo

If that cable requires a "Power ESATA" socket (presumably their name for "eSATAp") and the enclosure "does NOT have an eSATAp port", how do you connect them?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts